Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price hike

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at pricing from when I bought our M3 LR March 2021, £/$ was 1.37, today its 1.23, so almost all of that price rise can be put down to the £ tanking and perhaps the loss of the PICG. To buy our LR with the same spec is nearly £10k more today. I don't think we could justify that if we were buying it now. The SR is now the same base price as the LR was March 2021
I’m in the exact same position (March 2021 M3 LR) . I’d be buying the SR+ if I placed an order today or perhaps not even a Tesla.

There will be loads of people priced out of a Tesla now with these price rises.

Shame really.

Reactions: Burley
Read about more price rises yesterday on Electrek - but logging into the UK site I saw the old prices yesterday.
Today though:
£48,490, £57,490, £61,490
Am pretty sure it was £45,990 £55k and £60k before.
Model Y prices I think are up £2000. Are now. £57,990 and £67,990.
It's really sad prices are being raised due to demand, and almost to match the rising 2nd hand prices!!!

That's what I read, but it seems to hit the UK a day late. So if you're umming and r'ring about buying - and hear a story about a US price hike - get in quick in the UK to lock in the price before it changes the day after! I've seen it hit the UK a day late each time. Almost like the UK team aren't aware of a directive from Elon.

Reactions: sc20 and KennethS
Hope it rises even more, sad to say but there are far too many Tesla's on the road nowadays, with everybody thinking they can lease one.
I suspect small business owners getting them tax-free is making them "too affordable". To a lesser extent, employees on salary sacrifice schemes.

Definitely feels like you're being ripped off when paying for a Tesla with post-tax income.

Price rises are interesting. Can see quite a few people losing a fortune a few years down the line when the market gets even more flooded with them. I see Tesla's everywhere now, even if it's just popping to the local ASDA 10 minutes away.

Unfortunately the days of them being a more of a rarity and worth paying the extra premium for are already gone.

Reactions: googlepeakoil
All a matter of opinion really what else is there other than a taycan or an etron gt and those cars have faults trust me my dads owned both.

I have a Model Y which i will be selling imminently i have gone back to a model 3 performance due September luckily at the older price. Model Ys are fetching good money white with white interior upgraded wheels still a great car looked at the others and at 40k more they simply arnt worth the difference in cost over tesla.

That's what I read, but it seems to hit the UK a day late. So if you're umming and r'ring about buying - and hear a story about a US price hike - get in quick in the UK to lock in the price before it changes the day after! I've seen it hit the UK a day late each time. Almost like the UK team aren't aware of a directive from Elon.
There have been lots of price rises in the US and the UK before that were not so closely linked so its not a given but if you were on the fence yesterday was definitely a good time to get off it. I had a feeling it might be the case this time that the UK would follow suit. I think the reason was because the rise was across the board on pretty much all models and variants not targeted which made me think it may not be related to local market conditions in the US but a broader policy.

Price rises are interesting. Can see quite a few people losing a fortune a few years down the line when the market gets even more flooded with them. I see Tesla's everywhere now, even if it's just popping to the local ASDA 10 minutes away.

Unfortunately the days of them being a more of a rarity and worth paying the extra premium for are already gone.
extra premium over what?
If you match Specs Teslas are often better value than the competition.
the MY would still be the best value in this comparison even after the price rises

Can see quite a few people losing a fortune a few years down the line when the market gets even more flooded with them

I don't see how that is going to work. The only 2nd hand Model-Y's (for a given age / mileage) in a few years time will be the ones that were bought new "now". The market for 2nd hand will me much bigger than the market for new (and the availability of cars) is / was now.

So likely that plenty of 2nd buyers will stretch to buy then, as some/plenty? of new owners have done now.

Increasing pressure on Fossils (fuel price, or fuel / road / CO2 tax etc.) will increase desire for EV

That will cause 2nd hand Fossil price to plummet - no doubt some will buy Fossils because it they will have become affordable - particularly the low mileage driver. But for others just seeing the price falling will make them want to bale out before it gets even lower.

I can't see anyone buying a new EV now losing out.

I sold my 2015 Model-S in 2019 at 95K miles for 50% trade in. The replacement car I got was 20% cheaper and battery range went 20% further ... I was well happy with that and it was a few years ago, before these giddy 2nd prices.

Reactions: Jason71
I don't see how that is going to work. The only 2nd hand Model-Y's (for a given age / mileage) in a few years time will be the ones that were bought new "now". The market for 2nd hand will me much bigger than the market for new (and the availability of cars) is / was now.

So likely that plenty of 2nd buyers will stretch to buy then, as some/plenty? of new owners have done now.

Increasing pressure on Fossils (fuel price, or fuel / road / CO2 tax etc.) will increase desire for EV

That will cause 2nd hand Fossil price to plummet - no doubt some will buy Fossils because it they will have become affordable - particularly the low mileage driver. But for others just seeing the price falling will make them want to bale out before it gets even lower.

I can't see anyone buying a new EV now losing out.

I sold my 2015 Model-S in 2019 at 95K miles for 50% trade in. The replacement car I got was 20% cheaper and battery range went 20% further ... I was well happy with that and it was a few years ago, before these giddy 2nd prices.
agreed.
I look at it this way. only about 15% of new cars are EV's.
in 3 years time will more or less than 15% of people looking for a 3 year old car want an EV?
if 15% of new car buyers want one now I am betting more than. In which case demand will outstrip supply.
Its anyone buying an ICE particularly a Diesel who will be in trouble

Reactions: WannabeOwner
All my Eco decisions, outrageously expensive at the time, have come good. My mates hate me 'coz every time they dine out on my expenditure, they then wind up with humble pie for desert!

Spent a fortune (2007-ish) on a biomass boiler (not something Mr Corgi could install, so was all "speciality stuff"). Coupled it with Accumulator, Solar Thermal. and lots of complicated / expensive plumbing. (Oil boiler was knackered, so I had to spend SOME money). Price of oil shot up ... I now pay 7x less for my logs than oil would cost me :)

Bought Model-S in 2015 after being shafted by VW on DieselGate. My mates thought I was nuts spending 4x as much on a car as the BlueMotion Golf it replaced. They went a bit green when I took them for a ride (I got the Performance model you see ...). Dunno if that was envy-green though. Got the full grant back then of course, and started taking advantage of 100% FYA, lower BIK, and got the grant for the wall-charger back then too ... and the cheap per-mile cost. I was doing 35K miles a year and saving £4,000 p.a. on fuel ... free supercharging too (I've had over 4,000 kWh in that time).

"But I do like the driver aids in my BMW / Porsche is a proper drivers car" etc etc etc

I did 95K miles over 3 years and sold it for 50% trade in. My BMW / Merc Mates didn't think that was Cricket ...

"You paid HOW much for those PowerWalls?" ...

2022 Electricity prices rise ... "Decided to follow your example and get a PowerWall, but its 12 months delivery ..." Bad luck mate!!

2022 "You bought a Model-Y to replace your Model-3 - they are like £10K more than the M3. How much did you get for trade in." "HOW MUCH!!" 😭

So long as you don't tell my mates that I had no idea any of this was going to happen then I'll carry on letting them believe I have crystals balls :)

Despite price rises they are still cheaper than they are in the US, which never happens. You have to add VAT to US list prices, adjust for FX rate and there is 10% import tax but easy way if just to just visualise a £ sign instead of $. MIC models still get hit by the import tarrif.