Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Difference between Roadster Sport 2.0 and 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would expect it to be lower than $29,000. There's no reason to pay full price for an upgraded car when you can buy a car and upgrade it yourself.

Sure there is. Tesla isn't exactly churning out the 3.0 upgrades, so if someone needed or wanted the range of the 3.0 now, that buyer might be inclined to pay full price. People often pay a premium for hard to get items. I can't imagine the 3.0 upgrade depreciating much right now either.

But yes, in time, I certainly agree with you. The price difference should be lower than $29,000.

I would expect it to be lower than $29,000. There's no reason to pay full price for an upgraded car when you can buy a car and upgrade it yourself.
I agree with shrink that the price difference will decrease over time, but there is a reason in addition to the rarity to pay more than full price for an upgraded car as well: your time it takes to upgrade the car.

I don't think there's enough of a market (yet) to determine what the price premium would be on a 3.0.

I agree with shrink...for $29K, you can get in line at Tesla, and get your 3.0 in 6 months...maybe. Or you could "buy mine today for $35K."

Is it worth a multi-thousand-dollar premium for getting something "right now" compared to getting in line with the rest of us peons? That's between the buyer and the seller.

But, it's certainly no unheard of. I mean, the freakin' PT Cruiser sold for up to $2K over list when it first came out, just because it was "cool, new, and hard-to-find".