Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had the MCU2 upgrade done to 2014 Dec issue S85 as after may visits and calls regarding MCU1 failing issues I just thought that I would like my heating to work, internet connection to come back on and the car to stop rebooting if I looked at it the wrong way.

Very happy with the screen replacement and speed of interface, went to reverse into my drive at night and could not see a thing. I was literally reversing blind as the reverse camera view was so dim compared to before, sent text to Tesla services and they put out a software update but initially asked if the brand new screen interface they had put in that afternoon was really dirty and that's why I couldn't see behind me????

But where as I had not had connectivity for over 4 months I now do, it is still 3G? Pretty sure an LTE/4G upgrade was included, wondering if they just put my old 'Spanish local' sim card back in.

Can't log in to youtube as it says this web browser doesn't support it?

Can't get Netflix to show properly on screen so can not log in and 3Gtoo slow for it anyhow.

Hoping they will sort out the LTE/4G upgrade and it was just an error on their part. The 6hr wait on a stool in the waiting room and being told that it now might take a couple of days to fix and a blank stare without so much of a 'sorry we said it was an afternoon job' and now you might have to walk 70 miles to get home... I can deal with that, but Netflix and LTE/4G was a big part of the upgrade that I would like sorted.... Feeling like you have to hassle them at Bristol service centre to get any updates and that you are a pain in the butt for having this upgrade done because their MCU1 was at fault constantly.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Just had the MCU2 upgrade done to 2014 Dec issue S85 as after may visits and calls regarding MCU1 failing issues I just thought that I would like my heating to work, internet connection to come back on and the car to stop rebooting if I looked at it the wrong way.

Very happy with the screen replacement and speed of interface, went to reverse into my drive at night and could not see a thing. I was literally reversing blind as the reverse camera view was so dim compared to before, sent text to Tesla services and they put out a software update but initially asked if the brand new screen interface they had put in that afternoon was really dirty and that's why I couldn't see behind me????

But where as I had not had connectivity for over 4 months I now do, it is still 3G? Pretty sure an LTE/4G upgrade was included, wondering if they just put my old 'Spanish local' sim card back in.

Can't log in to youtube as it says this web browser doesn't support it?

Can't get Netflix to show properly on screen so can not log in and 3Gtoo slow for it anyhow.

Hoping they will sort out the LTE/4G upgrade and it was just an error on their part. The 6hr wait on a stool in the waiting room and being told that it now might take a couple of days to fix and a blank stare without so much of a 'sorry we said it was an afternoon job' and now you might have to walk 70 miles to get home... I can deal with that, but Netflix and LTE/4G was a big part of the upgrade that I would like sorted.... Feeling like you have to hassle them at Bristol service centre to get any updates and that you are a pain in the butt for having this upgrade done because their MCU1 was at fault constantly.
Sorry to hear that now you're having this issue... Have you been able to ask them about LTE? What do they say? I also thought LTE was included for the older cars.

That's exactly what I've said in this thread. We have had screen issues for over a year, finally in October they replaced our eMMC when our screen went completely dead after for months telling us it was a software issue. Replacing the eMMC did not solve the issues we have been having for more than a year of random reboots & pixelated images on the screen. Tesla says that these issues are from problems with the kernel code & that there is no fix. The only option to fix it is to pay for MCU2.
This exact thing is happening to me. Curious what your situation is like now?

Ok so I go to Bristol Service centre for them to fit the correct sim in my car after the MCU2 upgrade (yet another work day lost to Bristol Service Centre UK ). Whilst I was there I ask for the rear wheels to be exchanged with the front ones due to tyre wear (paid job).... just got back ....and they only did one.

Every damn time I go there something gets really messed up, so far 3 lost work days due to stuff not being done or being fobbed off with no real solutions put in place.

Still on hold on the phone 24mins to them.

OK... my anger rant has subsided. Got a call from them and they have refunded the cost of the tyre rotation so that I can go to the local garage to get it done. Looks like human error and the wheels got mixed up when they put them back on. No stress.....

