Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not what everyone will want to here, but just chipping in to say that 2 days ago I paid the money to upgrade my MCU1 to MCU2 (AP1 here), and OMG I am so glad I did this. Should tesla have made upgrading the emmc free and easy? yes, but TBH I really appreciate the way faster response on the screen, and the theater mode (netflix etc) and caraoke etc.
I know its expensive, but I'm glad I did it. The only inconvenice was it taking all day, (combined with service) and needing to re-enter the wifi password. REALLY glad I did it.
No issues with the dark backup camera that others have reported?

Not what everyone will want to here, but just chipping in to say that 2 days ago I paid the money to upgrade my MCU1 to MCU2 (AP1 here), and OMG I am so glad I did this. Should tesla have made upgrading the emmc free and easy? yes, but TBH I really appreciate the way faster response on the screen, and the theater mode (netflix etc) and caraoke etc.
I know its expensive, but I'm glad I did it. The only inconvenice was it taking all day, (combined with service) and needing to re-enter the wifi password. REALLY glad I did it.
How much was the upgrade? Was your MCU1 dead already?

I just upgraded to 20.40.9.2 yesterday, and today I got a message on the display "center display storage device degraded" with an advisement to schedule a service appointment. I hadn't had a blank screen yet.

I made an appointment with the service center to get the eMMC replaced. They delayed the appointment after I scheduled it due to not having the part in stock. The appointment was rescheduled for yesterday and the work was completed by the end of the day. My service invoice shows that they replaced the eMMC with part “MSX VCM TEGRA REV-B/C PROV (64 GB)-REMAN”. The firmware was downgraded to 20.36.11 as part of the process. The service center told me that reloading the firmware can take many hours, but it ended up being a short process on my car.

In my limited use since yesterday the system seems very responsive, especially on the nav screen. Unfortunately I had to reset all of my user settings, seat memory, homelink, etc., and I lost the lifetime energy use stats which I had running in the Trip-B odometer. The cost was zero other than my time.

@CalBlue 85D, The part where you mentioned "that reloading the firmware can take many hours", that's why it seems they rolled you back to an earlier version. The "PROV" on your part description means that daughterboard already had 20.36 on it, and saves you and them time in service because they can install the board and start the car. It then boots to the 20.36 version on the eMMC.

Losing the lifetime energy is likely some what of a blessing. That's useful data to you, but it also reduces the available space for operation and future firmware storage. Techs have told us for a while now, that we should be clearing our Odometer A & B settings as they are tied to the energy use stats too. Some people don't believe this, but we've heard it from more than one owner at different SCs.

The rumor is that the car stores every trip you made on the trip meters in order to compute the stats, rather than keeping running total. I’d sure like verification of this from someone with code access before deleting my life to date B. Which, by the way, was not reset during my emmc update.

the reason I’m not inclined to believe this is that it would be totally unnecessary to the computation. I know that the car does store every trip that is entered in nav, have cleared many times. This is the kind of stuff even Tesla employees often conflate. Like telling people that rated range reflects driving practices, which we all know is balderdash. What does is estimated range in the energy app. Conflation!

I made an appointment with the service center to get the eMMC replaced. They delayed the appointment after I scheduled it due to not having the part in stock. The appointment was rescheduled for yesterday and the work was completed by the end of the day. My service invoice shows that they replaced the eMMC with part “MSX VCM TEGRA REV-B/C PROV (64 GB)-REMAN”. The firmware was downgraded to 20.36.11 as part of the process. The service center told me that reloading the firmware can take many hours, but it ended up being a short process on my car.

In my limited use since yesterday the system seems very responsive, especially on the nav screen. Unfortunately I had to reset all of my user settings, seat memory, homelink, etc., and I lost the lifetime energy use stats which I had running in the Trip-B odometer. The cost was zero other than my time.

Good to know... how is the responsiveness of the browser when using TeslaWaze or another nav app?

@CalBlue 85D, The part where you mentioned "that reloading the firmware can take many hours", that's why it seems they rolled you back to an earlier version. The "PROV" on your part description means that daughterboard already had 20.36 on it, and saves you and them time in service because they can install the board and start the car. It then boots to the 20.36 version on the eMMC.
Interesting! We also went back to 20.36 & then Tesla installed a newer version for us at the SC. That was part of why our eMMC a repair took so long, they had issues getting new firmware to install. They had to contact Tesla Engineering in California for help & it took them 2 days to install firmware after installing a new eMMC.

Interesting! We also went back to 20.36 & then Tesla installed a newer version for us at the SC. That was part of why our eMMC a repair took so long, they had issues getting new firmware to install. They had to contact Tesla Engineering in California for help & it took them 2 days to install firmware after installing a new eMMC.

Yes, that’s what they told me to prepare for when they started the work but it ended up being done by the end of the day. They didn’t upgrade the firmware to the current version when they finished but that was easy to do at home. It seems like the firmware part of the eMMC replacement process is unstable at this point.

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall Model S and Model X over MCU fiasco - Electrek

"NHTSA has now officially asked Tesla to recall 158,000 Model S and Model X vehicles over the issue – a rare move as automakers will often opted to issue voluntary recalls. Now, Tesla has two weeks to issue a response or accept the recall.

