Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price gouging continues on the 3. Can't say I'm surprised.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also look at iTunes. ITune wants $9.99 a month in the US for unlimited music. It's only $1.50 a month in China. They charge want the people are willing to pay.

People are going to buy the $1,500 wheels and pay the $9k for bigger battery. People will vote with their money. Don't like then cancle your pre-order.

Same with people here paying $9/month to stream music on iTunes. The price would drop to $2 if no one subs.

I don't mind the price ($1500) for the 19's, except for the fact that the 18's are butt-ugly. And those are the size that I wanted. (Sure, the 19's are "look" cooler, but I was planning on the more comfortable ride and less expensive replacements of the 18's....but not with that look.)

I would not be surprised if there are more 18" and 19" wheel options later in the year and aftermarket wheels are not too expensive if you really don't like the look.

Reactions: neroden
Also look at iTunes. ITune wants $9.99 a month in the US for unlimited music. It's only $1.50 a month in China. They charge want the people are willing to pay.
I'm sure it's also related to income levels and licensing costs for the US vs. China.

I last went to China in 08 and it was 2 RMB to take the subway in Beijing. At the time, that was about $0.33 USD. In Shanghai, I recall it was 3 to 9 RMB, but usually on the lower side. 3 RMB is about $0.50 USD.

Buses in Beijing were 1 RMB for one w/no AC and 2 RMB for one with.

Good luck getting on any US public transportation at that kind of price for a regular adult fare.

Numerous issues with the prices on the 3.

Between the 2 batteries, it looks like around a 20 Kw difference. And with Teslas' battery cost below $150, I will be generous and say $150 per Kw. That's $3000 more in costs for the big battery. They are charging $9000. That is SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS PROFIT on the battery alone.

I would be ok with the big battery costing $4K to $5K. But $9K? Just say no.

Then the wheels. The FUGLY Aero wheels are free. The decent looking 5 or 10 spoke wheels, depending on how you count them, are $1,500. Should be $500 tops. Somehow I was thinking the Aero wheels would be the pricey option, I may have been wrong.

One good thing, although it wasn't specifically made clear - in the press packets, in the $5000 premium upgrades, it listed the glass roof. No mention of a sunroof or metal roof, but I presume not getting the $5000 premium pack means you get a metal roof? More clarification needed on that.

And what is up with the chargers? 32 amps for the small battery and 40 for the big one? Why not just bolt in the 48 amp Model S charger and give everyone faster charging? Why slow down the charging so much? 48 amps is slow enough already!!!

I saw the aero wheels in person up close last night and they looked better than I expected.

Tesla met the price point for 35k mass produced electric vehicle, done. It's a good looking car. Considering the costs of the vehicle and how much Tesla still wants to accomplish, they don't want to sell many vehicles that cost 35k. Hence, everything is an upgrade. But, I mean, you still get a pretty good car for 35k. And if you're lucky and get the 7500 tax rebate for one of the initial rollouts, we're talking 28k for a barebones, brand new Tesla.
I can see the OPs points about the "Longer Range" being too expensive ( or EAP being too expensive, IMHO). But, hey, Tesla prices what the market bears. Good luck to the OP.
My Leaf only has a 6.6 kW OBC
6.6??? My 2011 leaf has 3.3

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Back in Feb. Electrek article "Tesla is now claiming 35% battery cost reduction at ‘Gigafactory 1’ – hinting at breakthrough cost below $125/kWh" . Assuming this is accurate and the "Long Range Model" has 20kW more than base, that's $2500 more manufacturing cost for the batteries, plus some increase in battery case/battery mgmt. system.
So is an estimated 300% mark-up excessive for a mass market car option?
If you're only looking at the material & labor costs, probably. But if you're looking at the cost of developing that product, nope.

Model S owners complaining the Long range Model 3 might be too cheap compared to the 100D.

I am trying to argue with them but they might have a point. AWD is only a 5k option.

I think it's the other way around. The upgrade on the S from the 75D to 100D is $23,000. Yet the Model 3 is $9K for the larger battery.

There might be more KW in the 75->100 jump than the standard to the long range, but it's not $14,000 worth.

I'm sure it's also related to income levels and licensing costs for the US vs. China.

I last went to China in 08 and it was 2 RMB to take the subway in Beijing. At the time, that was about $0.33 USD. In Shanghai, I recall it was 3 to 9 RMB, but usually on the lower side. 3 RMB is about $0.50 USD.

Buses in Beijing were 1 RMB for one w/no AC and 2 RMB for one with.

Good luck getting on any US public transportation at that kind of price for a regular adult fare.

Little bit off topic, but yeah they're lower because of cost of living and no one pays for music or movies so that's why iTunes are cheap. The point is iTunes could have charged more if people was welling to pay. Income is actually pretty high for working classes (and farmers that had their land taken away by the gov). Many are instant millionaires but they still wouldn't pay $2 for iTunes -)

Back in Feb. Electrek article "Tesla is now claiming 35% battery cost reduction at ‘Gigafactory 1’ – hinting at breakthrough cost below $125/kWh" . Assuming this is accurate and the "Long Range Model" has 20kW more than base, that's $2500 more manufacturing cost for the batteries, plus some increase in battery case/battery mgmt. system.
So is an estimated 300% mark-up excessive for a mass market car option?

The Wall street thesis is Tesla is going to shut its doors because it doesn't make money with S, doesn't make money with the X, and will lose money on every 3 it sells.

With that kind of headwind, Tesla has every right and obligation to charge what the market can bear can until they turn profitable.

Tesla has a negative EPS of 1.33.

They have a long way to go before they are gouging anyone.

Reactions: techmaven
I know a guy with a S40. Likes it fine. There are several hundred around.

Yah.... My point wasn't that the 40 was a bad car; but that they never really released it and instead claimed (based on the demand for the bigger models, which were actually being delivered) that the 40 wasn't actually necessary. By doing this, Tesla avoided selling more than a tiny number of cars at the long-advertised "base" price (which clearly had a bad negative margin profitwise).