Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price change after ordered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you go to your cars page. Click on tequest a change button. Select Other and enter that you would like the original price honored. I did this with my performance M3 that I ordered on 17/09 and still havent gotten any VIN after the price went up by 1000$. I came back after 10 minutes, refreshed the page and they had reajusted my price. I understand the frustration with the price adjustements but im sure they will fix that for you. Go get your credit back and impatiently wait for your car like we all are doing. Lol

Well I can take the order drive just under a 1000 miles and then return the car as used and get my money back.

Just in case you are a really vindictive person and this is your plan you may want to rethink. Unless you are buying with cash, in order to enact this plan you will have to go through the credit check, loan, registration, and insurance processes. It will be a huge hassle to you and very little to Tesla who will just take 1000 off and throw it in their used inventory. You also wont get your money back same day. Totally not worth it. In fact if the car isn't great when you get it don't take it at all because its easier on you to wait than deal with existing problems.

Do any of you clutching your pearls over this have any positive confirmation that Tesla has no plans to honor your original order price? Because this has always been the case in the past.
Sounds Tesla and you are not a good fit. This is probably a sign on many more headaches for you. Tesla is an ever changing landscape and you require stability. Recommend a Mercedes. Solid. Never changes. Do everyone a favor and cancel your order.

This is not about money - not one bit. I think the long-term owners are misinterpreting how those of us who recently have ordered are reacting to all of this. And times (as well as buyers) are different than when people waited 1, 2 or more years for a car. Many people ordering today are expecting a bit more from Tesla - as Tesla has become well established in the automotive world. Still, I agree that Tesla is an “ever-changing landscape.”

However, this does not mean we require total stability. What we want and are not happy with is a company that often does not treat its customers well. Good business practices are very established norms for transactions - including communication, contractual agreements, etc. Tesla is no longer a small business. Compared with many, it is now immense. It’s time to act like the big boys and Tesla needs to grow up.

So yes, constantly flip-flopping delivery dates, ever changing car components, and total lack of communication from a company whose average product is in the $50K range - is becoming less and less acceptable for a large company like Tesla. What is Tesla’s market capitalization? Many tens of billions? More? When you get to that size, you should be able to keep your documentation in order. Deleting small components from the car isn’t critical - its simply bad manners. Next, we’ll hear that instead of paint, that every Model 3 will be issued a can of the appropriate color and a brush! While an over-exaggeration, I think my point is clear.

So please don’t tell us that we lack the fortitude to buy or own a Tesla. Please understand that many of us simply have waited for Tesla to become a large company before we purchased its products. Many people purchased Teslas in it’s “wild west” days. According to Tesla, these days are gone and they are rapidly progressing towards further success. If so, then Tesla has to act the part. Tesla wants a big, stable stock price on a stock exchange. To get there, Tesla has to act like it belongs there. No company gets to have it both ways. Tesla is BIG business now - and that means Tesla cannot act like a small child.

We want our Model 3’s - and will continue to wait - as we have chosen to do so. We will deal with the nonsense as it is dealt to us. We have decided to purchase from a “large, multi-national manufacturing company.” That is Tesla’s “branding”, not ours. We’ve done our part in this process. Let’s see if Tesla is up to theirs.

Just in case you are a really vindictive person and this is your plan you may want to rethink. Unless you are buying with cash, in order to enact this plan you will have to go through the credit check, loan, registration, and insurance processes.

1) One inquiry is not gonna kill his credit. Loan application takes 5 mins.
2) Registration Tesla does it for you. Not his problem if he returns it. He is entitled to have his money back. Tesla most likely holds the execution of his loan and registration until the 7 days have passed.
3) Insurance is a non issue. According to his profile, hes in California. In CA, you have at least 10 days of grace period where you current insurance will cover your new car.

Is a little hassle, but is not THAT bad other than having your deposit + taxes held for a few weeks.

I put my $2500 deposit on Oct 7 2019 and the price for model 3 Sr+ Was $38990 Delivery 2-3 weeks. I have been waiting patiently for vin and delivery. This morning checking on my order the price went up to $39490 and now a 6-10 week wait. Tesla can’t do that but that is what is in my account. how is Tesla getting away with this price change after an order is placed. Sounds like a lawsuit. Are there others that this has happened to as well? If so a class action lawsuit is warranted.
They did the same to me.

