Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Previous X owners who upgraded to Raven Model X, are you still getting acceleration shudder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if the Raven redesign has gotten rid of the problematic "shudder" which plagues the Model X. The hypothesis is that there's a new suspension geometry in the Raven Model X which addressed the bad design contributing to shudder in the pre-Raven Model X. The Raven upgrades have a new front motor, new dampers, new clevis mount, new half-shafts, etc.

Do we have any anecdotes from Raven X owners to support yay or nay on this issue?

Shudder history:
Service Bulletin out on Hard Acceleration "Shudder"

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/service-bulletin-out-on-hard-acceleration-shudder.159838

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/news-for-model-x-owners-with-the-dreaded-shudder.121887

Acceleration Shudder

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/acceleration-shudder.74184

Service Bulletin - Replace LH Front Drive Unit Clevis Mount and Both Front Halfshafts

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162295-9999.pdf

Sadly, I am still getting a bit of shudder in my new X. I haven't done a lot of testing, and I did opt for the long range, vs. the Performance that I had with my 2016 Model X. But I have noticed that under acceleration both from a stop, and at speed and stepping on it to pass, there is some vibration. Be curious to hear what others are seeing, and I will try to do more precise testing.

I did some more testing, and at least with my long range model X, there's no shudder when using max acceleration from a stop. However when already going 45mph + I notice a little shudder when flooring it. So it's definitely not the same as what I experienced with my 2016 P90DL Model X. Lots of small improvements in the "Raven" X vs. the 2016 models.

Sadly, I am still getting a bit of shudder in my new X. I haven't done a lot of testing, and I did opt for the long range, vs. the Performance that I had with my 2016 Model X. But I have noticed that under acceleration both from a stop, and at speed and stepping on it to pass, there is some vibration. Be curious to hear what others are seeing, and I will try to do more precise testing.

I tried out a LR 2019 at the dealer and it still had the shudder. Sales person had never felt it before and it was obvious. No shudder on my 2019 LR Raven Performance Model.

I did some more testing, and at least with my long range model X, there's no shudder when using max acceleration from a stop. However when already going 45mph + I notice a little shudder when flooring it. So it's definitely not the same as what I experienced with my 2016 P90DL Model X. Lots of small improvements in the "Raven" X vs. the 2016 models.
Is your suspension set to lower at highway speeds? If so, can that be affecting the "stop vs 45MPH" results as one might have a transition and the other doesn't?

Is your suspension set to lower at highway speeds? If so, can that be affecting the "stop vs 45MPH" results as one might have a transition and the other doesn't?
Yes, however when I've checked it several times it doesn't seem to lower at 45mph anymore. Not sure when it decides, but even at 65 I've found it to still be at standard, so I don't think that's it, but it's possible.

What other improvements? :)

1. The hood is stiffer and feels much more solid and easy to close.
  2. The shiny seat backs are replaced with a much better material that doesn’t look bad after two days.
  3. The falcon door interior open close button has been replaced, the previous one confused every passenger.
  4. The interior metal trim around the screen and other areas is now dark grey instead of chrome, so much better
The more obvious major changes from 2016:

1. Much more range with new more efficient drive train and larger battery
  2. All the new cameras
  3. Faster MCU computer
  4. New HW3 Tesla video processing AI for "Full Self Driving"
  5. New software updatable adaptive suspension

Still annoying:
  • Head rests don't go high enough and stick out and can dig into your neck in some cases.
  • Falcon doors are undeniable attention getting, and were a great marketing decision for Tesla, and they're certainly sexy, however there's only a handful of relatively rare cases where they're actually more useful than a "regular" door, and quite a few cases where they're slow or problematic. Not bad, but if I had the choice, I'd probably opt not to have them.

Worse:
  • Whoever thought getting rid of the rain sensor and just using the camera... I'm not going to say they should be fired, that's too much, but they should be personally overseeing the struggle to get this to work halfway decently. The auto wipers and high beams are definitely still inferior to 2016.

I've read that the new 2019.32 update that's rolling out has some bigger updates specifically for the Raven X (and S) that provide improvements to suspension during hard acceleration, so this may improve things and eliminate even the small vibration I noticed; one of the great things about the new software updatable adaptive suspension!

• Love
Reactions: spectrum
All this post about shudder, even on Raven 2019s got me all suspiscious - like I feel somewhat of a shudder when accelerating, but maybe its not...

What is the best way to find out if my LR X 9/19 built has this shudder?

Zero shudder on my 2019 Performance X, picked it up August 1, it has 4500 miles already, and I have a lead foot still, I just can’t give up the silly grin I get when I go from 0-45 when I’m first at a stoplight, look up to the rear view and everyone else is now 100 yards behind me.

Accelerating from 5 - 65 when I turn onto the 4 lane near my house is also shudder free. I don’t ever pull out in front of traffic that is any nearer than I would pull out in front of in my pickup, as I don’t want to dangerously surprise anyone, however sometimes I see folks switch to the left lane when I start to pull out, but unless they are speeding, they never get much closer.

Love to get my Vitamin “G” everyday!

Raven p100 X, about 6k miles, and I started noticing a shudder starting around the same time the 3% perf increase software update came out. Could be a coincidence. Shudder mostly noticable between 50-60 mph, especially in 'standard' suspension.

I never noticed any shudder before, so something has happened as it's consistent now

Raven Long Range Performance Ludicrous (aka P100DL) - started to notice shudder at 3k miles (before the performance increase update came out). Also most noticeable between 50-60mph, doesn't seem to matter what I set suspension to.

For me, seems to be most noticeable when the car is driven from cold and using light to moderate acceleration - definitely seems to be front motor related to me as the shudder stops as soon as I lift off the accelerator and comes back as soon as you resume accelerating.

It's been into Tesla once (Nov 14th) when it first started but when accompanied by an engineer and with a now fully warmed up car after the long drive to the SC, could not re-create the noise sufficiently for them to witness it. It's booked back in on the 12th so they can have it overnight and run it from cold.

I've seem a few posts by other Raven X owners on other threads here and on Tesla's own forum saying similar things, so sadly it appears Raven's are affected just the same with this well known "shudder" issue.

Update on my Raven Model X, P100D, no ludicrous: Very noticeable shudder kicked in suddenly one day, mostly in the 40-60mph range. Happens when suspension is "low" as well although to a lesser degree. Sometimes it can be faint, sometimes louder, not sure what the pattern is (maybe warm vs cold as mentioned above?). Took it to service, we went on a test drive and Tesla agent confirmed shudder was there (and again later when discussing back in the office with a few more folks around). Was given the usual "known behavior of X/S, yadda yadda, no solution". When service doc was sent for me to approve it said "no shudder noticed during test drive"... Riiight. Still love the car, but come'on Tesla...

Update on my Raven Model X, P100D, no ludicrous: Very noticeable shudder kicked in suddenly one day, mostly in the 40-60mph range. Happens when suspension is "low" as well although to a lesser degree. Sometimes it can be faint, sometimes louder, not sure what the pattern is (maybe warm vs cold as mentioned above?). Took it to service, we went on a test drive and Tesla agent confirmed shudder was there (and again later when discussing back in the office with a few more folks around). Was given the usual "known behavior of X/S, yadda yadda, no solution". When service doc was sent for me to approve it said "no shudder noticed during test drive"... Riiight. Still love the car, but come'on Tesla...

This is weird. In my non-Raven MX P100DL, I have never noticed shudder when accelerating at speed. Only from a dig.

Took delivery of my Raven X LR in October. Just noticed shudder today, only during full pedal acceleration at around 40 mph, tried this repeatedly and the shudder happened everytime. Have booked a service appointment, hopefully we can get this resolved. This wasn't happening before. Car has about 8k km (5k miles).

Took delivery of a 2020 Raven X Performance last week. Less than 500 miles, no shudder so far. Coming from a 2016 Model X 90D, I agree with the findings of NovemberXray. The subtle differences between the two models are quite appreciable and a much more satisfying experience. The ride quality difference cannot be underestimated in combination with the improved range/efficiency.

Performance 2019 Raven with 1500 miles in no shutter so far. Just to add to the pile, not enough people are talking about sound deadening and suspension on raven. Sound is more in line with expected luxury class but the suspension is borderline revolutionary good. You’d be forgiven for upgrading for no other reason than that.

Reactions: DriverOne