Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Previously owned Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all and thank you in advance!
I just joined the Tesla World last Saturday with the purchase of a Previously Owned 2015 Model S 70D. Needless to say, I LOVE IT! It has already changed my life. Currently I have FREE supercharging. My question is; how can I register my car with Tesla without losing my free Supercharging? I have a red tab on my screen that says, "update payment method", however when I click on it, it takes me to a blank page. I would love to be able to use my Tesla App on my phone, I'm just afraid of losing my free Supercharging. Any advice is greatly appreciated

You shouldn't lose your supercharging. It stays with the car for life. Use the "chat" feature on Tesla.com and request to have the car added to your account. You will need to provide proof of purchase and a few other documents. Takes a few days for Tesla to complete. Once done you will have access with the app on your phone.

Reactions: kwag
Hello all and thank you in advance!
I just joined the Tesla World last Saturday with the purchase of a Previously Owned 2015 Model S 70D. Needless to say, I LOVE IT! It has already changed my life. Currently I have FREE supercharging. My question is; how can I register my car with Tesla without losing my free Supercharging? I have a red tab on my screen that says, "update payment method", however when I click on it, it takes me to a blank page. I would love to be able to use my Tesla App on my phone, I'm just afraid of losing my free Supercharging. Any advice is greatly appreciated
Did you buy from a private seller or from a used car dealer (including Tesla)? If it wasn't from a private seller, there's a chance that the free Supercharging wouldn't transfer. Tesla changed their policies over the summer and changed it so that free transferable Supercharging for life doesn't always transfer anymore, unfortunately.

That's what I've heard, so I'm thinking I might NOT call Tesla and just forego the luxury of the app for free Supercharging. It's interesting how Tesla can promise free supercharging for life and then arbitrarily change their mind. Seems a little shity in my book...

Since you bought the car with it enabled, it's illegal for them to remove it now. That might not stop them from removing it (there are stories of it happening) but record your free supercharging now so it's confirmed you have it, and then request app access. That way if they try to pull a fast one you can make them give it back. App access is nice, I recommend it even with the potential for Tesla to mess with you.

Seems a little shity in my book...
Welcome to Tesla ownership! If the cars weren't so good, the company wouldn't be able to get away with pulling shitty things like this.

The free supercharging isn’t as valuable as you’d think. If you do 10K miles a year with the superchargers, I believe it works out to about $600 per year in savings. 10K miles is a lot of long trips, far more than many of us drive.

Tesla wants credit card data. Even those of use with the free supercharging need to enter a credit card. There can be additional fees, such as if one leaves the car parked in a charging spot far beyond the time it takes to charge. Tesla needs a way to assess those fees.

Call Tesla and see if the free supercharging is still a part of the car. Trying to hide a change of ownership probably causes more difficulties than it saves. If you usually charge at home, the free supercharging is a nice warm fuzzy but in real terms, it’s overblown. Any car that passes through Tesla’s ownership will have free lifetime supercharging stripped from the car. If you buy from an individual or from another dealer, the 2015 cars should have transferable free lifetime supercharging. If the car did pass through Tesla’s hands, they already know that the ownership changed. If it didn’t, then the supercharging survives the ownership change anyway. Just the fact Tesla wants a credit card number on file doesn’t really tell you anything. On the down side suppose you don’t give them a credit card number, and you rack up $50-100 in parking penalty fees, it’s likely Tesla may disable supercharging for the car until the debt is satisfied. So there’s not really a down side to giving them the credit card number.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricTravel
Since you bought the car with it enabled, it's illegal for them to remove it now. That might not stop them from removing it (there are stories of it happening) but record your free supercharging now so it's confirmed you have it, and then request app access. That way if they try to pull a fast one you can make them give it back. App access is nice, I recommend it even with the potential for Tesla to mess with you.

Welcome to Tesla ownership! If the cars weren't so good, the company wouldn't be able to get away with pulling shitty things like this.

Thank you Chaserr, how do I go about "recording my free supercharging"? I have had the car 2 weeks tomorrow and I have been plugging in to the Tesla Superchargers everyday with free charging. Do I need to record it some other way?

U have to register the car in your name at Tesla or u cant get service. When u call u have to have account or they wont talk to u. Once u get ur title u have to fax to them. It took me 2 months to get a title, they wont take bill of sale.
I got my first threat of idling charge a few months back. They will charge me next time is why the want a credit card.