Love the MCU2 upgrade and LTE makes a huge difference to 3G now I finally have the right SIM installed. on 3G I was getting 3Mps now I get 29 Mps

This exact thing is happening to me. Curious what your situation is like now?
When the MCU2 price dropped to $1500 we decided to upgrade. We had our hiccups with that too as the first MCU2 screen we received was defective so we had to go back to the SC for a new screen. And then we replacing the screen they damaged the clips for the cubby under the screen so it wouldn't stay in place so a 3rd visit was required to fix that. But now everything seems to be working...

Hi guys
i 'm newbie in this
i read all the articles and still don't understand how recovery my mcu1

my mcu was in black screen
i was desolder emmc , make connection via z3x easy-jtag 1bit mode (use d0 only)
and successfully read phisical partitions
rom1 7.28gb
rom2/rom3 4mb

also backuped soft partition
mmcblk0p0 -1gb
mmcblk0p1 -1gb
mmcblk0p2 -128mb
mmcblk0p3 -1.15gb

i was successfully extracted all imortant data from mmcblk0p2 (like certificate and etc)

as i understand it i have corrupted boot sectors
i was build conection emmc to card reader in 4bit mode (d0,d1.d2.d3)
in ubuntu i was try repair with fsck commands , but it didn't work
i try with ddrescue , it was successfully scan , but no error found

i have new samsung klmag2 16gb emmc chip
i found info , which i must have some version of firmware was installed (it wroten in spansion chip) , when tegra want to boot, it check version from it
i don't know which version was installed
how to check it in mmcblk0p2/mmcblk0p3 ?
so my problem is how recovery firmware ? for writing on new chip
i need dump from some version ? or i can use other dumps ?

please help
thanks in advance

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Hi guys
i 'm newbie in this
i read all the articles and still don't understand how recovery my mcu1

my mcu was in black screen
i was desolder emmc , make connection via z3x easy-jtag 1bit mode (use d0 only)
and successfully read phisical partitions
rom1 7.28gb
rom2/rom3 4mb

also backuped soft partition
mmcblk0p0 -1gb
mmcblk0p1 -1gb
mmcblk0p2 -128mb
mmcblk0p3 -1.15gb

i was successfully extracted all imortant data from mmcblk0p2 (like certificate and etc)

as i understand it i have corrupted boot sectors
i was build conection emmc to card reader in 4bit mode (d0,d1.d2.d3)
in ubuntu i was try repair with fsck commands , but it didn't work
i try with ddrescue , it was successfully scan , but no error found

i have new samsung klmag2 16gb emmc chip
i found info , which i must have some version of firmware was installed (it wroten in spansion chip) , when tegra want to boot, it check version from it
i don't know which version was installed
how to check it in mmcblk0p2/mmcblk0p3 ?
so my problem is how recovery firmware ? for writing on new chip
i need dump from some version ? or i can use other dumps ?

please help
thanks in advance

Hi!

You can try to mount squashfs images from p1/p2 (they are likely corrupted because of the squashfs errors, the black screen) but if you are able, look for version in:

Code:
# cat /usr/tesla/UI/bin/customerVersion.txt
2020.48.37.2 38a2f53d8037

Then you can connect to your Instrument Cluster and get the image there, they are identical (p1/p2).

Hi!

You can try to mount squashfs images from p1/p2 (they are likely corrupted because of the squashfs errors, the black screen) but if you are able, look for version in:

Code:
# cat /usr/tesla/UI/bin/customerVersion.txt
2020.48.37.2 38a2f53d8037

Then you can connect to your Instrument Cluster and get the image there, they are identical (p1/p2).
big thanks for information
i looked version via 7zip
Code:
develop/2020.36.3.1 #78963 (58d6902aeb93 on 2020-09-04) Built: 2020-09-04
i never had deel with tesla, these are my first step in this direction

how to get images p1/p2 from instrument cluster ?
via ethernet connection (instruction) ? must have root privileges or not ?
direct via isp ? i haven't pinout

Hi everyone,

Working on my car's dead MCU. The flash is completely shot except the boot partitions. I have a swissbit soldered on the board already. I know it was running 2020.24.6.11, but I can't find this firmware anywhere.

