Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IIRC the Hynix part doesn't report enough info to make any sort of determination of its health. Not 100% sure though.
That's a good point, however, the MCU might be able to track that loosely. The Samsung SSD let's it's own hard drive controller report those SMART numbers. But again, Tesla should know the MTBF of the Hynix chips and, after 8 years of Model S, should have a pretty good idea what the real-world affect on writing those chips will yield.

How did you set the rate to every minute?

Just be aware that Tesla could consider doing that abuse and void the warranty on your MCU:

This New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any vehicle damage or malfunction directly or
indirectly caused by, due to or resulting from normal wear or deterioration, abuse, misuse,
negligence, accident, improper maintenance, operation, storage or transport, including, but not
limited to, any of the following:

Reactions: Akikiki
That's a good point, however, the MCU might be able to track that loosely. The Samsung SSD let's it's own hard drive controller report those SMART numbers. But again, Tesla should know the MTBF of the Hynix chips and, after 8 years of Model S, should have a pretty good idea what the real-world affect on writing those chips will yield.

No doubt. I don't understand Tesla's risk/reward trade here. Seems more risky to not push out a simple software configuration fix vs. customers getting very upset when Tesla tells them to pay $1000s to replace the entire MCU. Must not be too many affected customers that understand or care.

No doubt. I don't understand Tesla's risk/reward trade here. Seems more risky to not push out a simple software configuration fix vs. customers getting very upset when Tesla tells them to pay $1000s to replace the entire MCU. Must not be too many affected customers that understand or care.
Well, I mean, it will be every Tesla eventually, barring something removing the car from the fleet.

LOL seriously would love to see Tesla argue that especially in light of their Robotaxi service.
They'd also have to admit that their logging practices are abusive.

MCU2 won't wear out within warranty - they have more memory so they will keep wearing out sectors for years and not run out of good ones until after it's an OOW replacement expense, but the problem is still there.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
The new profile feature in V10 saves the profile even if you do not make any changes. If this is being saved in the EMMC each time, it is going to cause the EMMC to fail sooner.

I assume because I have easy entry configured and the seat is moving back and forth during entry and exit, this is why is is saving each time.

Hi all,

Why not "simply" desable the log function ?

Jason Hughes on Twitter

upload_2019-10-10_12-40-48.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-10_12-40-33.png
    upload_2019-10-10_12-40-33.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 138
Hello, our 2 Tesla's MCU1s give signs of advanced eMMC wear (reboot loop, black screen for long time, and so on), thus I want to save their content before they die.
I can desolder old eMMC and resolder new eMMC myself, that's not a problem. But before doing this, I want to be 100% ready to read them.
Thus I want to buy some blank eMMC to test before do anything.
I seen the MCU can use Hynix H26M42001FMR, but is there also other part used by Tesla ? Want to try all with all of them because I don't know which part our MCUs as using (and I want to open them only one time ^^).

Regards

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
Hello, our 2 Tesla's MCU1s give signs of advanced eMMC wear (reboot loop, black screen for long time, and so on), thus I want to save their content before they die.
I can desolder old eMMC and resolder new eMMC myself, that's not a problem. But before doing this, I want to be 100% ready to read them.
Thus I want to buy some blank eMMC to test before do anything.
I seen the MCU can use Hynix H26M42001FMR, but is there also other part used by Tesla ? Want to try all with all of them because I don't know which part our MCUs as using (and I want to open them only one time ^^).
Regards

From my observations I've seen the Hynix H26M42001FMR in 2012 and 2013 cars. The H26M42002GMR in ~ 2014 cars and the H26M42003GMR in 2015+ cars.
Please be very careful when desoldering the chip, especially the oldest chips (H26M42001FMR) seem to corrupt or even die completely from the heating.
There are ways to read the emmc chip before desoldering though. Especially when you have an old chip or if it is failing already I would recommend having this done to safeguard your unique certificate files. Without those unique files the car will not have app functionality, updates, spotify etc. (and Tesla will not give you these files, they will only be able to offer a +- €3000 replacement of the entire MCU)

This is the chip from my 2015 S (picture was taken before replacing it with a 16GB Swissbit):
IMG_8589.JPG