Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price gouging continues on the 3. Can't say I'm surprised.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you and that poster actually agree and something may just have gotten lost in Internet translation. Seems like the point was that APPL charges whatever they want for the phones despite the fact they are fairly cheap to make because people will still buy them.

Perhaps, and good point. :)

I wasn't whining about Apple however.

Tesla being EPS negative NEEDS to make money where it can - no one can dispute this.

At the end of the day, I feel we get so much more from the money we put into the Model 3 than $400 into Apple for 10 more dollars worth of DRAM.

Value isn't about what you pay really - but what you get.

If Demand outstrips Supply, it would be irresponsible for Tesla to not aim for higher margins.

At the respective price points, we are still getting the best car dollar for dollar anywhere so no room for complaints.

Tesla met the price point for 35k mass produced electric vehicle, done. It's a good looking car. Considering the costs of the vehicle and how much Tesla still wants to accomplish, they don't want to sell many vehicles that cost 35k. Hence, everything is an upgrade. But, I mean, you still get a pretty good car for 35k. And if you're lucky and get the 7500 tax rebate for one of the initial rollouts, we're talking 28k for a barebones, brand new Tesla.
I can see the OPs points about the "Longer Range" being too expensive ( or EAP being too expensive, IMHO). But, hey, Tesla prices what the market bears. Good luck to the OP.

Not to mention the cost of designing and creating. Too many go by simply the Cost of Goods and forget the money that created the design must be recovered. And if no money is available for research & design, then what you see is the last thing that will ever be developed.

Tesla isn't gouging anyone.

Sounds like someone actually had a mid level or higher job somewhere and can see these things..

As a loose example:

Iphone 64GB - Cost 300 to make. Sells for 400.

Iphone 128GB - Cost 305 to make. Sells for 500.

Iphone 128 is what actually advances the company while Iphone 64 keeps the lights on.

As a classic S60 owner I can't help but laugh at people complaining about 220 miles range for $35k.

Do people not realize EM's goal was to make this car as affordable as possible while keeping the company viable? Do people not realize the capital-raising gymnastics he went through to get the car out this quickly? Do people not realize that the money Tesla makes on Model 3 will go on to help fund future vehicles?

Funny how everyone is alllll about the vision until they have a write a check, then it's a whole lot of sour grapes because they just can't possibly figure out how to survive with a 220 mile-range vehicle (that most people will never need to supercharge).

Numerous issues with the prices on the 3.

Between the 2 batteries, it looks like around a 20 Kw difference. And with Teslas' battery cost below $150, I will be generous and say $150 per Kw. That's $3000 more in costs for the big battery. They are charging $9000. That is SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS PROFIT on the battery alone.

I would be ok with the big battery costing $4K to $5K. But $9K? Just say no.

Then the wheels. The FUGLY Aero wheels are free. The decent looking 5 or 10 spoke wheels, depending on how you count them, are $1,500. Should be $500 tops. Somehow I was thinking the Aero wheels would be the pricey option, I may have been wrong.

One good thing, although it wasn't specifically made clear - in the press packets, in the $5000 premium upgrades, it listed the glass roof. No mention of a sunroof or metal roof, but I presume not getting the $5000 premium pack means you get a metal roof? More clarification needed on that.

And what is up with the chargers? 32 amps for the small battery and 40 for the big one? Why not just bolt in the 48 amp Model S charger and give everyone faster charging? Why slow down the charging so much? 48 amps is slow enough already!!!
Do you not want Tesla to make a profit which will then turn into more R&D which will lead to MUCH better and cheaper cars for YOU in a few years time?

For Tesla, money now is better than money later - they can use it to improve their products, increase production and lower prices in the long term.

Tesla is putting your money to good use:D

As a classic S60 owner I can't help but laugh at people complaining about 220 miles range for $35k.

Do people not realize EM's goal was to make this car as affordable as possible while keeping the company viable? Do people not realize the capital-raising gymnastics he went through to get the car out this quickly? Do people not realize that the money Tesla makes on Model 3 will go on to help fund future vehicles?

Funny how everyone is alllll about the vision until they have a write a check, then it's a whole lot of sour grapes because they just can't possibly figure out how to survive with a 220 mile-range vehicle (that most people will never need to supercharge).

I thank you for making my Model X possible.

New definition for
perspective: something many M3 whiners don't have.

I'm okay with all the prices. Tesla isn't ripping you on PUP this time, it actually includes something.

But my main concern is the cost of Autopilot. $5000 is kind of high. I know that Tesla is the only person with usable Autopilot, but still, that's expensive for a $35,000 car. I was thinking at most $4000 for EAP and $2000 for FSD.

Or maybe Tesla could split the difference and charge $4000 for EAP and $4000 for FSD.

