Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Drop: Impact on existing order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an order in for June delivery. Overnight, the price of my configuration in the design studio went down by $3,500. The price spec in My Tesla is unchanged, however. I'm wondering what the odds are that I'll be able to pay the reduced price for the car. Some specifics:

• 90D
  • Glass roof (which now appears to be standard, but was a ($1,500 option when I ordered)
  • Single charger (though it appears dual chargers may now be standard)
  • Order Info: I ordered in late March and opted for a June delivery (not first available). Order was confirmed weeks ago.
  • Status: Assigned VIN, but car has not yet entered production.
Ideally, I'd like Tesla to just knock the $3,500 off the car since I could order that same (not yet built) car today for the lower price. Worst case, if I were to cancel my order (and lose the $2,500 deposit), it seems to me that I could order the exact same configuration, which would also be available for June delivery, and still end up $1,000 ahead. For both the $ and PITA factors, I hope that's not the best option.

I've reached out to my OA, so I'll update here with any options they give me. Any predictions?

My prediction is they will tell you one of these:

1. Your car is too close to production and to do what you desire will cost you $2500
2. Your car is a ways off and therefore you can make a change order for $500

Based on the number of requests they are going to get from people in your situation, they likely have a response ready and set in stone. Same thing happened when people wanted to upgrade to 100D from 90D. Some people had to pay the $2500. I got lucky and paid the $500.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I'm in your same boat. Ordered a 60, now a 75 is the same exact price (with same options). I ordered 7 days ago, order was confirmed today. I've also reached out to my OA.

My prediction: Tesla is going to tell us to suck rocks and deal with it.

Well the unlock Is down to 2000, guess nobody was doing it.
I'm still on the fence about that one,
when I'm in the supercharger world,
60KW is enough to get me to the next one
(with possible exception in winter)
I like the fast charge to 60 as well...
May do it if I sell...

OK. How about THIS scenario: the car I ordered but have not received is a 48 amp charger with a price of $116,550. That same car is now available for $115,550 with a 72 amp charger. Should I be able to get the lower price without changing anything about the car? I would still take the 48 amp charger so it imposes no work on Tesla's part, just give me the lower price?

Good news (so far): Spoke with my OA who advises me that they've been given guidance that the lower prices will be applied to existing orders (note that I didn't request to change configuration at all, and car hasn't entered production, so YMMV). OA said to expect to see the lower base price of the 90D as well as the glass roof being standard applied to the spec in My Tesla in the next few days. Of course, won't consider official until I see it there- but so far I'm encouraged that the guidance hasn't involved sucking rocks or pounding sand :)

Well the unlock Is down to 2000, guess nobody was doing it.
I'm still on the fence about that one,
when I'm in the supercharger world,
60KW is enough to get me to the next one
(with possible exception in winter)
I like the fast charge to 60 as well...
May do it if I sell...
2k is still too much...if poeple will just not do it it will go down even more but alas too many think its a bargain and are doing the upgrade at 2k..not me....$500 i can see..

I'm still waiting to hear back from my DS about upgrading my post-confirmation / pre-production 60 to a 75 at no cost (or $500 change order) as my confirmation date was Monday (date of new 75 pricing). Has anyone that is in my same boat heard anything? Sitting on pins and needles over here waiting to find something out.

I am taking delivery on Thursday of my S60. They did the upgrade to the 75 included in my current pricing.

Hi bigdaddyo811 - just to clarify: so your S 60, that you paid on your previous price, got software upgraded to 75 before delivery in the same price package you'd paid before? I'm kind of in the same bandwagon at this point, but only taking delivery in late May/June, and evaluating what to do.

Thanks!

Hugo