Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like some kind of thank you is in order for helping Q2 results by taking delivery of a Y at what is now a $3K premium. At least some free supercharging and/or free premium connectivity? It's only been 4 months since Y deliveries began, less the month of COVID shutdown, which probably means Tesla knew this price drop was coming a while ago. Come on, throw us a bone.
I am surprised no one started a change.org petition :)

• Funny
Reactions: mazers and Klau2
As I have said before:

I personally thank those who have ordered and taken delivery of your Tesla before price reductions were implemented. You have helped Tesla through another quarter on their way to profitability and sustainability for cleaner automotive travel.

Reactions: outdoors
at 11AM EST go to this website and click on the chat icon.

Tesla Delivery Day
Thanks a lot. Tesla chat just told me they will adjust it for me and I should see it updated within 48 hours. So happy I don't need to cancel.

For anyone else wondering - I ordered a LR AWD blue exterior, white interior, geminis, no FSD back in February. I finally was assigned a VIN about a day before the price reduction. I submitted payment and everything before knowing about the reduction, contacted Tesla through chat and I'm now getting the car for $3000 less. I would say anyone who has not taken delivery should be able to do the same. I had sent a few emails over the weekend and got no response, so definitely try the chat.

Why do you have to cancel and reorder? I simply went in this morning, 'Edited' my design and saved it with the same configuration and now I have the new price.
I've had all the paperwork done for weeks and no longer had an edit option. So if I was going to change it, and time waiting has not connection to when you get your car, I figured I might as well get the referral bonus.

Reactions: Electroman
I've had all the paperwork done for weeks and no longer had an edit option. So if I was going to change it, and time waiting has not connection to when you get your car, I figured I might as well get the referral bonus.

I'd do this too except black is now more expensive than when I first reserved, so the price difference would negate the 1000 free miles quickly

This is ridiculous, with all the early manufacturing issues and price drop after 3 weeks of delivery, I will never, never, nerved to buy any Tesla new models in the first year in the future!!!

yes, no manufacturers will give you refund after price drop, but also there are no other manufacturers drop MSRP only after 3 months of the release.
I'm sure you'd be fine if they increased the price.

Reactions: outdoors
Agree, and it would only make sense for Tesla to honor price adjustments occurring within the 7 day return period if a customer asks. Otherwise, they may end up having to take the car back and resell it at a lower price anyway. Tesla may not want to put a "price adjustment" policy in writing because 1) they don't want to give the impression that price adjustments are common 2) they want to make it seem like more of a goodwill, aren't we so nice gesture and 3) some customers may not be aware of the price reduction or won’t think about trying to get a refund if it's not in writing.
Except that customer would have to wait a year to order another. I'd be fine with that policy being enforced.

Did a chat online with Tesla as well as called the SC I took delivery from. Both stated the same thing. Only way to get 3k refund would be to return the vehicle since Im still within the 7 day window, and re-order 1 year from now/a different trim level. Not worth the hassle to save 3k really.

I delayed delivery in June after receiving a VIN assignment (which was subsequently removed when I delayed). I did an “edit” to my February 2020 order and it now it reflects the July 2020 $3k price drop. I did not purchase FSD, so no impact there.

I feel bad for those who took delivery a few days (or weeks) before the drop. Similar to the quality issues some (not all) have experienced, it sucks if you are personally impacted and can understand your frustration with those who aren’t impacted (like me) to seemingly brush it off.

Called my local SC center in Springfield, NJ about the new price. The said they cannot immediately do it over the phone and they have to have a "hard yes" via email.

The email came and I quickly responded yes. My account updated within 2 hours of the new price.

Hope this helps!

Did a chat online with Tesla as well as called the SC I took delivery from. Both stated the same thing. Only way to get 3k refund would be to return the vehicle since Im still within the 7 day window, and re-order 1 year from now/a different trim level. Not worth the hassle to save 3k really.
Wow, I’m legit surprised that they aren’t honoring this for those within the return policy.

I’d personally still try to find a way around it, to get the refund $ from them and maybe cost them some additional $ by having to resell my return. Maybe I’d have SO purchase the new one ;)

Reactions: Reborn
I was told the same thing by my sales advisor and the delivery center. I’m not going to go to crazy for the 1,000. bucks but would’ve like have gotten it.

I called sales to confirm my delivery date and have the price reduction requested, they implied it would change automatically over the weekend, but it didn't so I had to make sure they requested it manually, will see on my manage page tomorrow.

While I can empathize with the frustration and I would no doubt be pissed if I took delivery in the last few weeks...this is really an extremely common practice in the auto industry. Tesla just doesn't hide it.

Anytime there's an exciting new model launched, the first adopters ALWAYS pay the most. It's generally because of a lack of discounting, and in some cases even significant dealer markup. At Tesla, there are no discounts on price, and no dealer markup. All price adjustments due to supply/demand are reflected in an ever-changing msrp.

As I've mentioned before...I ordered a Range Rover Velar on launch day. When I took delivery I paid sticker price. No negotiation, no incentives, no lease deals, no nothing. It was a brand new model and I received one of the first in the country. At the time I didn't know what the demand curve would be like and I really wanted it so I went for it. A few months later it was obvious they had no backlog and dealer lots had a bunch of them. A friend went and test drove one and they were offering significant discounts (more than $3k off).

As supply/demand change, Land Rover (and every other auto automaker) discounts the price at the time of sale via dealer incentives, etc. Tesla just adjusts the msrp accordingly. Regardless, early adopters ALWAYS pay the most. If you think everyone is paying the same price for other non-Tesla cars simply because their msrp doesn't change, you're very wrong.

Last edited:
This also recalls another time when I rented an apartment years ago. I was offered a certain rate, accepted, and signed the documents online. When I went in on move-in day to fill out the final paperwork and get keys, I overheard the sales team offering huge incentives to people touring the property. I hadn't even finished filling out my paperwork and had not moved in, so I asked if if could get the same incentive (was like 6 weeks free or something) and they said no. I wrote corporate and said I was shocked that I hadn't even received keys or finished my paperwork and the the team was offering this incentive to everyone around me but would not honor it for me. They came back and said too bad, you agreed to the price you got.

It's how business works. Sometimes you'll find a customer-service focused business that puts the customer's happiness above all else...but that's increasingly rare.

Looks like price just dropped $3k on LRAWD?

Fun when your brand new car suddenly becomes 5% less valuable ;)

It's not a big deal. If you haven't taken delivery, Tesla is easily granting a $3K credit. I was pleased to see this. I have a MY LR that I am taking delivery on July 22. I went into my Tesla account and hit them up on the chat function. Within 5 minutes, they said my $3K credit would apply in the next 24 hours. Easy! Others that have said they called are getting the same response. There was no push back or nonsense. They simply don't want to deal with a ton of returns. I kind of saved $4K, because I ordered June 26, before the FSD went up my $1K.

It's not a big deal. If you haven't taken delivery, Tesla is easily granting a $3K credit. I was pleased to see this. I have a MY LR that I am taking delivery on July 22. I went into my Tesla account and hit them up on the chat function. Within 5 minutes, they said my $3K credit would apply in the next 24 hours. Easy! Others that have said they called are getting the same response. There was no push back or nonsense. They simply don't want to deal with a ton of returns. I kind of saved $4K, because I ordered June 26, before the FSD went up my $1K.
You haven’t taken delivery yet, so that comment doesn’t apply to you! Tesla isn’t even refunding people the difference who are in the 7-day return period.

Reactions: Zer0t