Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Check 2014 P90DL+ V3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I debated on even posting this, because I'm not sure I'm truly in the market for a new car, but I've had the itch lately and you know everything always has a price. I hate the word "Unicorn," but with the unique blend of features my car has I don't even know where it falls in the market.

It has 75k miles. "CPO" warranty until ~90k or 9/22
It started life as a P85D, the previous owner upgraded it to Ludicrous mode. The battery went out in December of 2018 and was replaced with a V3 90kw battery. I've registered 505kw of power through PowerTools.
Black car with black interior
NextGen seats, including the somewhat rarer rear seats.
Dual chargers that deliver the full 80A of charging if you desire.
Panoramic Roof
Center Console added
I have the original 19" wheels with all season tires on them (for winter), 21" Turbines, and 21" Arachnids
The car has retrofitted rear facing jump seats. It was done right and includes the crash bar and the interior switch for the lift gate.
Ceramic tint
Generic stuff from a 2014 Unlimited supercharging/Free Premium Connectivity/AP1

I hit a deer in November. Everything was replaced at a Tesla certified body shop, it was all plastic damage. Nothing structural.

I'd rather sell without the rear facing seats and the Arachnids, but I included it for full disclosure of how it sits right now.

Thanks for any input!

Sell it quick before the new Palladium comes out, or it will be in the low 30's once people see the new 500 mile range battery and triple motor with ~1000 HP and rumored updates to body and interior. God I hope they don't F this up, I love the Model S body, I would be happy with flared fenders and a new tail design, but leave the body alone..

The VIN will still list the car as a P85D, also what month was the car manufactured (assuming Dec 2013), It's also got the old nose cone style... I may dump my 2014 P85+ before the Palladium comes out so I don't get hit as hard.

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 11.31.22 PM.png

Last edited:
Sell it quick before the new Palladium comes out, or it will be in the low 30's once people see the new 500 mile range battery and triple motor with ~1000 HP and rumored updates to body and interior. God I hope they don't F this up, I love the Model S body, I would be happy with flared fenders and a new tail design, but leave the body alone..

The VIN will still list the car as a P85D, also what month was the car manufactured (assuming Dec 2013), It's also got the old nose cone style... I may dump my 2014 P85+ before the Palladium comes out so I don't get hit as hard.

View attachment 571859

I don’t think KBB is very accurate for our cars though I have checked it. I’ll admit I haven’t kept up for the last year or so, but it didn’t used to even be close.

I do hope those things are coming soon. That is really want I’m waiting for. I was considering a new Performance model, but my plan was always to wait for the Plaid to be on the market for a year or two and upgrading.

I assume you mean December of 2014 not 2013, but that is correct it is a December car. If prices have tanked that much that’ll make my decision easy. I’d keep it for my wife before I sold it for $30k.

I don’t think a potential buyer is going to care what the VIN shows. It wasn’t originally equip with Ludicrous or dual chargers, but it still has them. I do agree though, that will kill the trade in. They have no way to account for, or really care, that it has the battery from the 2016.5 P90D.

Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
To give you further perspective, I bought my 2014 P85+ right after release of the P85D due to the steep discounts that impacted the market for the RWD P85+ at the time. I have been eyeing the P100D for awhile and may make the jump to the P100D once the Plaid/Palladium is released. Also just got my annual property tax bill and Fairfax County claims my car is still worth $30K with over 100K on it, so you are probably about $10K+ from that. Good news whomever buys it will get a solid warranty on the battery, Free Unlimited Supercharging, No Annual Data Plan cost, PANO (unavailable now), very rare "+" suspension, Rear Facing Seats, a FRUNK with volume and will still blow 99.9% of the cars on the road out of the water, (just don't run into a P100D and you will be fine). Also that suspension is awesome, I have it on my P85+, and once I added light weight 19 inch fully forged wheels, it carves curves like a scalpel, unlike my wife's 2016 90D that waddles on curves and feels really heavy. Only thing this car will need in the future is the eMMC replaced at some point and maybe the revision C LCD screen (mine started developing bubbles @ 97K) and the next owner will get another 150K of blissful miles in one beast of a car. (I'm doing both this month - free labor (mine) and total cost was under $1K for parts) or opt for the updated MCU for $2500 (I didn't want to give up AM/FM) so I stayed with the original.

