Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it can booted standalone: Lunars/tesla
$1200 is a bit overpriced if you ask me, you should be able to get one for half of that. Search ebay or contact salvage yards.

Thank you for clearing that up! I've visited that github page recently, but didn't see any clear answers to weather i could power up the MCU without the IC as i've heard there is a firmware compability check between them when it boots up.

The salvage yards here all charge $1500 for a MCU no matter its condition, so $1200 was at least a bit cheaper.
The cheapest one i could find on eBay was $799.99 + $67.65 shipping - add 25% import tax on that and we're up to $1085.
Not that big of a difference really.

Ive been offered a swapped out MCU from a friend that is close to emmc failure for 1200 bucks.

Im curious if its possible to boot the MCU on a Bech without a IC connected to it?

Has anyone tried supplying +12v to pin 7 and 8 on the Grey x426 connector and GNF to pin 9 and 10 on the x425 connector to boot it?

No point in buying it if it wont boot without IC, but if it Will it would be a nice test station to verify that datatransfer is succsessful.

Considering that Tesla is now supplying refurbished ones to the owner for $1300 it is too much.

There are a few on Ebay right now; some are 1100-1300 but the cheapest one is $850.

I am curious how some people are able to sell brand new touchscreens? Are they employees who are stealing them out the back door of the supplier?

Anyone wants to sell their Allsocket SD version reader? Once you did the job, your are not going to have to replace the chip anytime soon!

I need to rapidly make a backup of my MCU as I have signs that it is going bad. I tried soldering the wires and connecting to a regular cheap SD card reader but it did not work, I suspect that it is because of the emmc 1.8V I/O versus my reader being 3.3v, or it simply do not support an emmc

anyways, ordering a new allsocket reader would have to come from China and would take way too long, even with expedited shipping.

let me know if you have one.

Repaired one specific MCU1, this time for Tesla SeC Munich. Soon certified 3rd party emmc repair.

Demo Repair Price: FREE

Attachments

• 88174002_1456357221204154_6858670512348856320_o.jpg
    88174002_1456357221204154_6858670512348856320_o.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 186
Repaired one specific MCU1, this time for Tesla SeC Munich. Soon certified 3rd party emmc repair.

Demo Repair Price: FREE

Interesting, heard about this rumor also. We will be looking the certification process. BTW, for anyone looking at this photo I recommend detaching the small ribbon cable, it's the shortest of the 3 and easily damaged.

TOP ALERT.

After 3 days investigation, hardware debugging and tegra repair. I found out why some MCU1 have poor performance before and after emmc repair.

Slow response and slow under heavy load. No need to turn off logs or any other software tweaks. It is hardware failure.

From today all my customers for preventive repair and blackscreen repair, will receive free hardware performance repair.

Bugbounty sent to Tesla

Cheers

(if somone can translate to german and send to my inbox)

TOP ALERT.

After 3 days investigation, hardware debugging and tegra repair. I found out why some MCU1 have poor performance before and after emmc repair.

Slow response and slow under heavy load. No need to turn off logs or any other software tweaks. It is hardware failure.

From today all my customers for preventive repair and blackscreen repair, will receive free hardware performance repair.

Bugbounty sent to Tesla

Cheers

(if somone can translate to german and send to my inbox)

Wow, nice one!

Is that a problem with the Tegra board?
If someone sends you the Tegra board to put on a new emmc, will you be able to repair that hardware issue?
How do you know if an MCU1 (Tegra board) suffers from that hardware problem or not?

Wow, nice one!

Is that a problem with the Tegra board?
If someone sends you the Tegra board to put on a new emmc, will you be able to repair that hardware issue?
How do you know if an MCU1 (Tegra board) suffers from that hardware problem or not?

When i found issue on 1 tegra, i checked all of them which i got on stock and customers and all of them had sam performance hardware issue. It is not safety issue but it can affect tegra performance from 10-40%.

Yes from now, when i change emmc i will make hw tweak too. Will probably release the solution soon.

I don't think that there would come an official 3rd party fix for the emmc issue.
Why should Tesla offer this? There is definitely no reason for them and if the really want to offer cheaper solution they would sell you the whole tegra board.

If you're sure that's the version you need, it's easy. There's a complete library of firmware images (which I don't have access to anymore). Maybe someone will front you the image.

However do -not- try to write just any dd'ed image. They must be trimmed first using a hex editor. The images are only signed, and the signature is 64 bytes of non-zero data close to the end of the first or second partition. Cid-updater validates the signature after download. To be valid as an installed image, all you have to do is trim the file -AFTER- the signature. There is an area with 00 before the signature, and then after the 64 byte signature... cut this latter.

Also remember, on the new chip you can't just create partitions starting at block 0. There is null space before partition 1. wido has made a script to set up the parts, although there's a mystery block of gibberish within that null space. Best to restore a full image of the chip.

Can You please help me to find a library of firmware images?
My emmc is complitly dead. So now I need to rebuild everything on empty emmc.

It Lives!

View attachment 454412

Gotta give @LuckyLuke a big thank you for his help on this...

Hi,
I seem to have a similar problem: Got the old chip -de-soldered by a professional and we could read out the image using dd-rescue without any problems. We could mount the partitions and found all files were they should be. After that, we applied the image to a new Swissbit chip and soldered that chip onto the board again. The professional does this on mobile phones all the times and already did it some 20 times on the Tegra boards.

Unfortunately the MCU does not boot at all.

Can you share what finally made it to work (boot) in your case? I am aware, that your image copy process was quite more difficult than mine. But somehow you were able to make it bootable again.

Hi I did two last week and had the same problem. When I toke the whole image, it didn´t work. My solution was to take each partion and run fsck on partion 3 and 4 to remove any logical fault in the filesystem. Then it worked.
About soldering: do not use to much flus - it is a large chip