Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Drops: Do you think Tesla should offer FSD for Q4 2022 buyers?

Do you think Tesla should offer FSD for Q4 2022 buyers?

• Yes

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Depends (please explain)

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm kind of torn on this. On the one hand, price changes are common whether it be through MSRP adjustments, rebate adjustments or whatever and a manufacturer or retailer should be under no obligation (unless they have some sort of price guarantee) to "compensate" past buyers for future price reductions or "sales." Setting that kind of expectation can be problematic for manufacturers/retailers down the road.

On the other hand, these types of major price reductions will make some people hesitant to buy in the future so offering some sort of "compensation" in these situations can ease concerns related to potential future price cuts and make current buyers feel better about their recent (pre-price cut) purchase. Also, Tesla has compensated buyers in the past for pricing changes. Back in 2018 when they made the "Performance Upgrade Package" on the M3 standard (it had been a $5k option), Tesla gave a $5k refund to early buyers who had paid for the package. If they did something similar now, it wouldn't be the first time.

I think some sort of "compensation" (like free FSD) might be ok here but, again, I'm torn.

Just signed the petition. As someone who took delivery on Nov 28, I missed out on everything. That said, I love the car and paid what I thought it was worth when I ordered so I’m happy. Still, given the hard sell Tesla was giving for people to take delivery in Q4 and the fact it doesn’t cost them much to give people a free trial or FSD (and may even encourage people to subscribe), I’m in favor of it.

Reactions: Eden77 and WyoDude
This poll is based on the recent petition to get Tesla to offer FSD at no additional cost to people who purchased a Tesla in Q4 2022 before the significant price drops. Please feel to offer any insight, opinions, speculation, etc.

Why not give them a uni-cycle instead?
Both are impractical and unreliable methods of transportation. One of the two will encourage physical excercise!

1674416898246.png

The petition is for a 1 year FSD subscription, not FSD outright.
“Dear tesla,

I’m so sad that you dropped the price more than 2400$, I nicely demand you give me subscription FSD for 1yr. Obviously I require this to be free because I bought a car before you dropped the price on said car.”

Yep, still looks as ludicrous as it sounded.

“Dear tesla,

I’m so sad that you dropped the price more than 2400$, I nicely demand you give me subscription FSD for 1yr. Obviously I require this to be free because I bought a car before you dropped the price on said car.”

I don't necessarily agree with the petition (as I posted above, I am torn on this). I was just pointing out that the petition is suggesting a 1 year FSD subscription (worth around $1,200 to $2,400 retail depending on whether car has AP or EAP) and not FSD outright as some may think.

It's not like Tesla hasn't compensated previous buyers even more in the past as I explained in my other post regarding the $5k Performance Upgrade Package cash refund. A free 1 year FSD subscription is practically nothing compared to the $5k cash back Tesla offered buyers in 2018.

It's not like Tesla hasn't compensated previous buyers even more in the past as I explained in my other post regarding the $5k Performance Upgrade Package cash refund.

That specifically included the person requesting the refund basically "returning" Unlimited free supercharging, so it was not just "here is 5k".

“Dear tesla,

A bit over simplified without weighing the impact, second and third order effects of Tesla’s decision and factors leading up to it. Tesla likely won’t do this anyway, and those who purchased just before the price drops will obviously have no choice but to accept it. Nevertheless, it’s an interesting proposition, hence the discussion. For the record, I’m not on my knees begging Tesla for free FSD if that’s how you’re interpreting the OP.

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
That specifically included the person requesting the refund basically "returning" Unlimited free supercharging, so it was not just "here is 5k".

Yes, the offer was a $5k refund or (keeping) free unlimited supercharging. Just as Tesla responded to upset customers in 2018 with that offer, they could similarly respond to upset customers today with an offer. Again, it wouldn't be the first time but I'm still torn as to whether they should do anything.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
A bit over simplified without weighing the impact, second and third order effects of Tesla’s decision and factors leading up to it. Tesla likely won’t do this anyway, and those who purchased just before the price drops will obviously have no choice but to accept it. Nevertheless, it’s an interesting proposition, hence the discussion. For the record, I’m not on my knees begging Tesla for free FSD if that’s how you’re interpreting the OP.

I dont see people who purchased "in the last month or two" leading up to the price drop as being in any way, shape or form different from people who purchased "in the last 4 months leading up to the price change".

This is like buying a house, then 2 months later seeing your new neighbor sell their house (same floorplan) for less than what you paid, then going back to the person you bought yours from and asking for a refund of the difference between what they paid and what you paid, or saying "Since I paid more, I demand that you pay for my landscaping for a year".

People are going to ask for the moon because thats human nature, but if the above doesnt sound like "oh yeah thats totally reasonable" there isnt any reason that "I want XXX because the price dropped after I bought it" should sound reasonable to anyone either. Its not going to stop people from sharpening pitchforks though, because people can make anything sound reasonable in their own heads, when it comes to their own situations.