The agency confirmed that it met with Tesla over the issue and evaluated all the information, but it determined that losing capacity of the MCU is a safety issue since a lot of important functions go through the system like windshield defogging, audible chimes, and even turn signals can be impacted.

NHTSA notes that other automakers have issued recalls for similar loss of functions.The agency noted that the updates that Tesla released to mitigate the issue are “procedurally and substantively insufficient” and that the automaker even confirmed that all the MCUs will eventually fail."

Interesting, yet not surprising that NHTSA is pushing for a recall, at least from my own experience.

I'm on MCU1 + HW3 on my Model X, and the touchscreen is unbelievably sluggish. I'd say it's about 50% as responsive as the MCU1 units I tried on several Model S loaners (never had the chance to try another Model X). Worse, the freezes and random reboots have grown more frequent, and rebooting now takes several minutes. When the warranty extension was announced, I made a service appointment and provided date/timestamps of all known incidents, hoping that my unit would qualify. Alas, it passed Tesla's diagnostics and my car was denied the fix.

The tech advised as others have mentioned: reset both trip computers, remove all entries from the NAV history, and turn off real-time traffic. After doing all those things, I still have a sluggish touchscreen and frequent freezing/rebooting. I'll give it another month or two to see how this recall pans out, but at this point, I may just bite the bullet and upgrade to MCU2.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Interesting, yet not surprising that NHTSA is pushing for a recall, at least from my own experience.

I'm on MCU1 + HW3 on my Model X, and the touchscreen is unbelievably sluggish. I'd say it's about 50% as responsive as the MCU1 units I tried on several Model S loaners (never had the chance to try another Model X). Worse, the freezes and random reboots have grown more frequent, and rebooting now takes several minutes. When the warranty extension was announced, I made a service appointment and provided date/timestamps of all known incidents, hoping that my unit would qualify. Alas, it passed Tesla's diagnostics and my car was denied the fix.

The tech advised as others have mentioned: reset both trip computers, remove all entries from the NAV history, and turn off real-time traffic. After doing all those things, I still have a sluggish touchscreen and frequent freezing/rebooting. I'll give it another month or two to see how this recall pans out, but at this point, I may just bite the bullet and upgrade to MCU2.
same thing, they supposedly didn't find any hardware errors, but they updated SW, and recommended that i turn off energy saving (even though I did not complain about long startup times). Also note that a few days before that I had upgraded the SW, so not sure if they loaded the same or something else.
But now, i see less issues. Don't know if it's b/c of energy savings turned off, or b/c they loaded some special ver of SW. They said they also cleared internal cache, which they confirmed is not accessible to a user - what cache it is, in what form, and what exactly it's for, i don't know.
SC manager told me to send them timestamps through texts and they would debug. However, the SC adviser found all sorts of excuses to not do it. Last one was "I couldn't find anyone to do it" and repeated that or did not reply at all until two weeks past by, and then I got hey we cant see logs more than 2 weeks old.

Last edited:

This is where Tesla shot themselves in the foot. I too know S/X owners having terrible problems but their MCUs ‘passed’ the diagnostics.

Here’s an interesting subjective data point: had daughterboard EMMC fix by Tesla in November to my 2012 P85. I was having some symptoms such as occasional black screen and Bluetooth issues. With “repaired” MCU, I’ve actually had MORE frequent reboots with longer reboot times. No disruption to driving, just annoyance factor. I suspect (completely my guess) problems are not entirely EMMC, but possibly also code that is designed on MCU2 and insufficiently regression tested on MCU 1, made more complex by Tesla’s continuous improvement approach (vs annual updates) creating an impossible testing situation. The price of innovation. I bought into innovation expecting worse, so pleasantly surprised with the minor disruptions. You can’t have monthly software and hardware improvements without paying a price. The alternative is to freeze software at some point for old configurations, which would create a whole slew of other issues...

• Informative
This is where Tesla shot themselves in the foot. I too know S/X owners having terrible problems but their MCUs ‘passed’ the diagnostics.
That was my experience, too, several weeks ago.

Not sure why folks are settling for a bad repair. Sounds like it's as bad as before the fix. No recourse? I've got an appt next week for the daughter board replacement. No liking the probable result. I've always bought Honda's, Acura's, and Toys and never had something like this that they couldn't or wouldn't fix.

Wow I just got a message from SC that they can fix my car (occasional black center screen, no blinkers) remotely! We're not having daily or even weekly issues but have had it act up a few times. Directed to contact SC by roadside assistance during the last episode about three weeks ago. Have not had an issue since.

Has anyone else had this addressed remotely?

Wow I just got a message from SC that they can fix my car (occasional black center screen, no blinkers) remotely! We're not having daily or even weekly issues but have had it act up a few times. Directed to contact SC by roadside assistance during the last episode about three weeks ago. Have not had an issue since.

Has anyone else had this addressed remotely?
Probably clearing the cache. They tried that a few times with our car, it didn't fix things since they say now the issue is in the kernel code.