I had some weird price variations that did not match up to my original agreed to contract. I called the delivery guy listed on the site and he told me those numbers on the site are just numbers they use to get the process started such as financing estimates etc and they are not correct, they are ballpark. In the end, I did pay the exact price I agreed to even though the price on the site was higher. I hope this is the same situation here, good luck!

...Tesla cannot act like a small child...

I agree that Tesla's customer service and communications are not the best and customers should not accept that subpar standard.

However, that is not illegal at all.

For example, Tesla can refuse to fix eye-sored panel gaps, unmatched paint... and the worst Tesla would be legally held liable is to return your deposit and you just walk away without paying for those imperfections.

That is not best practice because many customers are not trained in Quality Assurance and they may miss all the imperfections and they unknowingly got stuck with them.

Same with this thread. The price discrepancies might be website errors but if consumers are not keen in seeing the different numbers, they may not realize that they would pay more than what they originally agreed.

Thus, knowing that it is not illegal for bad Quality Assurance issues nor Price Changing, please just talk to Tesla staff and most likely, they will make it right for you.

In the meantime, just hope very hard that there will be worthy competitors so Tesla will have to correct its weakness.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonquiljo
I agree that Tesla's customer service and communications are not the best and customers should not accept that subpar standard.

However, that is not illegal at all.

For example, Tesla can refuse to fix eye-sored panel gaps, unmatched paint... and the worst Tesla would be legally held liable is to return your deposit and you just walk away without paying for those imperfections.

That is not best practice because many customers are not trained in Quality Assurance and they may miss all the imperfections and they unknowingly got stuck with them.

Same with this thread. The price discrepancies might be website errors but if consumers are not keen in seeing the different numbers, they may not realize that they would pay more than what they originally agreed.

Thus, knowing that it is not illegal for bad Quality Assurance issues nor Price Changing, please just talk to Tesla staff and most likely, they will make it right for you.

In the meantime, just hope very hard that there will be worth competitors so Tesla will have to correct its weakness.
Agreed. This is all perfectly legal. But all this is just about as bad mannered as belching out loud at the Thanksgiving dinner table! It takes some of the fun out of what is (will be) a unique and enjoyable experience. The car will cost what it costs.

I guess what got to me was when I realized that they deleted the floor mats a number of months ago. It's been easily 35-40 years since I have owned a car where I had to provide the floor mats. What does that save Tesla? A few bucks in the grand scheme of things? In big business (and Tesla has graduated to that level), image is everything! Model S lifted Tesla off as a luxury car maker. Please don't make the Model 3 a car that is an exception.

Competition will really help Tesla when it comes.

Model S lifted Tesla off as a luxury car maker. Please don't make the Model 3 a car that is an exception.

I think there's a critical point here that I see people miss all the time.

Tesla has been very clear from the beginning that selling expensive cars to rich people was a necessary detour, not the long-term business strategy.

People buying Model 3s (or really any Tesla these days, even $100k+ Model S/X) and expecting a luxury experience and treatment are going to continue to be sorely disappointed. That's not what Tesla does, it's not what they want to do, and they've never been coy about that.

The bottom line (literally) is that a couple hundred bucks per car matters immensely right now and can essentially be the difference between a company that succeeds and one that fails. That might mean sacrificing floor mats and grocery bag hooks instead of compromising on the core technology. It might mean inconsistent communications pre-delivery, or technical issues that result in pricing mistakes they fix manually. That's just how it is right now. If you want an EV and a true luxury experience, Jaguar, Porsche, or Audi will happily take your money (and significantly more of it to boot).

I get that people react poorly and become incensed when others on this forum try to tell them that they're probably not going to be happy with a Tesla, but it's the plain truth. Some people have unrealistic expectations about the service they're going to receive for the amount of money they're paying, and no amount of griping is going to rectify that or change the current truth of the situation.

I think there's a critical point here that I see people miss all the time.

Tesla has been very clear from the beginning that selling expensive cars to rich people was a necessary detour, not the long-term business strategy.

