Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly, I would say that the extra $700 is worth it unless you know that the MCU was replaced in the last year or two.

When you buy a MCU, or touchscreen, out of warranty it comes with a 4-year warranty. So that $700 gets you a new MCU that is guaranteed for 4 more years. (No mileage limit.)

How much does it cost someone to do the replacement of the eMMC? (I know that the parts are cheap, but how much are they paying for a cell phone repair shop to desolder/resolder the chip? And then how many hours of disassembly/reassembly of their car? And how many days of downtime with the back and forth?)

And of course you can request to keep your old MCU and you should be able to sell it to recover most, if not all, of that extra $700. (After all it is working just with a bad screen...)

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I'm gonna bite the bullet and get the whole unit changed out. Interestingly enough, the part they quoted me looks like it may be re-manufactured? I'll have to inquire about the warranty on this part. I've attached the quote that I was sent in cause it comes in handy for anyone else...

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    29.8 KB · Views: 298
  • Helpful
Reactions: erik_k and zwede
Go for it ! Exchange of a complete MCU here in Germany is >3000€ plus work, so far over $3600

I had a small glitch in my emmc swap. fsck deleted the files in /var/etc, all keys. Did not check if after fsck ran.
Car was running, all fine, except there was no connection to the Tesla server. Put the files (had a a backup) back in the folder and now everything is fine again.
16gig and 64gig Swissbit chips work fine, tested both in the car.

PS: now that the Tesla connection is back, the update nag came up again. Nope, will stay on good old 2018.50. No battery reduction

• Love
Reactions: alloverx
I will be replacing the eMMC on my S85 from 2013 this Monday (19th of August). Car still runs fine (wife uses it), but I don't want the MCU to die on me.

I started this thread a while ago, but with my busy schedule I never got to replace the eMMC before.

Together with @Lucky Luke I will try to document (photo + video) as much as we can on how to replace the eMMC and copy the data from the old eMMC to the new one.

I'm replacing it with a 64GB Swissbit chip, should be more then enough space and should make the car last another couple of years.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I'm gonna bite the bullet and get the whole unit changed out. Interestingly enough, the part they quoted me looks like it may be re-manufactured? I'll have to inquire about the warranty on this part. I've attached the quote that I was sent in cause it comes in handy for anyone else...

Not too long ago people had to pay $4K+ for MCU replacements so it's good to see Tesla has gotten the price down by half. $2K is not so bad. My car is 6 years old and on the original MCU. Curious how long it will last.

My MCU1, which was just replaced last year, is getting into reboot loops more and more frequently. Phil isn't responding any more. I'd really like to find someone who has done the replacement before and is well qualified.

So on my way to Arizona a few weeks ago, I turned off the null wifi hotspot and let the car connect while I was parked i.e. supercharging. I wanted to be able to monitor the car while it was supercharging. The next morning, v9 had downloaded and I now have the yellow clock again and I'm saying no to the update prompt every time I get in or out of the car.

On the plus side, since I stopped keeping the MCU in internet limbo, I haven't had anything odd happen. It's been rock solid stable for several weeks now.

I'm guessing keeping it off the internet makes it unhappy.

If anyone is in communication with Ingineer, Phil, please make him aware he has at least one open account. I paid, in June, and have gotten nothing but dial tone since July (no parts sent). Thanks, to other folks I've PM'd, for trying to help out.

Last edited:
Many S85 owners now complain about the battery loss due to the latest software.
What is needed for a downgrade (or how to fool the bootloader ?)

I have an old spare MCU board with a software from pre 2017. Can I put a new emmc with ie a 2018.50.6, /var from the car which needs the downgrade and an empty /home (will be recreated on boot) on it ?
Or whats needed that the bootloader will accept it ?
In this case the bootloader is older than the 2018.50.6. But it will boot with a newer system without the update process.

thx

Yes you can downgrade, if you don't have root you can only downgrade to a firmware with the same security version though:
up to 2018.50.6 is security version 1
starting from 2019.4 is v2
starting from 2019.20 is v4
With root it is a bit easier.

To answer your question: You should not put a other fw version on the emmc then what was on it before you took the chip off. This is because the matching kernel (you call it boot loader) resides in the nand memory and not in the emmc.
Also, if you want to put the spare mcu (or tegra board) in your car you will need to program the gateway with the proper config file for that car as well.

