Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I can empathize with the frustration and I would no doubt be pissed if I took delivery in the last few weeks...this is really an extremely common practice in the auto industry. Tesla just doesn't hide it.

At Tesla, there are no discounts on price, and no dealer markup. All price adjustments due to supply/demand are reflected in an ever-changing msrp..

I agree that price adjustments are common in the auto industry but would argue that Tesla actually "hides" it more by adjusting MSRPs instead of showing price reductions via rebates.

Also, there are indeed discounts at Tesla on new and demo inventory cars as well as special offers that come and go especially at month or quarter end periods..

Unbelievable...ordered our MY in February, which was after the $1000 price increase. Finally took delivery on July 2nd. My 7-day return period just ended three days ago and the Tesla decides to drop the price $3000 right afterwards. Feels like a $4000 slap in the face. SMH
Ouch man! Id buy you a beer or two, but bars are closed again around here.
I picked mines up Thursday, then Elon dropped prices the next day. No wonder my SA told me Thursday was the last day they could hold the VIN for me.
Screw it, I'm returning it

Reactions: raggedy and Jtrizzo
I agree that price adjustments are common in the auto industry but would argue that Tesla actually "hides" it more by adjusting MSRPs instead of showing price reductions via rebates.

Also, there are indeed discounts at Tesla on new and demo inventory cars as well as special offers that come and go especially at month or quarter end periods..

True, but not nearly to the extent of most automakers. It’s definitely a perception thing, and I think Tesla’s method leaves more buyers upset even though it’s any less fair.

I am scheduled to take delivery of my Model Y LR AWD FSD on Friday. I looked at my order screen yesterday (still an item or two to finish before delivery), and the price was still at the original point. I called up my delivery team yesterday afternoon, and they said "of course we will update the price." They did, and the $2k reduction appeared this morning.

I am happy because I got the price reduction, but what would have happened had I not asked? Would they have charged me the extra $2k? Hmmmmm....

We reserved back on launch day and had the FSD for $6K and a slightly cheaper base/tire price locked in - we were told by both chat and the GA sales manager that in this case the $3k savings on the base price would increase overall cost by $490 because all component prices would increase to current rates. Anybody in a similar situation that was still able to take advantage of the price decrease?

Reactions: mazers
I emailed my SA and they said I’d have to edit my design (No VIN’s and both MY’s are LR AWD, No FSD). I have everything submitted so the Edit Design link is gone, of course.

I hit up Tesla Chat and within about 5 min they made the price change for me, haha!! So interesting how you get wildly different answers to the same question, haha!!

Oh well. I’m just happy to save the $6,000!!

Reactions: KRG21
I made a request to add the Tow Hitch when the price drop happened 2 weeks ago, and today we finally got an updated order agreement which increased by $990 as we previously had $52,000 AWD and $6k FSD; and now $49,990 AWD, $8k FSD and $1k hitch (which would have been $1200 service afterwards).

We couldn't do this online as we ordered Seven Seat Interior, which still shows up as $3k after the update.