Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Previous X owners who upgraded to Raven Model X, are you still getting acceleration shudder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Performance 2019 Raven with 1500 miles in no shutter so far. Just to add to the pile, not enough people are talking about sound deadening and suspension on raven. Sound is more in line with expected luxury class but the suspension is borderline revolutionary good. You’d be forgiven for upgrading for no other reason than that.
I've been thinking about changing from my 3 to s or x just for suspension to be honest, I was hoping one small thing would push me over, but still have to decide which.

Yes, however when I've checked it several times it doesn't seem to lower at 45mph anymore. Not sure when it decides, but even at 65 I've found it to still be at standard, so I don't think that's it, but it's possible.

1. The hood is stiffer and feels much more solid and easy to close.
  2. The shiny seat backs are replaced with a much better material that doesn’t look bad after two days.
  3. The falcon door interior open close button has been replaced, the previous one confused every passenger.
  4. The interior metal trim around the screen and other areas is now dark grey instead of chrome, so much better
The more obvious major changes from 2016:

1. Much more range with new more efficient drive train and larger battery
  2. All the new cameras
  3. Faster MCU computer
  4. New HW3 Tesla video processing AI for "Full Self Driving"
  5. New software updatable adaptive suspension

Still annoying:
  • Head rests don't go high enough and stick out and can dig into your neck in some cases.
  • Falcon doors are undeniable attention getting, and were a great marketing decision for Tesla, and they're certainly sexy, however there's only a handful of relatively rare cases where they're actually more useful than a "regular" door, and quite a few cases where they're slow or problematic. Not bad, but if I had the choice, I'd probably opt not to have them.

Worse:
  • Whoever thought getting rid of the rain sensor and just using the camera... I'm not going to say they should be fired, that's too much, but they should be personally overseeing the struggle to get this to work halfway decently. The auto wipers and high beams are definitely still inferior to 2016.

My X has been grounded for the last month and I am getting very familiar with my Tundra again. I'm definitely not missing all the quirks in the X. It can really be a PITA.

What is nice is not so much that the rear doors open like wings, but that all four doors, make that five, open from the key fob. I wish it was easier to do without accidentally closing all doors. lol

It's been discussed in the post "
Raven 2019.40.50.1 Adaptive Suspension update".

I agree that the results should be more widely known, for example: In it's review of the Audi E-Tron, Consumer Reports stated the e-tron has the best ride in its class, I didn't agree with this after my initial test drive of the E-Tron before getting the X and certainly don't agree now after this new update. The media loves to show videos of how Tesla's change from a software update, this would be a prime candidate for a video.

The media narrative has been that Tesla would suffer once the establishment introduces their competitors, this newest update proves that's false, Tesla continues to leapfrog the competition. As Elon said, Pace of Innovation is all that matters in the long run.

Performance 2019 Raven with 1500 miles in no shutter so far. Just to add to the pile, not enough people are talking about sound deadening and suspension on raven. Sound is more in line with expected luxury class but the suspension is borderline revolutionary good. You’d be forgiven for upgrading for no other reason than that.

They made it possible a while back. First double click on the top of the fob opens the driver’s door, second double click on the top opens the front passenger door.
Thanks! I went out and tested it - it didn't work - when I went digging through the menus, I found that it's an option associated with the automatic driver's door. That's too bad, I wish they were separate options. Thanks for the info anyway though!

Reactions: Saghost
It's been discussed in the post "
Raven 2019.40.50.1 Adaptive Suspension update".

I agree that the results should be more widely known, for example: In it's review of the Audi E-Tron, Consumer Reports stated the e-tron has the best ride in its class, I didn't agree with this after my initial test drive of the E-Tron before getting the X and certainly don't agree now after this new update. The media loves to show videos of how Tesla's change from a software update, this would be a prime candidate for a video.

The media narrative has been that Tesla would suffer once the establishment introduces their competitors, this newest update proves that's false, Tesla continues to leapfrog the competition. As Elon said, Pace of Innovation is all that matters in the long run.

You seem to be arguing that the war is all about the S/X vs. E-Tron type cars. That was the early part of the war and the battle ground now is the Model 3 vs... well, not sure what exactly. I guess that's why Tesla is selling so many 3s.

But the war over the next half a decade will be about newer, lower priced cars. Everyone else knows the target they have to meet or beat and they aren't sitting on their hands. They've been slow out of the gates, but Tesla will be seeing plenty of competition in two or three years. I guess Honda won't be such a big part of it though. lol

My raven shudders at about 35-45 any height any acceleration strength ... height only lessens the effect. on high and lightest acceleration the car feels like its going to tear it self apart at about 35-45mph ... at 45+ mph the car auto lowers to standard and the extremely harsh shuddering drowns out into an overall coming and going vibration in the wheel and cabin... overall once I get up to 35-45+ the car has very excessive random vibrations (compared to a Model 3, Kia Soul EV, hell any car) in the wheel and at the vibrations peek it can be felt in the seat. If your paying attention enough you can detect it in the seat ever so slightly always there. but at time random vibrations can be felt and seen all throughout the cabin... even more so on fresh smooth road.. My Kia Soul EV has a smoother ride. bottles and plastic things in cup holders or in my kid's car seat cupholders throughout the vehicle rattle and tick constantly from the high frequency vibration. I look back and see the empty middle row have a slight but visible shake/vibration. After 5 visits to the SC 5 hours round trip away Telsa service says its normal... ..... 100% regret my purchase and truly believe I could trade this X for any SUV/CUV worth half this amount (which really is my only option left) and wouldn't even be talking about this or any of the other 10 issues I've had at this point. This car combined with Tesla service has utterly defeated me and my enthusiasm for Tesla and recommending them.

Took delivery of my Raven X LR in October. Just noticed shudder today, only during full pedal acceleration at around 40 mph, tried this repeatedly and the shudder happened everytime. Have booked a service appointment, hopefully we can get this resolved. This wasn't happening before. Car has about 8k km (5k miles).
Mine started at exactly same mileage MX P Raven July build, August delivery.

Updating now as I confirmed this at a service visit in Latham NY 2 weeks ago:

Tesla acknowledges that recent Raven Model X’s may develop a shudder on acceleration. They are trying to figure out why it’s happening and develop a permanent fix. They are unwilling to replace axels and bushings (the fix for this issue in earlier years) because they do not believe that is a permanent fix. They have determined the shudder poses no risk to drivers or passengers. They acknowledge it is irritating. And are sorry.

So - stay tuned is the instruction.

If anyone hears different , PLEASE post. On my X (‘20, LR) it is very irritating. As others have noted, less on Low suspension height.

Tesla acknowledges that recent Raven Model X’s may develop a shudder on acceleration. They are trying to figure out why it’s happening and develop a permanent fix. They are unwilling to replace axels and bushings (the fix for this issue in earlier years) because they do not believe that is a permanent fix. They have determined the shudder poses no risk to drivers or passengers. They acknowledge it is irritating. And are sorry.

If anyone hears different , PLEASE post. On my X (‘20, LR) it is very irritating. As others have noted, less on Low suspension height.
Yeah, we have heard this since the first 2016 Model X, that they are working on a permanent fix – it hasn't happened yet. I had this problem with my 2016 Model X and now with my 2019 Raven Model X. Low suspension reduces the problem considerably as others have observed. I think all the software suspension updates they have made recently are trying to mask the problem, by favoring low suspension hight.

• Informative
Reactions: 5JMJ

Tesla replaced my half shafts with no questions asked mid July, took less than 3hrs and loaner was provided. Had this done at 12k mi at the Toronto service centre.