Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am happy(er) to say that the Tesla service center here in Rockville appears to be listening. After taking my car in for an MCU replacement they volunteered that they had the daughterboard and could fix just the daughterboard. It took a week but they got it done and gave me a Model X P90D loaner for a week. The total cost was $492 which I still hope they decide to refund at some point but this was significantly more reasonable than the previous approach of replacing the whole MCU.

Hey guys,

Those of you who went through this method of emmc replacement, has Tesla blocked you from OTA?

I haven't received an update since after May 2020. I replaced my emmc November 2019. I had 0 issues before.

I spoke with tesla briefly and they said comparability may be an issue... I can't see how since the car update fine for ~6months.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Edit: I have a 64bit Swissbit.
Edit2: 2015 Models S 90D, was out of warranty before replacement.

Hey guys,

Those of you who went through this method of emmc replacement, has Tesla blocked you from OTA?

I haven't received an update since after May 2020. I replaced my emmc November 2019. I had 0 issues before.

I spoke with tesla briefly and they said comparability may be an issue... I can't see how since the car update fine for ~6months.

No problems, have had several updates since replacement (with 16 GB Swissbit).

• Informative
Reactions: gmo43
Hey guys,

Yes, Tesla staff fabulate about the effects of third-party eMMC repairs. (My 2013 P85+ had the eMMC updated out of precaution in January)
upload_2020-9-16_9-39-34.jpeg

Service visit June 2020. The issue is was experiencing at the time was eventually resolved by closing an older service visit from March 2020 in the Tesla backoffice system. On August 5th, mind you. But resolved.

Mine MCU1 is still ok but I decided to ask if Tesla-Finland can replace the emmc and daughterboard anyway since the car is 8 years old. They quoted me in total 416€, it seems to be no problem for them replacing the just the Tegra board. Included in this price is 70€ diagnostics which might be excluded still so it seems like a pretty good deal!
You might want to consider getting the GSM modem updated to 4G (or even 5) as it is right next to the Tegra PCB and it's a relatively cheap job for a very significant performance boost.

You might want to consider getting the GSM modem updated to 4G (or even 5) as it is right next to the Tegra PCB and it's a relatively cheap job for a very significant performance boost.

Replacing the 3G Cell card might be a good idea - if they discounted it at the same time as you are having the Tegra daughter board replaced. However, Tesla has not been discounting the LTE part or labor for having it done at the same time. So why not anyway? My idea is a gamble, but if you don't want to spend equal to $500 US to replace 3G with its end of life coming, just wait. Tesla needs your car connected to the mothership just as much as you want it connected. I predict, (its just my two cents), but I believe Tesla will go through records and send an announcement to 3G car owners offering a special deal because 3G is ending. What's the worse if I am wrong? You still pay the same equal to $500 US to replace the 3G for LTE card later.

P.S. There is no 5 or 5G modem replacement. If its not being put in brand new cars, don't expect it to see it for used cars in the fleet.

Yeah I asked them to update to 4G at the same time, but Tesla said this update is a fixed cost package (500€+) even if the job cost would be lower as the MCU is opened anyway. So I skipped it for now.

The large touchscreen on my 2014 Model S went blank 5 days ago on a trip out of town. I was seeing increasing glitching over the last while, but did not know about the MCU failure, so had no idea what to do. I am now 325 miles from home, with no Tesla service center within a few hundred miles. The car can run after a boot up period of about 90 sec, but of course: no back up camera, no turn signal, no temperature control, no music, ... On top of that, I got a warning 2 days ago that there was a 12 V battery fault, and that it should be replaced soon. I am still on a road trip, and will be driving 320 miles from California to Nevada in a few days, going through a 100-mile stretch with no cell service. I am feeling anxious that my car may stall on a deserted road.

Does anyone know if the 12 V battery issue could be that it is not charging because of the MCU failure? I have an appointment at the service center at the earliest appointment they had, which is 10 days away (works with my current road trip). What are the odds that I can safely drive another 10 days with a failed MCU and a 12 V battery warning? All replies will be highly appreciated.

Would it be worth getting a new battery on your trip for some peace of mind?
-Can you buy one that you can return if not needed. e.g. Buy from Costco or someone like that?

I would have a plan B lined up. Rental car options, towing details.
Comfort level might depend if travelling alone or with family.

Does anyone know if the 12 V battery issue could be that it is not charging because of the MCU failure? I have an appointment at the service center at the earliest appointment they had, which is 10 days away (works with my current road trip). What are the odds that I can safely drive another 10 days with a failed MCU and a 12 V battery warning? All replies will be highly appreciated.

The 12V battery will still be charged from the HV pack, even with the whole tegra board removed (which contains the eMMC chip). If the MCU is removed then the 12V will not receive charge from the pack.

Your 12V issue is just a coincidental event, but at least sounds like you didn't have a pin to drive set up, otherwise your situation would be a whole lot worse.

I assume you can charge your car okay? When my car was without the eMMC/Tegra board I could not charge past (what I assume was) the 20% level, like many others. If so I recall there was one fellow who drove like that for several months....

The large touchscreen on my 2014 Model S went blank 5 days ago on a trip out of town. I was seeing increasing glitching over the last while, but did not know about the MCU failure, so had no idea what to do. I am now 325 miles from home, with no Tesla service center within a few hundred miles. The car can run after a boot up period of about 90 sec, but of course: no back up camera, no turn signal, no temperature control, no music, ... On top of that, I got a warning 2 days ago that there was a 12 V battery fault, and that it should be replaced soon. I am still on a road trip, and will be driving 320 miles from California to Nevada in a few days, going through a 100-mile stretch with no cell service. I am feeling anxious that my car may stall on a deserted road.

99:1

• Helpful
Reactions: PaulusdB