People buying Model 3s (or really any Tesla these days, even $100k+ Model S/X) and expecting a luxury experience and treatment are going to continue to be sorely disappointed. That's not what Tesla does, it's not what they want to do, and they've never been coy about that.

The bottom line (literally) is that a couple hundred bucks per car matters immensely right now and can essentially be the difference between a company that succeeds and one that fails. That might mean sacrificing floor mats and grocery bag hooks instead of compromising on the core technology. It might mean inconsistent communications pre-delivery, or technical issues that result in pricing mistakes they fix manually. That's just how it is right now. If you want an EV and a true luxury experience, Jaguar, Porsche, or Audi will happily take your money (and significantly more of it to boot).

I get that people react poorly and become incensed when others on this forum try to tell them that they're probably not going to be happy with a Tesla, but it's the plain truth. Some people have unrealistic expectations about the service they're going to receive for the amount of money they're paying, and no amount of griping is going to rectify that or change the current truth of the situation.

Sorry, but I agree somewhat, but will agree to disagree somewhat also - but all in a friendly spirit. Models S and X are (mostly) luxury vehicles. Model 3 is also. The mechanical aspects of a Model 3 are truly well done - as are many of it's interior aspects. Removing mats or bag hooks, etc. - really does not save much in the cost of building a vehicle, and I know of very few people who would mind a price increase if they were warned about it. What, the cost of items removed is about $150 per vehicle? I say, "then charge us" for these basic items! People only object to the changing of prices when they are not informed. I doubt Tesla lost any sales from this latest round of price increases, so $150 more is insignificant.

If anything, it was Elon Musk that made a big deal about selling a Model 3 for the (yet to be shown) price of $35,000. That was his idea and the media ran off with it. How he deals with that expectation is his problem now.

Finally, I find the "take the bad experience or leave it" is really not the best thing to say to people. Tesla has had a number of years to learn to be a big time automaker - and it has finally graduated into that category. Competition will come, and lots of people just want a good EV at any cost. Good customer service, even mediocre service is not expensive. It entails keeping the customer abreast of new development, changes, etc. Tesla can do all that via e-mail - the same way it processes deliveries. Perhaps Tesla will get organized and even save money that way.

A little PR would be a good move for Tesla right now. There is a lot to be said for a modicum of good communication. It sells cars - and that's what will make Tesla succeed.

I logged into my account today, had the same issue, price went up by 1k? My due amount reduced, and Estimated timeframe has dissapeard, quite strange.
Before it was 2-4 weeks.

I called in Tesla they re changed however due amount seems still 1K extra.

Im having deja vu..
this whole entire price change fiasco went down a couple weeks ago with the performance orders..we all requested a change back to the original price and it was done instantly. I was all bent outta shape too..but they fixed the price issue no problem.

REQUEST A CHANGE
OTHER
DESCRIBE YOUR PROBLEM

done

Update from my SA

Order Date: 10/12/2019
Config: SR+ White/White 19" w/AP

'Thanks for reaching out. Yes we will honor the original price, which would be $#####. As far as any other updates I am projecting before the end of this month, before the 28th of you receiving your car. I certainly will keep you posted as things happen. Hopefully your car comes sooner. I appreciate your patience.

Kind Regards'

This is what my SA told me.

Hi,

I apologize I was out of the office yesterday, I checked in with management on this and since Tesla discontinued the previous Standard Range+ Model 3 and improved the range and specifications for the 2020 builds, the price did increase and that is why it is reflecting on your account since your vehicle is still pending production.

Since you'll be getting the latest features, the price increased. However, if I find an inventory model 3 that was made prior to the change, I can match you to it and it will show the previous pricing prior to the $500 increase and have 240 miles. I would just have to wait for one to come through, and it will likely be a previous test drive vehicle.

If you'd prefer to wait for a new vehicle, then it will include the $500 increase. Unfortunately I cannot change or modify the price of the vehicle and I do not have the authority to do so, so I completely understand if you'd need to cancel your order if the new pricing doesn't work with you.

Let me know what you decide and I'll continue to help you with the next steps.

FWIW i just checked mine and without doing anything or talking to anyone it has been corrected. They didnt lower the price back down $500 but instead I now have a $500 referral credit to bring the price back down to what it was.