Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price hikes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't seen this discussed but just noticed that the accessory hitch is now $200 and the 72A charger is $1500. Added to the 6-seat and 7-seat premiums, I'm starting to get annoyed. I don't like feeling pressured to confirm my order just to lock in today's pricing for a car (90D) when I have no idea when it will be produced/delivered.

add that to the leak about the warranty terms... Seems obvious that tesla will eventually change the terms and not provide any notice.

This does not give me a warm feeling about future dealings with TM.

Not sure why you are surprised about the existence of inflation. A gallon of milk will also go up in price. It's a fact of life. Waiting has its costs. On the flip side, your X (should you still buy it) will be higher quality than the beta testers who got it early. Everything is a tradeoff when you live on the bleeding edge.

That said, my X got really expensive really fast, even before the price increases. The bleeding edge ain't cheap.

The price changes (or what you get for the price) can go both ways. Don't forget that with the Model S there have been a number of changes that gave you more stuff for the same money as well (parking sensors, parcel shelf, autopilot hardware, etc.) If you wait long enough to confirm you may get some extra stuff for "free."

As I recall, the price of Model S actually went up the very next year, and has continued to increase, although you now get more things that the first cars did not have like folding mirrors etc. I confirmed my order without thinking twice. I have had nearly 4 years to think about what I want, and seeing the car in person was not necessary. I have seen the car, but more than 2 months after confirming my order. I went with 6 seats, because 5 just is not enough. The 72A charger is something most people will not need, so it is a good opportunity to save some money if you need to.

This is pretty standard proceedure for Tesla and other manufacturers. The price you get when you lock in your configuration is the price you will pay on delivery. At any time a price increase may be implemented, and orders taken after that time will pay the new price. Not unusual for other vehicle manufacturers to raise prices, for essentially the same car, mid way in their production cycle. Happens all the time.

In addition, often new features can be added or subtracted from their current offering. Sometimes this changes the price and other times the price will remain the same.

Kind of like the price of gas at your favorite station. Sometimes it will be more in the afternoon than in the morning. You can't go in the afternoon and get the morning price.

Accessory hitch price is higher, but it's now supposed to be a real 2 inches, ready to tow if required (only missing electric plug).

So yes price higher, but also more value than before when you select it (it's optional)

The tow package includes more than the "electric plug".

It not only includes wiring for installation of a trailer brake controller, but also software code enabling the car to counteract trailer sway.

You can always wait. The price might go up further or go down in the future but most likely it will go up. Price is always decided on the market force. Tesla, or for that matter any car company, only set a price when it is certain that there are enough people who are willing to pay that price.

On Model S dual charger used to cost $2,000, so this is cheaper.

The Model S dual charger is still available for $2K
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/2nd-onboard-charger

twin-charger.PNG

On Model S dual charger used to cost $2,000, so this is cheaper.
The dual charger option for the S is $2000 to double the charging speed from 29 mph to 58 mph. On the X, it is $1500 for only a 50% increase from 25 mph to 37.5 mph. While it may be cheaper for the X, the dual charger option for the S is a much better deal. For the S, it is about $69 per mph increase whereas it costs $120 per mph increase for the X.