Aah, the free supercharging euphoria when you first get an enabled car. I used to supercharge all the time as well, until I got a 240V outlet installed in my garage and realized how cheap and much more convenient it was to charge at home.

He already knows it's part of the car. He's worried they might steal it from him.

If they do, you have to sue them but you'll get it back. They can't take what you paid for and you bought the car with free supercharging.

Steal is a strong word, an inflammatory word, and there’s no need for it here.

When the car belongs to Tesla, they can do what they like with it. If they want to remove free lifetime supercharging while they own it and then sell the car without it, that’s up to them. If the car passed through Tesla’s hands and they elected to remove the lifetime free supercharging while they owned it, then they sold it without that supercharging, then it won’t do any good to sue anyone. They were within their rights. If the car passed hands and never went through Tesla’s ownership, then they cannot remove the option.

If the car did not ever belong to Tesla after the original sale, then Tesla cannot remove the lifetime free supercharging. In 2015, that lifetime free supercharging was transferrable, so it remains with the car no matter how many times the car changes hands. If the car ever passes through Tesla’s ownership, they’ll strip the lifetime free supercharging from the car and it will remain from then on without the free lifetime supercharging.

If it is still part of the car, and since he bought it from a Ford dealer, I assume it is, then there’s nothing to be gained by trying to hide the change in ownership from Tesla.

Now it’s possible the car was owned for a couple of years, was traded in, Tesla owned it, then Tesla sold it to someone else that eventually sold it to Ford. In that case the car did pass through Tesla’s ownership and Tesla would have been within their rights to strip the feature while they owned it. If the Ford dealer then later represented the car as having free lifetime supercharging, then that was the Ford dealer’s error, not Tesla’s. We assume the car was a one owner car but I don’t think that was ever stated.

Last edited:
"Now it’s possible the car was owned for a couple of years, was traded in, Tesla owned it, then Tesla sold it to someone else that eventually sold it to Ford. In that case the car did pass through Tesla’s ownership and Tesla would have been within their rights to strip the feature while they owned it. If the Ford dealer then later represented the car as having free lifetime supercharging, then that was the Ford dealer’s error, not Tesla’s. We assume the car was a one owner car but I don’t think that was ever stated."

This is correct. I am in the middle of a situation with a "high-end" used car dealer in TX- who sold me the 2013 S P85 w free lifetime supercharging, but when i registered the car w Tesla- they said the supercharging was stripped by Tesla when they sold it at auction 2 months prior. I had the dealer, prior to purchase, send me a letter verifying the car had free supercharging. Now they are saying to me that the car should have free supercharging- they dont understand why it doesnt- . I am asking them for a "rebate" or to pay my supercharging fees monthly as they are incurred. If no remedy- I will be contacting a lawyer. To me, the mileage I drive, it would be worth $1,000- $1,500 year. Buyer beware regarding the Free Lifetime supercharging.... Love the car though...

Steal is a strong word, an inflammatory word, and there’s no need for it here.
It's the appropriate legal term for the actions a third party takes to deprive you of ownership of a thing you paid for and own without your permission. Tesla does it, it's inappropriate for them to do so but that hasn't stopped them from doing it. We're discussing things Tesla steals from Tesla owners, and we all wish there was no need to describe what they do using the legal description of it in this way.

It's the appropriate legal term for the actions a third party takes to deprive you of ownership of a thing you paid for and own without your permission. Tesla does it, it's inappropriate for them to do so but that hasn't stopped them from doing it. We're discussing things Tesla steals from Tesla owners, and we all wish there was no need to describe what they do using the legal description of it in this way.

Tesla strips the lifetime free supercharging when they own the car. It’s Tesla’s car. They can do that. Then they resell it without the lifetime free supercharging. There is nothing wrong with this. The purchaser of the used car buys it without the lifetime free supercharging. Since the used car purchaser never owned free lifetime supercharging, he cannot be “deprived” of it.

If Tesla doesn’t ever own the car again after the initial sale, they cannot strip the lifetime free supercharging from the car because there is no period during which Tesla owns the car again.

Nothing is stolen from anyone. Nothing is misrepresented.