Another data point, my wife's 2016 90D (loaded with new fascia, SANS Performance), has 50K miles and the county property assessment came in at $43K.

Last edited:
I don’t think KBB is very accurate for our cars though I have checked it. I’ll admit I haven’t kept up for the last year or so, but it didn’t used to even be close.

I do hope those things are coming soon. That is really want I’m waiting for. I was considering a new Performance model, but my plan was always to wait for the Plaid to be on the market for a year or two and upgrading.

I assume you mean December of 2014 not 2013, but that is correct it is a December car. If prices have tanked that much that’ll make my decision easy. I’d keep it for my wife before I sold it for $30k.

I don’t think a potential buyer is going to care what the VIN shows. It wasn’t originally equip with Ludicrous or dual chargers, but it still has them. I do agree though, that will kill the trade in. They have no way to account for, or really care, that it has the battery from the 2016.5 P90D.

Thanks for the feedback.
Neither KBB nor KBB are even remotely close to the market value of a used Tesla Model S. I've bought 5 used Model S's and sold 3 of them and I can tell you from first-hand experience that book values mean nothing on these.

You can also take what people say on these forums with a grain of salt unless they have first-hand experience. Most are dreamers who lay awake at night dreaming of owning their first Tesla on a shoestring budget. They're allowed to come on here and publicly bash for sale threads trying to trash the seller's listing in an effort to make them desperate enough to steal a car at less than market value. It's the only way they can afford them so I can't say as I blame them. Their tactics lack morals and respect and I wish the mods would do a better job at removing these toxic posts but that's another topic entirely I suppose. The point is, I don't list cars I've have for sale here because of this. I've also talked to many other people who also avoid listing on the marketplace or have abandoned the TMC forum entirely. To me this is sad because it affects the entire TMC community in a negative way when a couple of bad apples aren't dealt with. Think of all the items we'd get a chance to buy from the Marketplace if it were a more inviting place to be.

There's a VERY strong market for these cars right now and the available options are quickly drying up. I've been watching the used Model S market for several years now (it's become a bit of a hobby) and I can tell you that the good cars that are well-equipped and desirable are starting to flatten out in price and some rarer birds are climbing slightly with the right conditions. As more and more look to dip a toe into the EV market I think these 5ish year old Model S offer tremendous value and the supply is dwindling which is causing the pricing to reflect this. I think if you're smart about it when you list it you can get good money for it.

Use Craigslist, Autotrader & Facebook Marketplace. Autotrade isn't free but I've had positive experience as have others on this forum. I used to use only the free options (Cars.com still has a free option also but the pics and characters are quite limited) but after reading several on this forum and other Tesla forums having positive experiences I decided to try it myself. Fortunately it was half price at the time (did the $90/$45 option) so the discount made it even better to try out. I was shocked that the car I had listed at the time sold via Autotrader almost instantly to the first couple who came to see it. Ever since then I use it along with my free options and Craigslist produces the most sales in my experience but it also produces the highest number of scammers so be careful.

• Disagree
Reactions: AMPd and Rmf1981
Neither KBB nor KBB are even remotely close to the market value of a used Tesla Model S. I've bought 5 used Model S's and sold 3 of them and I can tell you from first-hand experience that book values mean nothing on these.

