Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already did it with all the content.
first to save the old emmc data
sudo ddrescue / dev / sde backuptesla.img
So far without problems.
after to record the new emmc
sudo dd if = / media / sda2 / backuptesla.img of = dev / sde

sde is the emmc.
sda2 is the hard drive.

the new emmc is apparently recorded but it does not work in the car, I tried three emmc and always the same result

I already did it with all the content.
first to save the old emmc data
sudo ddrescue / dev / sde backuptesla.img
So far without problems.
after to record the new emmc
sudo dd if = / media / sda2 / backuptesla.img of = dev / sde

sde is the emmc.
sda2 is the hard drive.

the new emmc is apparently recorded but it does not work in the car, I tried three emmc and always the same result
Check with fdisk if the .img file has 4 partitions. p3 and 4 should be ext3 filesystems.

I had my December 2916 MCU2/AP2 car in for the annual maintenance. When I dropped it off, I asked about my eMMC and they said that it still looked healthy. When I picked it up a few hours ago I asked what percentage was left. I was told that I still had 81% left. I have 25,600 miles on the car so my guess is I should get at least another 75,000 miles if I am lucky.

I find it very hard to believe that the SC has the ability to tell how close to failure the eMMC is, I suspect they were either confused and telling you some other stat or they were outright making that up.

I find it very hard to believe that the SC has the ability to tell how close to failure the eMMC is, I suspect they were either confused and telling you some other stat or they were outright making that up.

They do have a wear indicator in their diagnostic screens, but I don't know how accurate to actual failure it is. (I think it is based on the rated write cycles.)

I had my December 2916 MCU2/AP2 car in for the annual maintenance. When I dropped it off, I asked about my eMMC and they said that it still looked healthy. When I picked it up a few hours ago I asked what percentage was left. I was told that I still had 81% left. I have 25,600 miles on the car so my guess is I should get at least another 75,000 miles if I am lucky.

Hmm.. so a service center can look at the eMMC in my car and tell me how much capacity is left in it? Good to know if true.

Thanks!
Oliver Barrett

Hmm.. so a service center can look at the eMMC in my car and tell me how much capacity is left in it? Good to know if true.

Thanks!
Oliver Barrett
When I took my car in for the annual maintenance, I asked and one of the SC people to check the eMMC and said that it still looked healthy. When I picked up my car, I asked again but this time I asked the percentage left and they said 81% so I got the information from 2 different Tesla people.

• Love
Reactions: Raechris
When I took my car in for the annual maintenance, I asked and one of the SC people to check the eMMC and said that it still looked healthy. When I picked up my car, I asked again but this time I asked the percentage left and they said 81% so I got the information from 2 different Tesla people.
Thanks!
Oliver

Hi
I think I know what happens to me
I think p1 p2 and p4 are not correct.
p3 I can mount the image without problems.
p1 p2 and p4 linux says error in file and p4 does not identify the ext.
Does anyone have these correct partitions?
can you send me by pm someone please?
It is a Tesla Model S 85.
European December 2013 (nl)

Just had my preventive eMMC replacement completed by TonyT this past week and want to give him a big thumbs up here. Turns out we live very close to each other so he did all the MCU removal and re-fitting work as well, making it a one stop shop for me. I was concerned about damage to the fragile metal interior trim and he made sure he took every precaution to prevent that from happening. Any time I texted him with concerns, he would respond promptly.

Anyway, just wanted to vouch for his top notch work publicly. He is a fellow Tesla owner and enthusiast who happens to be a whiz and nice guy to boot.

(pic of my sexy new module attached)

Attachments

• 599077668~2.jpg
    599077668~2.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 243
Just had my preventive eMMC replacement completed by TonyT this past week and want to give him a big thumbs up here. Turns out we live very close to each other so he did all the MCU removal and re-fitting work as well, making it a one stop shop for me. I was concerned about damage to the fragile metal interior trim and he made sure he took every precaution to prevent that from happening. Any time I texted him with concerns, he would respond promptly.

Anyway, just wanted to vouch for his top notch work publicly. He is a fellow Tesla owner and enthusiast who happens to be a whiz and nice guy to boot.

Nice. He’s working on mine now (at least he will be as soon as it arrives tomorrow). It’s good to hear you are happy with his work. I’ve had a lot of questions and he’s been really responsive.

My only issue is I live across the country and I have to get by with a crippled car. I can’t charge beyond 41 miles so it really limits my options this week. Fortunately I have a car to borrow as of Tuesday.

Disassembling the dash was straightforward but time consuming (for a first-timer). It should go back together pretty quickly; much easier to push clips in than take them out.

Why is the chip information hidden?

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I'm not a tech guy so I'm not sure if the chip info is important to keep private or not. So I hid it just in case, figured it was not relevant so why not.

FYI for those interested in doing this, turn off scheduled charging and set the charge limit to 100% beforehand. I had mine set at 95% and was able to supercharge to that number without any issues (but no further). You won't have AC and the car charging outlet won't work (cigarette adapter). I don't know if turning on the fog lights beforehand would have kept them in that setting but I wish I had since I had some bad weather days too.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
Hi
I think I know what happens to me
I think p1 p2 and p4 are not correct.
p3 I can mount the image without problems.
p1 p2 and p4 linux says error in file and p4 does not identify the ext.
Does anyone have these correct partitions?
can you send me by pm someone please?
It is a Tesla Model S 85.
European December 2013 (nl)
You mainly need p3. That has all the information. Make triple backups of that partition!

11:45 AM · Dec 30, 2019·Twitter Web App
Jason Hughes @wk057
Looks like @elonmusk followed through, and excess logging to the eMMC has been significantly curtailed in recent versions. Should extend life a bit on MCU1.
Bit (like, years) late for many vehicles, unfortunately. Many will still need repair eventually.
Quote Tweet
Elon Musk on Twitter
Elon Musk @elonmusk · Oct 12 Replying to @wk057 and @tesla
Should be much better at this point

iM2COc2.jpg