Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Increase! Base Y price up $2,000 to $56,990...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, this pushed me to finally continue the process with my April order for the MY LR ($50,990 base price). I've been waiting to see how the tax credit situation shakes out but with current price being $6k higher than my locked in price, I don't want to risk having my order cancelled by Tesla. Looks like delivery will definitely happen sometime in 2022. Hopefully the EV tax credits get passed into law for 2022 making my deal that much sweeter!

Could you imagine being one of the 1000 or so lucky people who ordered a Model Y SR on the 3-5 days when it was available for $40k.

I managed to snag mine for $50k (actually $53k due to tow hitch and red) and feel pretty lucky right now. Maybe once Tera Texas comes online this will slow down.

Is that all that managed to get in at that price? I guess I was one of the lucky few, MY SR 39,990 base! Then added the 7 seat option and induction wheels so 44,990 total. Incredible value! Should have bought two …

Pushed me out of the market for one unfortunately

Me too I think. I was going to order a red MY LR in January, now I'm not sure I will. The price hikes have the frugal side of me squirming as my old Crosstrek is paid for and I just can't justify paying that much money for a car, it's just too much for me to be happy with. I think.

I really wanted a MY too, damn. Maybe prices will fall in a few years...

Reactions: gtae07
I was lucky enough to catch that one time dip in March and bought my LR AWD for $48,900. But I remember at the time many were thinking it was a bad time to buy because we’d miss out on the ’inevitable” tax credit that could be passed soon. I guess sometimes it’s best to not overthink it.

Me too I think. I was going to order a red MY LR in January, now I'm not sure I will. The price hikes have the frugal side of me squirming as my old Crosstrek is paid for and I just can't justify paying that much money for a car, it's just too much for me to be happy with. I think.

It's about Total Cost of Ownership... where the largest hit is depreciation. If you somehow got a 3/Y today and sold in late 2022 your depreciation would be minimal. The problem is uncertainty of prices in the long term.

My insurance is doubling when I get the Y that's a big hit to me.

It surely doesn't cost Elon an extra $5k for the bolt-on trinkets the MYP has over the LR. Clearly a ploy to steer more people toward the MYP which is a lot more profitable for him even at only a $5k difference now.

At the rate the prices are going, the LR will cost more than the MYP in a few months as it is apparently far more popular.
Hard to find anything for purchase that doesn't offer some form of tiering / differentiation. The higher up in the lineup you go, the more profitable it is for the manufacturer. You're selling a premium experience / exclusivity, A "ploy" would be something cunning or tricky, this is basic marketing and business practice.

It’s crazy. When I ordered mine in July, I paid 54,990 for MYLR with tow hitch, standard white exterior, Gemini wheels and white interior. Needed to keep the price below 55K to qualify for 2K NJ rebate. I wouldnt buy it now. It’s a full 7K more expensive considering the rebate.

Bought late Jan 2021. Only car I ever owned that went up in value. Not the quick 20%+ hit when you drive out of the dealers lot. I like this feeling. Luck more than brains. My old lease was up.
Well we're in weird times. Pretty much any new car you buy is going up in value because theres not enough inventory to keep up with demand. I saw some dealership trying to sell a Mach E Performance Edition for $100k a month or so ago.

My insurance is doubling when I get the Y that's a big hit to me.

Yeah my insurance would more than double going from my current 2015 Crosstrek to a new MY. Total cost of ownership with the recent price hikes has simply made owning a Tesla not financially prudent to me now, sadly.

I'll have to be content owning shares instead! :D

Yeah, if I didn't have my order from April on hold at the locked in price, I would pretty much feel the same way as you. I will say that prices are almost certainly going to come down in the 2-3 year timeframe. Austin and Berlin will be cranking cars out at full capacity greatly increasing supply and Tesla margins will also increase with added efficiencies from their new manufacturing approaches. Hopefully pandemic related supply chain issues will be resolved by then as well. There is also going to generally be more options for consumers in the EV space (a good thing imo). 4680 cells had better be viable by then or Tesla will be in some trouble. Put all of that together and I think it is very probable that prices will come down in the 2-3 year timeframe.

I was lucky enough to catch that one time dip in March and bought my LR AWD for $48,900. But I remember at the time many were thinking it was a bad time to buy because we’d miss out on the ’inevitable” tax credit that could be passed soon. I guess sometimes it’s best to not overthink it.
Exactly, but even if that tax bill will go through for $7500. I am better off by at least $8,480, $8k in price increase and $480 in not paying MD taxes on that increase 👍

Yeah, if I didn't have my order from April on hold at the locked in price, I would pretty much feel the same way as you. I will say that prices are almost certainly going to come down in the 2-3 year timeframe. Austin and Berlin will be cranking cars out at full capacity greatly increasing supply and Tesla margins will also increase with added efficiencies from their new manufacturing approaches. Hopefully pandemic related supply chain issues will be resolved by then as well. There is also going to generally be more options for consumers in the EV space (a good thing imo). 4680 cells had better be viable by then or Tesla will be in some trouble. Put all of that together and I think it is very probable that prices will come down in the 2-3 year timeframe.
A year ago I would have thought the way you did. The wildcard here is inflation. Even with increased efficiencies, material costs have sky rocketed. Add in additional demand for material to make batteries and it gets worse. Factor our inept economic policies in the US and inflation alone could be the biggest driver in costs. We may look back 2 years from now and think a 56k MY was an amazing deal, never mind if you got in on the under 50k dip.

[Correction] The base price of the Long Range Model Y did change from $54,990 to $56,990 US. For soonest delivery (May '22) configure the optional 20" Induction wheels ($2000 additional, $58,990 total). You can change the configuration to include the 19" Gemini wheels, save $2000, for a purchase price of $56,990 but you will have to wait until August '22 (instead of May '22) for delivery.

Plot twist; if you order either the white interior option ($1000) or the 7 seat variation ($3000) you can configure the Long Range Model Y with the 19" Gemini wheels for May '22 delivery. Maybe this is the reason that Tesla sells booze (Tequila).

Last edited: