Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price comparison of Tesla Solar Panels to others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have data on how much tesla charges for their solar panels? I love the blacked out look of their traditional panels over some of the other manufactures. I was looking at some mission solar panels that are USA made and they are around .71 cents per kW. I’m starting preliminary research on installing some traditional panels but I’m trying to estimate ROI before I spend the money.

They call them theirs. The Buffalo plant (Gigafactory 2) is where Tesla and Panasonic partnered to produce the panels.

As a CA resident I've gotten bids from many installers and Tesla always ends up cheaper. They also end up being the biggest headache to deal with but could be worth the few thousand dollar savings that comes with that.

Panels are roughly 30% of the cost. Between your stated $0.71-$1.00 is a good benchmark. Having run thru the ROI numbers. They pretty line up to national standards. Time of use rates tend to push towards the shorter ROI especially if the TOU rates are like 4:1 peak:eek:ff-peak. My advice is to not get hung up on ROI because its in years. If you model with tiered rates, the best ROI is a really small system, but saves the least amount of money over a 25 year warrantied life of the system.

Calculate Your Solar Panel Payback Period | EnergySage

How the heck do you get Tesla Energy/Tesla Solar to contact you? I've filled out the forms numerous times over the past few months and no one ever calls or emails. I wanted to see how Tesla compares to the LG LG365Q1C-A5 panels that a local installer proposes I get.

I went through this several months ago when we were considering adding solar/PW to our house. I filled out the online forms multiple times - with no response.

The best strategy to get a response is probably to call Tesla and select the energy/solar group on the phone. When I did that, things moved quickly and we had a team out to the house to make an assessment.

It's possible that through the various rounds of layoffs, whoever was monitoring the website inquiries is now gone - and they haven't backfilled to have someone monitor the online information requests.

Once I get Tesla on the phone, they were very responsive on phone and via e-mail as we went through the evaluation process.

I highly recommend making an account and using energy sage. It will give you multiple quotes from local installers. Compare that with tesla and costco Sunrun panels.

Briefly, we bought a model 3 (love it) wanted solar panels to go along with it (live in new jersey). Got multiple quotes. Tesla and Sunrun were $3.70/kwh - $20,000 for 5.4 KW system. A local company called solar energy world installed our panels for $2.5/kwh - 13,500 for the same 5.4 KW system. It turns out they used better panels, in terms of efficiency.

PS you can also compare different panels on energy sage.

I am in the medical field. So, I chose the installer because they were significantly cheaper with better panels. I might've missed something. Also, the quotes are very different in different states. I recommend doing some shopping around - you will save thousands of dollars!!

Getting panels installed tomorrow. Got quotes from Tesla, Sunrun and Solar Symphony (a medium sized company a friend used several years ago and was very happy). Tesla by far gave me the most run around (calls and messages not returned, missed evaluation appointment, etc). Sunrun was by far the most expensive and they basically sent a saleswoman to my house who had little technical knowledge, but tried to spend an hour trying to convince me as to why paying over $13k would be better for me. Solar Symphony gave the best quote, with least hassle, for bigger system than other two. They also have the longest warranty. So it was a no brainer.