You can also take what people say on these forums with a grain of salt unless they have first-hand experience. Most are dreamers who lay awake at night dreaming of owning their first Tesla on a shoestring budget. They're allowed to come on here and publicly bash for sale threads trying to trash the seller's listing in an effort to make them desperate enough to steal a car at less than market value. It's the only way they can afford them so I can't say as I blame them. Their tactics lack morals and respect and I wish the mods would do a better job at removing these toxic posts but that's another topic entirely I suppose. The point is, I don't list cars I've have for sale here because of this. I've also talked to many other people who also avoid listing on the marketplace or have abandoned the TMC forum entirely. To me this is sad because it affects the entire TMC community in a negative way when a couple of bad apples aren't dealt with. Think of all the items we'd get a chance to buy from the Marketplace if it were a more inviting place to be.

There's a VERY strong market for these cars right now and the available options are quickly drying up. I've been watching the used Model S market for several years now (it's become a bit of a hobby) and I can tell you that the good cars that are well-equipped and desirable are starting to flatten out in price and some rarer birds are climbing slightly with the right conditions. As more and more look to dip a toe into the EV market I think these 5ish year old Model S offer tremendous value and the supply is dwindling which is causing the pricing to reflect this. I think if you're smart about it when you list it you can get good money for it.

Use Craigslist, Autotrader & Facebook Marketplace. Autotrade isn't free but I've had positive experience as have others on this forum. I used to use only the free options (Cars.com still has a free option also but the pics and characters are quite limited) but after reading several on this forum and other Tesla forums having positive experiences I decided to try it myself. Fortunately it was half price at the time (did the $90/$45 option) so the discount made it even better to try out. I was shocked that the car I had listed at the time sold via Autotrader almost instantly to the first couple who came to see it. Ever since then I use it along with my free options and Craigslist produces the most sales in my experience but it also produces the highest number of scammers so be careful.

Or, some of us may have plenty of opportunity to purchase the cars we want, but believe the pie in the sky ideas of some sellers here fail to reflect reality. Some of us have purchased several Teslas - from here and other sources - but don't feel the need to list every purchase in our "signature.". And some of us simply don't like to be overcharged for what is and remains a mass produced car. There are few (no?) Unicorns here in a mass produced car.

And blame the company you all love so much! Tesla actively undermines private sellers! Every car they take in from trade/lease gets FSD and a 4 year warranty! So as a private seller, best you could do is 3-4k less than what Tesla sells the same car for to account for the warranty. If you don't have FSD, it's 10k!

Man, you're entitled to your opinion but I really wish you would stop whining.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ostrichsak
Or, some of us may have plenty of opportunity to purchase the cars we want, but believe the pie in the sky ideas of some sellers here fail to reflect reality. Some of us have purchased several Teslas - from here and other sources - but don't feel the need to list every purchase in our "signature.". And some of us simply don't like to be overcharged for what is and remains a mass produced car. There are few (no?) Unicorns here in a mass produced car.

And blame the company you all love so much! Tesla actively undermines private sellers! Every car they take in from trade/lease gets FSD and a 4 year warranty! So as a private seller, best you could do is 3-4k less than what Tesla sells the same car for to account for the warranty. If you don't have FSD, it's 10k!

Man, you're entitled to your opinion but I really wish you would stop whining.

Funny, I was told by several "experts" on this forum that my car was overpriced. I sold it for full asking price elsewhere. I also sold two more cars that were quite similar to those being offered here by others who were destroyed over their asking price publicly. I also sold those for full asking price elsewhere. Seeing a trend here?

The arrogance of someone to assume they know what the best listing price for someone else's car is astounding. Whining is what the people do who go around ripping people publicly for asking too much money for their car and it's getting old.

If you listed it for 45-48k private party you would get it easily. Performance 3 is 10k more, looks worse, slower, smaller, etc. The battery alone is worth almost half that, people here are pretty unrealistic with pricing and should be ignored. Early last year, tesla got way too aggressive with pricing and gave cars away for insane value. They have since done a better job taking fewer trades and controlling inventory to support resale value.

The fact that you could get an 85 with free lifetime supercharging/data, fully loaded for under 40k with warranty was the best car available for the price I have ever seen in my life.