Last edited:
Well, crap. I can't read from my eMMC at all. The block device shows up, but I couldn't dd from it, and ddrescue has been chewing on it for 15 minutes, and midway through the second pass it's managed to recover 0.00%

Not what I had hoped for.

Today I attempted to replace the eMMC of my Model S from 2013. The date on the MCU said Augusts 16th 2013 and it has a Hynix H26M42001FMR chip and that has to be read with a different programmer than the AllSocket I have.

As soon as we (together with @Lucky Luke ) saw this we aborted the mission as we wouldn't be able to read the chip.

A different forum member also ran into this (Netherlands as well) and his chip is now on it's way to a company which claims to be able to read the data from the chip for EUR 50.

We put the MCU back in the car and are now waiting to see if it works for this eMMC which has been sent to that company.

If it works I'll send mine there as well. I can then write the dump to a new Swissbit eMMC which then can be soldered back onto the MCU.

To be continued!

Thanks @widodh … indeed that's the same chip I have as well. @Lucky Luke also advised me if the same issues you gents were having on your end.,

I've contacted the microsoldering shop that pulled my chip for me and seeing if we can give their reader a try (and/or see what model they have). Either way, I'll post the reader/programmer make/model info I get so we can build a list of what does/doesn't work.

If it doesn't work, I may go a similar route as you and send the chip off.

Also, I emailed All Socket to see what they say.

Appreciate the collaborative input...

Thanks @widodh … indeed that's the same chip I have as well. @Lucky Luke also advised me if the same issues you gents were having on your end.,

I've contacted the microsoldering shop that pulled my chip for me and seeing if we can give their reader a try (and/or see what model they have). Either way, I'll post the reader/programmer make/model info I get so we can build a list of what does/doesn't work.

If it doesn't work, I may go a similar route as you and send the chip off.

Also, I emailed All Socket to see what they say.

Appreciate the collaborative input...
We (me and @LuckyLuke ) will keep you posted.

We hope to have some (good) news next week. The eMMC of the other NL Tesla is on it's way to the company which can dump the eMMC and we should have an answer within a few days.

Let's keep sharing information in this topic so that we can help Tesla owners with the same problem around the world :)

My device programmer (Elnec Beeprog+) supports the Hynix H26M42001FMR, but the price for the adapters (you need two) is so high (total €680) that it is probably not worthwhile to invest in them.

The programmer software mentioned that it is possible to protect reading/writing to the eMMC, by setting a password, but then it would probably not show up as a block device under linux.

Btw i did manage to dump a eMMC once, by using a SD card adapter, and some patience..
SamsungBDJ7500_bga_read.jpg

If there are resistors on the datalines of the eMMC (on the PCB), it might be possible to tap into the eMMC bus without desoldering it from the board.

SamsungBDJ7500_firmware_read.jpg

If there is any way i can help, please let me know.

That is basically what the Allsocket programmer @scaesare has does, it is just a clamshell bga153 to sd adapter. The problem is not all emmc chips will work in this sd mode. Probably because of some timing or voltage issue.

We found that (expensive) Elnec programmer on the web as well, it should indeed be compatible with this model Hynix chip.

@Fuzzylogic I wonder if the bga153-dil adapter that came with my (much cheaper) RT809h programmer will work on your Elnec? This one:
RT-BGA169-01 EMMC seat EMCP153 EMCP169 Adapter + Limit frame For RT809H Programmer

@LuckyLuke No that will not work, Elnec has become very greedy on any device with more then 48 pins, even if only a handful of pins are used. The software requires a specialized adapter with identification chip.

According to the datasheet it supports 1, 4 and 8 bit mode. So reading it with a sd card adapter should work??
https://www.datasheets360.com/pdf/4486059854435324526

The datasheet also mentions that the VDDi line should be decoupled with a 1uf capacitor. Is this capacitor present on this Allsocket adapter?
I have ordered some H26M42001FMR chips and Allsocket adapter as well, i'll see if i can write to a new/empty chip.

Thanks @Fuzzylogic. I don't recall seeing any caps on the adapter, so I suspect this filter cap (which according to the datasheet pg. 18 connects Vddi to ground) doesn't exist. I'll look more closely when I get home.

I got a response back from the folks at All Socket, and they asked me if this chip was from a Tesla MCU... they said they've had other inquiries as well and they are forwarding it to their engineer to look at.

I asked specifically about the filtering capacitor mentioned in the datasheet.

Appreciate the input.