Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

price drop $3000 vs 2 years of subscription of premium connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Flyguy3 - how did you contact Tesla? The most difficult part of this is that it is next to impossible to reach anyone over the phone. Do you have an email for them that they respond to? I was able to chat with someone online, who was not helpful, but said I should call the Fremont Delivery Center where I picked up my car and gave me the number. No one answers at the number, forcing one to leave a message. I doubt they will return my call.

I emailed our service center in Littleton, and also received a text from our delivery person in Las Vegas. The email I used is: [email protected]

So I suspect given the history that Tesla won't do anything for anyone who already got the MY. I've had mine now for 4 weeks- all 400 miles of it. So I don't know if the opening message for this post was really that they felt they deserved it- or if they thought it would be a nice marketing gesture? I mean I would say the thing that is a little different now is that I took my MY (and totally comfortable with the cost) during a time that I can't really drive it to vacation, etc because of the pandemic. So it sits a lot more than it would have- but I believe in an all electric vehicle and I'm an environment guy and that I really wanted a Model Y so I got it.

And again- I don't mean this as a complaint- But when I ordered the MY I wanted the 19" wheels- then I got the "free upgrade" to the 20" wheels- which I didn't want.. I really wanted the 19", so that cost me money because my discounted price prior to the "free upgrade" had to be removed because I had to change my order- to get the wheels I originally wanted. OK- first world problem. Also, no 1000 miles of free supercharging because you couldn't use a referral code... OK- that's a bummer but ok. Then Covid so now you can't drive it very much, but ok... it happens. Now $3k cheaper because I didn't wait to order. Look it is what it is and I'm still happy with my MY- wouldn't trade it in at all. I've paid to have it supercharged twice and love it. But I would say, it would be a really really nice gesture to just give everyone that bought a MY one more year of premium connectivity for a total of 2. I mean it used to be part of the cost of the car- its way cheaper than the $3k the price went down... and it would just be nice- and a lot of new Tesla owners (like me) would be like- wow, that's really nice.

I get it though- it's not going to happen. I get why and I'm not expecting it nor am I upset... I'm not. I love my MY. But like the Hamilton song says... "it would be nice, it would be nice... "

@Y_NOT - I finally got through to a human being at Tesla (no small feat), and they told me the same thing. The Tesla agent was courteous and friendly, but said there is no policy on giving refunds to anyone who has already taken delivery of their car, including people still in their 7-day window. I could return the car for a full refund, but then I wouldn't be able to order another one with the same base configuration (e.g. AWD, Long Range). That might be just for one year, but it is still not something I'm going to do for the potential $2,000 savings.

@Y_NOT - I finally got through to a human being at Tesla (no small feat), and they told me the same thing. The Tesla agent was courteous and friendly, but said there is no policy on giving refunds to anyone who has already taken delivery of their car, including people still in their 7-day window. I could return the car for a full refund, but then I wouldn't be able to order another one with the same base configuration (e.g. AWD, Long Range). That might be just for one year, but it is still not something I'm going to do for the potential $2,000 savings.

Hey it was worth a shot :) Still love my MY it is a great vehicle as a daily

I understand both sides of the argument in this 3K price drop, but as a first time Tesla owner who is going to have his MY (took delivery on 6/30) serviced tomorrow to repair all the assembly defects, it does feel like I'm paying $3K out of pocket to do the repairs.

My only thing is Tesla knows that it was churning out MYs with questionable quality, then did a price drop right after Q2 deliveries just felt like a slap on the face for new Tesla owners like me (who is not exactly familiar with how Tesla culture works).

Don't get me wrong. I love the MY and it drives great, but this whole process does give me second thoughts on recommending the MY or getting another Tesla vehicle.

I had the car for 9 days before price change. I would personally be fine if it was over a month until price change. So a 30 days price guarantee. But then again, it doesnt have to be that drastic, it can go one of three ways:

1. Straight up 30 day price guarantee. If price dips, refund
2. Justification as to why refund doesnt make sense (as they have with previous price drops on M3) where they dropped the features, or changed something, so that the amount extra you paid is worth something. You actually paid for something.
3. Credits, this can be supercharger, premium connectivity, store credit (not to full amount but lets say 30 to 50% of the drop). Or combination thereof.

In this case its the 4th approach, the most bridge burning one for their customer base. Just tell them to F themselves. And dont forget here. They are refusing to adjust it for those that took delivery period. Even if you are within return window. They are saying, return the car and then order new one for less (in hopes of discouraging people from doing that because its a bit of a hassle). Basically they are only doing what they are obligated to by law/contracts. There is zero olive branch here, zero attempts to make it right. They are totally in their right to do this. But as a customer I feel burned. And let me make it clear. Im not burned by the price decrease. Thats fine and inevitable. I am burned by their refusal to make me, early adopter feel ok about it. Its a straight up "we got your money, now go take a hike" approach. It stings.

I imagine this is all entirely predicated on the mentality that there will not have a shortage of customers, so losing a few hundred maybe thousand (basically everyone that was part of quarter end push) is fine, because there is a line out the door. As a customer, that stings.
agreed. It would be different if they didn't make Q2 sales. But they did (and then some) and we helped. So where is the loyalty to the customer. AND its not like it was a super smooth rollout with the early MYs either. So I feel we are putting up with a LOT to support the mission. Certainly a token would go a long way to curb some bitterness.

I was scheduled to pick up my car July 14 a white performance got a call from Tesla on the 10th to see if I wanna do do my delivery earlier and pick it up on the 11th I said OK pick up my car and the next day the price went down. called Tesla and my only option is to return the car.
Btw I originally ordered the car in December long range RWD changed it in late May to performance so I could get the car as quickly as possible and Across The $10,000 which I was fine with but this extra thousand dollars bugs me.