Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price back up to Original of 52,990 as i expected...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was planning to buy a MY LR in a few months but man, they just keep raising the price. I might keep my 2015 Crosstrek for a bit longer instead, eventually the prices will come back down. Plus if I wait until next year the MY's out of Austin might have other colors available so maybe this is a good thing.

It's not that I can't afford it, but the frugal side of me doesn't like paying more for something I could have gotten for less money a little while ago.

You think Tesla raised the price in anticipating a new tax credit?

I think that's wishful thinking.

Tesla is a business so they want to make a profit. Therefore you have 2 strong possibilities of the price increases. First, they know the demand for Model Y's is so high that they can get away with it, and people are still buying them at their current prices. And second, their suppliers are raising prices as parts are harder to get when building the cars, so the cost increase is passed along to the consumer.

Reactions: HillClimb
I was planning to buy a MY LR in a few months but man, they just keep raising the price. I might keep my 2015 Crosstrek for a bit longer instead, eventually the prices will come back down. Plus if I wait until next year the MY's out of Austin might have other colors available so maybe this is a good thing.

It's not that I can't afford it, but the frugal side of me doesn't like paying more for something I could have gotten for less money a little while ago.
I wouldn't worry that Tesla increases prices.
The used market is absolutely crazy. Right now you may get a very nice value for your 2015 Crosstrek.
My 5 year old truck "depreciated" only 35%?!?!?
Local dealerships bagging to sell your car. In the past week I got calls "reminding me" they have free inspection and even oil changes.
I bough it from one dealer, but serviced it at 3 different ones in the area. (better tire package prices, scheduling availability)
So suddenly they are all interested to help. Old trick - come on in we make you an offer and put you in a new one.
Point is 2015 Crosstrek will be valued way more right now:
- crazy used market
- still lower miles than it will have in 6 mo or a year
- Tesla likely to keep the prices the way they are or raise them again
- in say a year you will get less $$ for Crosstrek and pay more for Tesla

Reactions: Big Earl
I highly doubt the MY will come down in price. We may never see as low as they were. I wouldn't put too much faith in ever getting another Tesla tax credit and that hasn't remotely slowed the sales of the MY. I would sell the car you plan on replacing as soon as possible in this market.

For example, my 2 year old Acura, I sold wholesale to a dealer for about 6% less than I paid for it new. Even if I were to get the tax credits on a future sale, and the used car market returned to normal, the typical depreciation I would have seen likely would have been far more than any tax credit offset. On a less expesive vehicle that might not be the case but I wasn't going to turn down my offer. MY car had a pretty significant scratch across the rear quarter panel and bumper so the valuation was even more remarkable.

The new MIT (made in Texas) MYs still aren't ramped up. I also expect them to have some issue initially ramping up. Ultimately I think they will be better but in the short term, it will likely take some time to resolve. It might take longer than anyone expects if Tesla tries to really push production there to keep up with demand. If they substantially improve things, I am sure I can get out of my MY pretty easily and I suspect almost anyone else can as well if there is an incredible reason to trade up.

The enjoyment of driving this every day can't be measured in purely economic terms. I waited for a while to buy a Tesla, and we've had other electric cars but with a lot less range. For us a Tesla finally meets the vast majority of our driving needs and has sufficient range, even staying within the recommended limits for minimizing battery degradation that we have no range anxiety. While I wanted to potentially wait for the new cells, I have no idea what their degradation profile will be long term. Maybe it will be far better, maybe it won't. I have a known quantity and can plan accordingly.

The perfect storm for raising prices in the used car market really pushed us over the edge to dump our other car now and we haven't looked back. Factor in the joy of ownership has exceeded our expectations by quite a bit but the ordering and finally getting our car was abysmal. Several times we almost just said eff it and bailed. We are glad we stuck with it.

The used market is absolutely crazy. Right now you may get a very nice value for your 2015 Crosstrek.
My 5 year old truck "depreciated" only 35%?!?!?
Local dealerships bagging to sell your car. In the past week I got calls "reminding me" they have free inspection and even oil changes.
I bough it from one dealer, but serviced it at 3 different ones in the area. (better tire package prices, scheduling availability)
So suddenly they are all interested to help. Old trick - come on in we make you an offer and put you in a new one.
Point is 2015 Crosstrek will be valued way more right now:
- crazy used market
- still lower miles than it will have in 6 mo or a year
- Tesla likely to keep the prices the way they are or raise them again
- in say a year you will get less $$ for Crosstrek and pay more for Tesla
I sold my 5 year old Tacoma for what I paid fir it new! Zero depreciation.

Reactions: Daekwan and zpaul

True, if I got a really great trade in or sale value for my Crosstrek I'd care less about the raising MY prices.

I need to run down to the Tesla showroom and see what they'd give me trade in for my Subaru.

Once you submit an order, they ask if you have a trade and evaluate it remotely from what I've seen. Also check with Carvana, Vroom, Carmax and your local dealer that carries the brand of your car for quotes. In my area there was a company that promised to beat Carmax's offer by up to 1k. My local car dealer for the make I traded in beat Carmax by 2k.

I have been looking at that balance between home prices and potential interest rates in a year. Not sure the houses we are looking at would drop enough in a year to offset a 1% potential increase in interest rates. Houses seem to go up even faster in some markets than the Model Y is this year.

Reactions: whisperingshad
I hope you are right and I think the housing bubble is already deflating a bit. Hope it hits sooner than later as we need to relocate into a pretty hot market.
same thing here. I feel lucky we got our house when we did, but it was always meant to be kind of temporary , but now even though our home values have skyrocketed so has everything else. Nice problem to have I guess, but now homes that were reasonable are a ton more