Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Check - 2013 p85+ w/ full Clear-Bra

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tempbow

2014 Tesla Model S P85+
Oct 17, 2022
Washington
Price check-

2014 p85+ w/ Sports Pkg. Currently priced at 46.5k with 59.9k miles.
It’s also got a full clear-wrap over the whole body. Options below:

Attachments

• 0F22DD13-B266-4F2F-9451-BBA7C62B05D4.jpeg
    0F22DD13-B266-4F2F-9451-BBA7C62B05D4.jpeg
    449.6 KB · Views: 154
  • C06D0FD2-DFC5-4D3B-BB2B-2CB1173A41D5.jpeg
    C06D0FD2-DFC5-4D3B-BB2B-2CB1173A41D5.jpeg
    796.7 KB · Views: 118
Do you know the repair/service history of the car? Gotta be honest, not sure I’d buy a 2012-2014 S with the original battery at any price. They are ticking time bombs. There are 5 recent threads about 2012-2014 battery failures on the first page of the battery/charging forum alone.

Are you able/willing to spend ~$20k on a repair, potentially shortly after you buy the car?

$47k seems like a lot, and buying a used car right now is like trying to catch a falling knife.

Upvote 0
It looks like it is very well kept, however as the owner of a 2013 model S, you need to be prepared for some potentially expensive repairs. The drive units are known to fail, and that's a $6k replacement. The early batteries are also not as robust as the newer models, and a new pack is $20k. Not to mention the door handles, battery heaters, and the other list of items that fail with old age on these early models.

Also the price point is questionable. 2016 and 2017 75's in my area are running ~$50k.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Upvote 0
I did forget to mention but the battery charges to 258 miles at full charge- does this help at all with this vehicle?

I’d bet a General Grant the seller has set the display to “ideal” miles instead of “rated” to try and fool a naive buyer. Verify this in controls -> display and make sure the range display is set to “rated”. Ideal miles should not be used for anything, ever. Well, except for maybe trying to dupe a buyer into thinking your car is better than it actually is.

Upvote 0
I’d bet a General Grant the seller has set the display to “ideal” miles instead of “rated” to try and fool a naive buyer. Verify this in controls -> display and make sure the range display is set to “rated”. Ideal miles should not be used for anything, ever. Well, except for maybe trying to dupe a buyer into thinking your car is better than it actually is.

Just confirmed the 258 mile range is at rated. The vehicle history will be ready tomorrow from the looks of things, anything else i should look for?

Upvote 0
Just confirmed the 258 mile range is at rated. The vehicle history will be ready tomorrow from the looks of things, anything else i should look for?

One of the most consistent complaints I see from owners of cars with early packs is severely restricted supercharging rate. So even if you do not see a loss in range, if you're planning on much long range travel, you'll find that charging stops will be much longer. That may not be an issue to you if you're going to largely use the car for local driving. You could try to verify this, but you'll only see the impact if you first drive the car down to about 20-25% SOC. If the car is already near 80-90%, then the rate is always much less due to how the charging rate tapers with higher SOC.

Upvote 0
The 85 packs were rated at 265 when new, and even a rebuilt pack wouldn’t likely have that much range. I’m guessing it’s a replacement 90 pack that has degraded to 258.

As others mentioned, super charging speeds are also slow. Expect an hour to an hour and a half at a supercharger.

Upvote 0
If there are no problems, you will probably enjoy the car. I have a 2014 P85+ and love it (also currently have a 2021 Model Y LR and 2015 70D). Based on the range you quoted, the battery has likely been changed. The motor probably has been changed too (mine has been changed for coolant leak). It looks like a nice car to me and the price seems in the range of the current market.

Upvote 0
The vehicle has been greatly cared for from the looks of things, th
Oh, and on supercharging. I don’t supercharge often, but recently my 2014 P85+ peaked at 132kw, which I was very happy with. You might want to check or ask the charging rate before buying.
The DU seems to have been swapped at 51k miles- and there was also mention of a battery swap + other components- so i think everything so far checks out. Any other thoughts?

Attachments

• F1D6014A-80B2-4379-9CE4-DB396DF02046.jpeg
    F1D6014A-80B2-4379-9CE4-DB396DF02046.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 339EA76E-4BCB-4BBF-B3B3-ADF8A0CD146D.jpeg
    339EA76E-4BCB-4BBF-B3B3-ADF8A0CD146D.jpeg
    725.8 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0
I recommend reading the recent thread: Vendor - Preventative Maintenance regarding Battery Failures in early Model S vehicles (2012-2014)

Basically, it describes a design flaw in 2012-early 2015ish cars where the A/C system dumps condensate directly on top of the battery pack, and the early battery packs weren't watertight enough, leading to battery failure due to water ingress.

This car likely has the A/C drain pbm; so then it would depend upon whether the HV battery replacement got you a later pack that was better designed to resist the water. Read the thread to figure out how much risk you feel prepared to take on regarding the HV battery; whether you're willing to address the A/C drain issue, etc.

Upvote 0
It's a beautiful car for sure. Back in 2017 I had my heart set on a used car just like this. I even placed a deposit. The + really had me even though I knew tires wouldn't last at that size. Then with excitement, I went to a show room to nose around only to find a new 75 RWD was about as fast as the P85 and at a similar price. We also found out the car we put a deposit on was a Tesla salvaged car bought by a dealer and repaired. Probably won't S/C. We received our deposit back. Moral of the story, I was going to make an emotional purchase that would have not been wise. Sometimes that's what we do because we like it, not because it's a good deal. There are indicators that the used car market is cooling off. Give them an offer that they cant' refuse that you will be happy at.

Upvote 0
2014 P85+ see config in signature. Put up for sale when i had the subframe replaced. Asked $37; 10 offers in 10 minutes cash. So pricing was correct. 2nd DU at 75k miles, subframe at 98k, original rev B battery. 240miles rated at 100%. MCU2 upgraded.

Tried to order a Ford lightning (my coworker got one of the first, it's awesome) then i see orders closed. Ohh well For Sale taken down. Thinking of keeping her for real and giving to my twins in 3 years with new battery pack and AP 1.0 upgrade from Wk057.

Slow supercharging, so what, its FREE, FREE, FREE;

CCS upgrade? Still coming to this model someday. Woot!.

Upvote 0