Can someone reach out via PM and share 2020.24.6.11 (Model S) with me? Thanks!

Hello, I am trying to replace the eMMC chip and i am confident I can do it, but I am still trying to find all he correct steps and in doing so I came across a few questions. Firstly I am using the easyJtag to read directly from the board to save the partitions and I am going to write to the new board when its on. Man in this link:
Used same method as me he has D0 CMD CLK power and ground connections and I have had the same but the usual CMD timeout message appeared, so the question is do I need the D3 (CS) line if I am using jtag? I would think not. Also I have windows 10. Do I need to get a Linux machine?

PS. sorry for repeat questions but I have spent many hours looking through the internet and forums and some specifics havent been cleared from my head.

Cheers!

Hello, a question between life and life: there was one Tesla, and now there are two Teslas. the problem is in the black screen, the dump with emms considered how much they are working, I don’t know, but they are mounted and you can see, there is a problem in the fourth section which is 5Gig it is not mounted and writes an error. is this section needed to start the display? I write through a translator, English is not native

Hello, a question between life and life: there was one Tesla, and now there are two Teslas. the problem is in the black screen, the dump with emms considered how much they are working, I don’t know, but they are mounted and you can see, there is a problem in the fourth section which is 5Gig it is not mounted and writes an error. is this section needed to start the display? I write through a translator, English is not native
translate each sentence then copy and paste here. or write in Russian and put translation here.
You can also use microsoft word translation feature, which works better

I am not able to mount partition 3 or 4. Even if I take an image and mount it, then it comes out with the same message
1653988931347.png

Can anyone clue me on this? Code would be a blessing in the sky. Thanks

I am not able to mount partition 3 or 4. Even if I take an image and mount it, then it comes out with the same message
Is the tegra alive and running when you take the image? if so, p3 and p4 will be mounted by the tegra and actively reading/writing/changing while the image is being created. It would be normal for these errors to occur if the images are being created while the partitions are in active use. P1 and P2 are read-only so it wouldn't matter if the tegra is active, the bits on P1,P2 never change even when the tegra is active.

That being said, run...
fsck -y /dev/loop14p3 # if loop14 is the entire disk
fsck -y /dev/loop14 # if loop14 is just P3

then it should mount. Same for P4

Is the tegra alive and running when you take the image? if so, p3 and p4 will be mounted by the tegra and actively reading/writing/changing while the image is being created. It would be normal for these errors to occur if the images are being created while the partitions are in active use. P1 and P2 are read-only so it wouldn't matter if the tegra is active, the bits on P1,P2 never change even when the tegra is active.

That being said, run...
fsck -y /dev/loop14p3 # if loop14 is the entire disk
fsck -y /dev/loop14 # if loop14 is just P3

then it should mount. Same for P4
No, the tegra is off. I only power up from power supply.
I have found another way to force mount the images, but I have to be in root. It works just as I wanted it to which is great. However I heard about the fsck and would like to try that too so thank you for this input.

Reactions: cloneguru
My MCU1 still works fine, car is 2017 year, but I want to back it up just in case. Can anyone direct me to the proper and tested tool/equipment to read the eMMC while still soldered on. This can be done, right? Don't want to risk desoldering it before backing up even tho I have a reflow station!
I will appreciate a pinout pic/schematic on the tegra board to read the eMMC.

My MCU1 still works fine, car is 2017 year, but I want to back it up just in case. Can anyone direct me to the proper and tested tool/equipment to read the eMMC while still soldered on. This can be done, right? Don't want to risk desoldering it before backing up even tho I have a reflow station!
I will appreciate a pinout pic/schematic on the tegra board to read the eMMC.
Attached
Yellow is D0
Red is CMD
Blue is CLK
Board is Ground

Make sure to fsck partition 3 and 4, delete logs , sync, power off, disconnect, and power back up after modifications

Attachments

• C756D6D8-BF50-4919-949D-9BBBF7646B01.jpeg
    C756D6D8-BF50-4919-949D-9BBBF7646B01.jpeg
    461.2 KB · Views: 124