Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price increase due to GBP vs US$

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not bet on a continuing slide. Trump is known to want to weaken the dollar to improve the US's balance of trade (it seems he's finally been given a Macro-Economics 101 class) and the Fed has signaled interest rate cuts this month.

Meanwhile the BOE is under pressure from the MPC to raise rates and a weaker pound will only fuel that. If the Fed drop rates and the BOE raises them, I would expect the exchange rate to return to the 1.30's before the end of the month regardless of Brexit.

Be interesting to see if that comes to pass ... each time it looks "on the cards" some other catastrophe intervenes.

Must admit I hadn't expected to enjoy "cheap money" for quite this length of time -10+ years :)

Indeed. I had a mortgage in the UK until last year when I paid it off. When I first moved to the US, the exchange rate was $1.96/GBP and now it's $1.25 or so. As soon as the Brexit vote crashed sterling, I started paying huge chunks of my mortgage off using dollars.

I would not bet on a continuing slide. Trump is known to want to weaken the dollar to improve the US's balance of trade (it seems he's finally been given a Macro-Economics 101 class) and the Fed has signaled interest rate cuts this month.

Meanwhile the BOE is under pressure from the MPC to raise rates and a weaker pound will only fuel that. If the Fed drop rates and the BOE raises them, I would expect the exchange rate to return to the 1.30's before the end of the month regardless of Brexit.

Richard Branson doesn't seem to agree with your "regardless of Brexit" part. I suppose to some extent it depends whether or not we leave the EU with a deal. Hopefully we will and it there will be a collective sigh of relief and the pound might even recover - at least in the short term response. But it's all crystal ball gazing. Nobody really knows what will happen until it does.