Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price comparison for moving a Tesla about 1000 miles :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Just about complete moving almost 1000 miles for a new job... had to haul the Tesla behind a U-Haul to get to the new location and then drive it back to deal with final details of moving out of old location. Just in fuel it was brutal, but not as bad as I was thinking it would be...

To drive the Tesla and change along the way on superchargers it costs about $10 ($10.34 to be exact) for every 100 miles traveled, this is driving at 10 over the limit and with good summer weather, and took 6 charging stops not including charging at home at the end of the trip.

To drive a fully loaded 26 foot U-Haul with a car trailer loaded with the Tesla Model Y Performance traveling at the speed limit cost about $51 ($50.82 to be exact) per 100 miles of travel. This is brutal, but only 5 times the cost of driving the Tesla... I was thinking that it would be more. That beast was averaging 6.75 mpg, and it broke my heart when I had to fill it up. Also, for the same trip I only had to make two stops instead of 6, not including filling the tank the next morning before I turned in the truck at the U-Haul drop off location.

<Wild speculation alert!>

Looking at the results for other manufacturers Truck EV's, I am thinking that a Tesla version of a U-Haul with a huge battery pack (200+ kWh), fully loaded and pulling a car hauler and traveling the speed limit would need to stop every 100 miles to charge (this is going from near zero to near 100% each charge to make 100 miles) and cost $250 to cover the same distance. The problem is, the Supercharger network isn't spaced 100 miles apart in many areas.

</Wild speculation alert!>

Later,

Keith