If I tried to sell it here, I have no doubt I would be told it’s a 25k car, but if I tried to find the same condition+features I have now, I would have to spend 40k again assuming I could even find one.

Funny, I was told by several "experts" on this forum that my car was overpriced. I sold it for full asking price elsewhere. I also sold two more cars that were quite similar to those being offered here by others who were destroyed over their asking price publicly. I also sold those for full asking price elsewhere. Seeing a trend here?

The arrogance of someone to assume they know what the best listing price for someone else's car is astounding. Whining is what the people do who go around ripping people publicly for asking too much money for their car and it's getting old.

No not "seeing a trend" here. Your experience is what one might call "ancedotal." Your experience may or may not reflect the entirety of the market, so is it any less arrogant to think that YOU know the entire market based on 3 sales?

To me, it's actually an easy market to price. Look at what Tesla is asking for a similar car - if you'd don't have FSD subtract that value. If you don't have 4 years of warranty, adjust accordingly. It's blows my mind that people want/expect more money for a car that has less features than what Tesla is asking.

If you DO want to ask more, be prepared to justify why! (It's a UNICORN! LOL)

• Disagree
Reactions: Ostrichsak
No not "seeing a trend" here. Your experience is what one might call "ancedotal." Your experience may or may not reflect the entirety of the market, so is it any less arrogant to think that YOU know the entire market based on 3 sales?

To me, it's actually an easy market to price. Look at what Tesla is asking for a similar car - if you'd don't have FSD subtract that value. If you don't have 4 years of warranty, adjust accordingly. It's blows my mind that people want/expect more money for a car that has less features than what Tesla is asking.

If you DO want to ask more, be prepared to justify why! (It's a UNICORN! LOL)

You missed my point. I never said that I do know the entire market nor do I go around offering unsolicited advice to other's for sale threads.

The point was that I've got first-hand experience (quite a bit more than the average person who craps on marketplace threads on this forum) and even then I don't profess to know everything and tell everyone what they should sell something for. If the person solicits advice on what to list a car/item for specifically, sure. But to just publicly thread crap on someone's for sale thread unsolicited because I feel like I know better than them is beyond rude and uncalled for.

Look at what Tesla sells a similar car for? ROFL Spoken like someone who hasn't bought a used car from Tesla within the last several years. Your "comparable" is buying from a nightmare machine and is like comparing apples to aardvarks. This is a terrible way to valuate used Teslas.

The way I see it, a seller can ask for a million dollars if they want. It's their car. It's not your car. What do you care? If people think it's crazy nobody will buy it and the seller will be forced to lower their price eventually. If you genuinely want the car you can PM the seller an offer below their asking price. But the final price is set by the buyer/seller. This idea though that every single person must be the newest low price that anyone drawing oxygen has ever seen to not be ridiculed publicly is absurd.

Why people feel the need to prove they're the smartest person in the room by trashing used Tesla values is beyond me.

I think we are missing the point here. Maybe it is an easy market to price, but I don’t know how I would compare it to a similar car offered from Tesla.

What would you call a similar model? A standard 2014 P85D? Ludicrous mode is difficult to match because there are few of them, but even with the increase performance and battery, this is a still probably the closest model. A 2016.5 P90D? Someone looking at performance only (my primary concern), this offers the same level of performance. You’d have to go to a P100D to be quicker. I realize pricing it like a 2016.5 would be ridiculous.

If the general consensus is that it isn’t worth more than any other 2014 P85D, then so be it, the market is what the market is. But I’d never dream of selling it for that low.

Look at what Tesla sells a similar car for? ROFL Spoken like someone who hasn't bought a used car from Tesla within the last several years. Your "comparable" is buying from a nightmare machine and is like comparing apples to aardvarks. This is a terrible way to valuate used Teslas.

Why people feel the need to prove they're the smartest person in the room by trashing used Tesla values is beyond me.