This is really throwing my plans off :(

Numerous issues with the prices on the 3.

Between the 2 batteries, it looks like around a 20 Kw difference. And with Teslas' battery cost below $150, I will be generous and say $150 per Kw. That's $3000 more in costs for the big battery. They are charging $9000. That is SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS PROFIT on the battery alone.

I would be ok with the big battery costing $4K to $5K. But $9K? Just say no.

Then the wheels. The FUGLY Aero wheels are free. The decent looking 5 or 10 spoke wheels, depending on how you count them, are $1,500. Should be $500 tops. Somehow I was thinking the Aero wheels would be the pricey option, I may have been wrong.

Let me know when you are ready to put your house up for sale. I'm confident that you will refuse to accept market price that is tens of thousands more than you paid. :)

The three big disappointments I had where the following. Number 1 the glass roof is part of a 5,000 dollar package instead of a standalone option as in the S. Tesla should have offered at least white and black paint as standard. it's next to impossible to keep a black car clean or cool in the summer. Last would be the price they charge for Autopilot and full autonomous mode. Most of the RnD has already been done in the S and X. Tesla is already including all of the hardware, so they are charging for pure software. They are charging the same amount as the S and X. A much more reasonable price to ask would have been 3,000 for autopilot and 2,000 dollars for full autopilot. Im sure it will drop overtime or even as a discounted paid upgrade.

They are charging the same amount as the S and X. A much more reasonable price to ask would have been 3,000 for autopilot and 2,000 dollars for full autopilot. Im sure it will drop overtime or even as a discounted paid upgrade.
Seems fair to charge the same for same parts and capability. Not smart to drop the price lacking competitive pressure.

Last edited:
This isn't any different than other manufacturers. if they had of instead had a base and GT version(long range pack with higher performance as a helpful side effect) they would have been similar to the Ford Mustang line up

same arguments. it's priced ~$10k more than the ecoboost base engine. the incremental cost is <$1k but Ford has priced it to compete with similar competitors. people still buy it. (Ludicrous = Shelby)

This is the same, Model 3 base competes with the other 200mile EVs in the mid 30's
Model 3 "GT" competes with the other 300mile EVs. oh wait, it just has to compete with the Model

Reactions: Pkmmte
I'm okay with all the prices. Tesla isn't ripping you on PUP this time, it actually includes something.

But my main concern is the cost of Autopilot. $5000 is kind of high. I know that Tesla is the only person with usable Autopilot, but still, that's expensive for a $35,000 car. I was thinking at most $4000 for EAP and $2000 for FSD.

Or maybe Tesla could split the difference and charge $4000 for EAP and $4000 for FSD.

If a difference of $1000 is really throwing your plans off, perhaps you should reconsider your car plans anyway.

If anyone has been paying the tiniest bit of attention to Wall Street, a cloud hanging over Tesla is if the 3 is going to actually make any money and if Tesla is going to lose money on every 3. Tesla will then collapse as it will never make a profit given its immense valuation.

So, you penny pinchers want everything now and don't care if Tesla will be around to provide your future vehicles?

Tesla has has obligation to set their price to demand. If that price cannot support the company - no more Tesla.

Lack of perspective is disgusting.

Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "Kw".
And what is up with the chargers? 32 amps for the small battery and 40 for the big one? Why not just bolt in the 48 amp Model S charger and give everyone faster charging? Why slow down the charging so much? 48 amps is slow enough already!!!
Almost all public and workplace J1772 charging infrastructure is only 30 amps, so a 40 or 48 amp OBC won't help on those.

How is 48 amps "slow enough already"?

All or virtually all non-Tesla powered EVs/PHEVs shipping in the US max out at 32 amps or less over L2. There vast majority max out at under 30 amps. Heck, almost all PHEVs max out at 16 amps or less.

My Leaf only has a 6.6 kW OBC (6.6 kW max out of the wall at 240 volts). On my work L2 EVSEs, since the supply voltage is only 208 volts, tends to pull about 5.9 to 6.2 kW at max. I have no problem with this. Even though I don't charge at home on work days, I'm done w/my charging in under 1.25 hours or less. That's w/my car set to charge only to 80% (we only have 80% and 100% choices) and is MORE than enough for me to go home and return to work the next day with PLENTY to spare, even if I were to drive it like I stole it both ways.

Last edited:

The high price of options has to do with the fact that Tesla really wants to be selling a $45K car, but for marketing purposes they had to be able to say that the car was $35K. So they set it up so that virtually every customer will want at least one of the expensive option packages (interior, AP, or bigger battery). These packages (especially AP, which is just a software upgrade that activates hardware already in the car), are where the sales margin is. They need for virtually every sale to include one or more packages.

Reactions: neroden