Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Previous Owner/Buying Used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has split original owner, from 3rd party owners at least as far as Ludicrous eligibility goes. I don't know about your question, but am suggesting it is possible you wouldn't get priority. It could also come down to those with a Tesla account, which would be anyone with a VIN, remote access, etc.

Pretty sure that it does not matter who you get the Tesla (Roadster, MS, MX) from. Just make sure that Tesla knows you're the owner (you may need to do this at one of the store/service centers, with some documentation), then sign up for the M3.

Elon's statement about this was that Roadster, Model s and Model X buyers profited Tesla and enabled them with the profits to develop the Model 3, that they should be put to the front of the line in buying a Model 3.

Since buying a used car does not fulfill this goal, maybe you will not be sent to the front of the line.

It is not the ownership, but the buying of the car from Tesla that triggers the golden ticket.

Maybe buying a CPO from Tesla will give you the results you want, but perhaps buying from a 3rd party...not so much.

Elon's statement about this was that Roadster, Model s and Model X buyers profited Tesla and enabled them with the profits to develop the Model 3, that they should be put to the front of the line in buying a Model 3.

Since buying a used car does not fulfill this goal, maybe you will not be sent to the front of the line.

It is not the ownership, but the buying of the car from Tesla that triggers the golden ticket.

Maybe buying a CPO from Tesla will give you the results you want, but perhaps buying from a 3rd party...not so much.

I understand the logic, but I don't recall any data being collected on where or when I bought the car. If they don't know the pedigree of the car, how are they going to apply the restriction? I've also read statements made that "Tesla owners" were included in the priority group, not "original owners". I really think it's any Tesla owner that gets the priority... I am guessing the objective here is not so much directly financial, as the building of the Tesla community. A vibrant community (er, that would be us!) should have a much larger long term benefit to Tesla's objectives than the incremental sale of any particular car.

...any data being collected on where or when I bought the car...

I agree with you on the interpretation of generic owners not "original" owners.

You are right that Tesla may not know the current pedigree but your car constantly communicates with the mother ship so Tesla has that car's data at all time regardless of ownership.

So, if you don't register with tesla.com as a current owner, then all Tesla info will bypass you (such as invitation to Model ≡ Unveiling #2) and go to the original owner instead.

That also means that if you don't update that you are a current owner, then you don't have a password for your phone app to monitor your car as well as basic functions such as locking/unlocking, "starting" your car without a fob...

And so on...

It's an individual decision. Some would prefer to pay more now rather than wait and pay cheaper later.

If you really want cheaper than Model ≡ price, you can wait for a more affordable Gen 4 as announced by Elon Musk.
I never said anything about not being able to afford the model 3. In fact I'm looking to be able to save a ton of $ between now and then and get a pretty loaded model 3. The thread is about whether someone buying a pre-owned tesla off a used car lot or private owner gets model 3 priority.