Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Increase! Base Y price up $2,000 to $56,990...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't help but think all these price increases are temporary, just like the "market adjustment" tactics many dealers have today. I don't blame Tesla, because of the current demand situation, if buyers will pay, why not.

Agreed, but "temporary" could be like 1-2 years or possibly longer.

If, or when, Tesla starts reducing the price on their cars again, it's really going to depend on a few things like customer/market demand, parts availability from their suppliers, and the ability to pump out a lot of cars in a short amount of time (from the new Gigafactories) and eventually having more supply than a demand for their cars.

Agreed, but "temporary" could be like 1-2 years or possibly longer.

If, or when, Tesla starts reducing the price on their cars again, it's really going to depend on a few things like customer/market demand, parts availability from their suppliers, and the ability to pump out a lot of cars in a short amount of time (from the new Gigafactories) and eventually having more supply than a demand for their cars.
Tesla will start reducing prices when it will get serious competition. So far there is none. At least from my point of view. Major factor for me was charging network and years of research spent on batteries and motors. Ford may be an old company but they are new to EV. Let's see if Honda and Toyota jump into the game and how fast.
We'll see when Elon opens superchargers for other manufacturers what would be the story.

2020 was a good year. Arm twisted to get new car (old car = 30+yr antique). My next car WAS going to be ELECTRIC.

The My was the only one with (almost) the space I needed. 49,990 and FSD before the price hike. A financially painful purchase but no regrets.

I do recognize the MYs continue to improve but I am still happy I got mine.

I got my standard range model Y in March of this year right around the time it was pulled from the website. Called in and asked about availability and decided I'm done waiting. Let's pull the trigger on it. I was already close to pulling the trigger on it when it was at $41,990 and then the $2k drop to $39,990 was enough to seal the deal. I opted for the gray color with white interior and gemini wheels (which I hate) but I wanted aftermarket black wheels anyway so I thought I'd keep the $2k cost for the 20 inch black wheels and spend that towards aftermarket wheels n tires and I'll still have my geminis as a spare. I went with some 22 inch wheels n tires for just over $2500 which made much more sense. I don't care about range since I charge for free at work and surprisingly, it still rides very comfortable and smooth. Powdercoating the brake calipers are next and I'll be done with it.

Attachments

• 20211026_144948.jpg
    20211026_144948.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 20211026_161712.jpg
    20211026_161712.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 79
I got my standard range model Y in March of this year right around the time it was pulled from the website. Called in and asked about availability and decided I'm done waiting. Let's pull the trigger on it. I was already close to pulling the trigger on it when it was at $41,990 and then the $2k drop to $39,990 was enough to seal the deal. I opted for the gray color with white interior and gemini wheels (which I hate) but I wanted aftermarket black wheels anyway so I thought I'd keep the $2k cost for the 20 inch black wheels and spend that towards aftermarket wheels n tires and I'll still have my geminis as a spare. I went with some 22 inch wheels n tires for just over $2500 which made much more sense. I don't care about range since I charge for free at work and surprisingly, it still rides very comfortable and smooth. Powdercoating the brake calipers are next and I'll be done with it.
That was good timing. I just now needed a new daily so not the best time for me, oh well. The gray looks good, I was back and forth between gray and white and now I can't change it but I like both. I agree the gemini wheels are hideous but nothing some Rays can't fix.

I paid $49,900 (base MSRP) for my 2020 LR AWD, ordered it on June 29th and took delivery on July 28th. Once I sorted out all of the initial QC issues I had (my service center was fabulous) I have now driven mine for over 12K TROUBLE FREE miles. True I don't have all the latest features but a least mine is paid for and looks and drives brand new. I'm retired and I'd be hard pressed to buy a new LR AWD Y today.

It may also be simple math. Due to long lead times deliveries are going to be well into next year for many, and even into 2023 for S $ X buyers. Tesla must predict what their costs will be for deliveries far into the future. Inflation seems to be increasing the costs of goods sold for everybody, so Tesla needs to price their cars for when they will be delivered.

They can use these high demand times to raise additional funds to finance more battery and vehicle production facilities all around the world.

Makes sense that they would be motivated to increase the prices of their cars for future deliveries.

Same thing when buying an RV. Right now the demand is through the roof, with $Billions of Dollars in back orders. Dealers will not even quote a price at delivery, but take your non refundable deposit and let you know that if prices go up before delivery, you will need to pay any additional factory price increases prior to taking delivery. Of course nobody likes this, but it is what happens in inflationary times.

Wow $66,990 for a fully loaded Y performance or the long range with the extra seats. $60,990 for the loaded 3. Performance models haven’t gone up so drastically but damn!

I can’t believe the Y is so much more than the 3.