So, what would you propose is the best way to valuate these cars? I actually have never bought one from Tesla for many reasons. And I probably never would. That said, I think it provides the most accurate reflection of the market. It may even be a high reflection of the market in terms of price, which would benefit the sellers, right? But literally you have tools that make the market completely transparent (like evcpo). So again, I would ask you, what tool would you use to value the market? I believe in this thread we already said that blue book was completely inaccurate.

The second paragraph I quoted above shows your true intentions here. No one is trashing values. Saying that a price being asked by a seller is unrealistic and unsupported is not the same as trashing the value of a car. The value of the car is what it is. Seems to me that your interest is primarily in preserving the value of the cars you have as opposed to actually figuring out how to value the car accurately.

Last edited:
I think we are missing the point here. Maybe it is an easy market to price, but I don’t know how I would compare it to a similar car offered from Tesla.

What would you call a similar model? A standard 2014 P85D? Ludicrous mode is difficult to match because there are few of them, but even with the increase performance and battery, this is a still probably the closest model. A 2016.5 P90D? Someone looking at performance only (my primary concern), this offers the same level of performance. You’d have to go to a P100D to be quicker. I realize pricing it like a 2016.5 would be ridiculous.

If the general consensus is that it isn’t worth more than any other 2014 P85D, then so be it, the market is what the market is. But I’d never dream of selling it for that low.

ASMills - you actually have a valid point in my opinion. I have no idea what the value of your car is, or what I would even comp it to. But I also think that's a very small population that's going to be concerned purely about performance, so I think it's be an uphill climb to ask for more money than any other 2014 P85D+ or whatnot. Then again, this would seem like a perfect opportunity to say "I'm pricing this above comperable value because of X,Y,Z." If you did that you'd be so far ahead of most people offering MSRP -3% for their 3 year old car.....

Here are all the 2014 Model S's sold on eBay from May 2020 to August 1st 2020, the most expensive one was sold for $33K, most of them are high mileage strippers, but it is a market indicator.
tesla s in Cars & Trucks | eBay

Also I have bought 7 cars off eBay, I always avoid buying from dealers and buy direct from the seller, I got my 2014 P85+ this way and saved over $50K over a new one (market timing helped too - they dropped the P85D and everyone had to get one, my 2014 was bought in Sept 2015 that was less than a year old - March 2014 build and the beauty was it was a Tesla loaner, and didn't start the warranty until Dec 2014, when it was sold to the first buyer (trust fund baby - who burned through his trust fund in 8 months) - so I have until Dec 2022 for the battery/DU warranty to expire.

there are suckers on both ends of this equation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rmf1981
Here are the 2015's most have half the mileage, and the most expensive P85D sold for $48K, so a year younger and half the mileage. I only found one with Ludicrous, it is a 2015 P90D with 55K, it went for $59K+ and found a 2016 P100D that went for $61K
tesla s in Cars & Trucks | eBay

None of the 2014s are really relevant, none of them are PxxD and likely don’t even have AP. I didn’t open each, but since the RWD with AP1 is incredibly rare I’m just going with the odds here.

The 2015 is probably the closest one, although we’ve went from one unbelievable extreme to the other. $30k sounds ridiculous, but $60k doesn’t sound realistic either. The 2015 would also have the V1 90kw battery which is worse than even the 85kw in my and most peoples opinions.

A P100D for $60k is a hell of a deal. If that was more repeatable I’ll just buy one and have two! Ha

This is why I’m asking for help to price it. I’m not asking for help because I can’t do my own homework, I’m asking for insight and opinion because there likely isn’t another like far out there. 505kw of power to the ground with the + suspension is as good as you are going to get short of a P100D.

The 2016.5 is what it compares to with battery and performance, but it isn’t fair to compare the rest of my car. A 2016.5 being a refresh makes it hard to compare anything else. I suppose a 2015 with a V2 battery is probably as close as it’ll get. It isn’t plagued with as many issues as the V1, actually has a real world range increase and power increase over the 85.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe