Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Increase on a 7-seat Model Y 2019 Reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made a 7-seat Tesla Model Y reservation in 2019 when it was announced at $55,190. Although the Tesla showroom guy told me not to make any changes to the reservation, I called Tesla Customer Care to explore the possibility of adding a Tow Hitch.

The Tesla Customer Care representative assured me that the price of other components of the car in the Reservation wouldn't increase when I add a Tow Hitch, the overall price of car has gone up $2,000 for adding a $1,000 tow hitch. Now she says that the price increase is obvious and that she can't do anything.

All other Tesla Customer Care representatives as well as their supervisors now say that they can't don't anything as the reservation has already changed and that I have to pay the new price even if I remove the Tow Hitch like there is no Undo feature in their ordering software.

Has anyone faced this problem when preparing a pre-order reservation for delivery?

Tesla_Model_Y_Price_Jacking-up.png

My buddy tried to do the same, adjust the interior to white and the SA specifically warned him he will be taking the new increase car price hit regardless of when he made the reservation. So sounds like the SA did not inform you correctly.

tow hitch add is like 1200 installed after the fact @ Tesla... I would just add after delivery.
Equip your Model Y with a high-strength steel tow bar and 2” hitch receiver capable of towing up to 3,500 pounds on all wheel configurations.

Includes:

• 1x high-strength steel tow bar with 2" hitch receiver and North America 7-pin standard connector

• 1x trailer harness

• 1x tow mode software package

Ball mounts are not included and are dependent on the type of trailer you are towing.

Price includes shipping and installation and ships to your preferred Service Center. For additional questions, visit Tesla Shop FAQ.

Did you have the SA’s advice in writing? If yes, you might be able to appeal?
That's the mistake I did. She rushed me into sending their confirmation in-writing that I didn't get her word in writing. I trusted Tesla not to be a sleazy cars selling company. If they want, all those calls are recorded and that they themselves say so at the beginning of call.

tow hitch add is like 1200 installed after the fact @ Tesla... I would just add after delivery.
Equip your Model Y with a high-strength steel tow bar and 2” hitch receiver capable of towing up to 3,500 pounds on all wheel configurations.

Includes:

• 1x high-strength steel tow bar with 2" hitch receiver and North America 7-pin standard connector

• 1x trailer harness

• 1x tow mode software package

Ball mounts are not included and are dependent on the type of trailer you are towing.

Price includes shipping and installation and ships to your preferred Service Center. For additional questions, visit Tesla Shop FAQ.
Tesla showroom sales man said the same. I want to avoid another service appointment and tried adding it to the reservation.

Reactions: whisperingshad
My recommendation to you is to call them and insist that you were told out no other price was going to be change, if they keep insisting ask them to go back and listen to the conversation you had, it should be recorded. The reason why I say this was because I switch from model Y LR RWD to LR AWD. I wanted to keep my price below 60k, so I ask them to change from 20" wheel to 19", and also allow them to change the color from black to white (remember at the time I order the car the color black was free). So we agree and move forward, the rep change everything like we talked about but kept my wheel as being a 20". I have to call back a few time, finally the rep that I originally work with call me back and talk to me, I asked for the manager and she said she is the manager. Well we have a 30 min conversation where she insist that she did not agree to change the wheel from 20" to 19", and that if I wanted to do this change I would lose out on my FSD price of ($5000). I finally got fed up and told her it become a war of word and told her to go back and listen to the recording of our conversation. 2 days later my order was hange from 20" to 19" and I will be getting a credit of $5000 for FSD at delivery (5-5-21).

Model Y
$39,990.00
Full Self-Driving Capability
$10,000.00
Long Range All-Wheel Drive
$9,000.00
Seven Seat Interior
$3,000.00
Destination Fee
$1,125.00
Documentation Fee
$75.00
Car Price
$63,190.00

Long story short...they can help you when you get the final Purchase Agreement (MVPA), via a credit, shortly before delivery. The price of the car will remain the same on the site, but if you scream loud enough, they can help you via a credit. I went through a very similar process that was described by 'riceninja' and took delivery a couple weeks ago.

MilSpec: I have a similar problem - how much of a credit did they give you? I specifically told the Tesla guy on Oct 25, 2021 to change color to white/black from red/white and reduce price by $3000. He said sure they will do it. I got email on Oct 27, 2021 showing price increase of $1000 (total $4000 higher than price I paid) and emailed same day saying this is not what I asked for revert it and never got anywhere. I got all emails and the Las Vegas manager offered $500 credit but not anywhere close to the $4000.