Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Check - Used 2017 Model S 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am debating between a used Model S or a newer Y. There's something intriguing and classic with the S. In any event, it's a 2017 Model S 100D with aftermarket 20" Avant Grande rims on newer tires. Under general warranty through 9/2022 and battery/drive train through 9/2025. It has MCU1, but w/EAP on. It also has FSD tied to the VIN. 45k miles white on cream leather. No premium upgrades but has power lift gate. Final negotiated price is $63k. The seller bought it from Tesla as a CPO, so I would be the third owner. Pull the trigger? Or, wait for the Y.

Personally to me, that seems high. But not crazy high.... It really depends on what is important to you.

No PUP means no cornering lights, i think no air suspension (but not sure), and a few other small things.
Does it have the premium audio?
free unlimited supercharging?

Have you seen the car in-person and checked for defects?

Generally, I would say $63k is about $5k too high for this model and trim with the info your provided, but again, it all matters on the details.

I am debating between a used Model S or a newer Y. There's something intriguing and classic with the S. In any event, it's a 2017 Model S 100D with aftermarket 20" Avant Grande rims on newer tires. Under general warranty through 9/2022 and battery/drive train through 9/2025. It has MCU1, but w/EAP on. It also has FSD tied to the VIN. 45k miles white on cream leather. No premium upgrades but has power lift gate. Final negotiated price is $63k. The seller bought it from Tesla as a CPO, so I would be the third owner. Pull the trigger? Or, wait for the Y.
I would wait. 2017 is old tech at this point. And all used cars are overpriced.

Go with a new MY IMO.

Go with Y. Newer tech, better updates, wireless ph charging, better visibility, one pedal driving, way better sound system, cavern space. Full warranty and battery to 2030.
Not sure wireless phone charging (which is available on the S as well) and one pedal driving (i dont even use that on my Y, i have it set to roll) are reasons to go with a Y over an S.

Not sure wireless phone charging (which is available on the S as well) and one pedal driving (i dont even use that on my Y, i have it set to roll) are reasons to go with a Y over an S.
All depends on what your looking for. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Didn’t mention auto reclining rear seats, auto fold down, heated wipers, dual pane glass…havnt even talked about structural cast or 4680 nor range. The range on both would be somewhat identical with the S likely degraded after 5 yrs.

The vertical screen is also MCU1 so he’d have to upgrade this at additional cost to bring it to maybe 70% of current UI speed.

If it’s comfort one wants, pano roof, and less regard for rear passengers and high knees, then go for the S. But warranty will be an issue and the motors are 5 yrs old. I’m a former S owner since 2016 so know all about it. Non hi def stereo is also wanting.

Wife and I was looking to add to our fleet between a older model S and a new model 3/Y and just like it's already mention, the 3/Y is such a newer car over the old S. Now, don't get me wrong I love the ole vintage S models myself but I think a new Y will age so much better. I have a 2020 MY with the ghost upgrade. It's an amazing driving machine. Between my wife's Model X and our Model Y, I'm all over driving the Y. The batteries will charge much quicker. The Screen is MUCH more responsive. Similar room inside but the Model Y is much easier to get into. Can't go wrong with any Tesla but the newer you can afford, the happier I feel you will be.

Wife and I was looking to add to our fleet between a older model S and a new model 3/Y and just like it's already mention, the 3/Y is such a newer car over the old S. Now, don't get me wrong I love the ole vintage S models myself but I think a new Y will age so much better. I have a 2020 MY with the ghost upgrade. It's an amazing driving machine. Between my wife's Model X and our Model Y, I'm all over driving the Y. The batteries will charge much quicker. The Screen is MUCH more responsive. Similar room inside but the Model Y is much easier to get into. Can't go wrong with any Tesla but the newer you can afford, the happier I feel you will be.

Ghost ?

Reactions: David29

Reactions: Darmie