Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Increase on the sly

Should Tesla honour the price?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Australia, ordered & paid deposit on a fully optioned model X P90D, then a couple months later they announced the P100D which you could upgrade to from existing orders for $10k US. (Ended up over $20k aus)

So day of announcement I notified Tesla via email wanted to upgrade the battery pack, fine no problem

In the meantime 3 options had increased in price by total $5,000 so Tesla said had to pay that also plus the additional taxes on the $5k. I questioned Tesla as those options were already ordered with the 90. All I was changing was battery package per announcement.

Tesla said new car, new order, new price - suck it up or go back to original P90D order

Good luck getting anything so - suck it up

If, when you were kicking the tires, the sales person told you to order today because there's a price increase coming, would you have believed him or her? Or, would you have brushed it off as a pressure-sales tactic and still waited to order?

If, when you were kicking the tires, the sales person told you to order today because there's a price increase coming, would you have believed him or her? Or, would you have brushed it off as a pressure-sales tactic and still waited to order?
Excellent point! However, Tesla would have been prob one of the few I would have actually believe on this, in this instance and yes I would have placed the order sooner.

In Australia, ordered & paid deposit on a fully optioned model X P90D, then a couple months later they announced the P100D which you could upgrade to from existing orders for $10k US. (Ended up over $20k aus)

So day of announcement I notified Tesla via email wanted to upgrade the battery pack, fine no problem

In the meantime 3 options had increased in price by total $5,000 so Tesla said had to pay that also plus the additional taxes on the $5k. I questioned Tesla as those options were already ordered with the 90. All I was changing was battery package per announcement.

Tesla said new car, new order, new price - suck it up or go back to original P90D order

Good luck getting anything so - suck it up

That sucks!!! Although you had the choice and you could still have your original order at the price you agreed right? it was just if you went for the upgrade they then increase your options values also?

The P100D is £37000 more expensive than the 90D in the UK. Why on earth would I pay that extra for a faster off the line metric?

Have you had delivery yet?

Apparently some people have just had emails from Tesla stores UK prices will be going up another 5% in Jan 2017. So I would suggest the OP get their order in confirmed ASAP. Bear in mind free supercharging is ending and all new cars over £40k in the UK will be hit by a £310 tax for 5 years if registered after April 2017.

Could you elaborate?

People on other forums have reported Tesla have emailed them regarding an impending price increase of 5% for UK cars in Jan 2017.

Before I ordered our X I also use to get similar emails from the Birmingham showroom. Though the absolute change in price was sometimes incorrect, every time I got the email the price did change.

Given the £ is 10-15% weaker against the $ compared to 6 months ago, and there has only been a 3% price increase due to currency changes I would say another price increase for UK cars is inevitable. Its not a question of if, more when and how much by.

That sucks!!! Although you had the choice and you could still have your original order at the price you agreed right? it was just if you went for the upgrade they then increase your options values also?

The P100D is £37000 more expensive than the 90D in the UK. Why on earth would I pay that extra for a faster off the line metric?

Have you had delivery yet?

Not delivered yet, was suppose to be now but been pushed back to end of next quarter. See thread for rhd X

$25k Aussie extra over X P90D order and Yes, said I could stay with the original order at contract price.

My argument was I already ordered the leather interior, 22" wheels & what ever the other option was. I wasn't adding them to the X P100D they were part of my original order. Tesla said tuff, new order, new prices extra $5k for those options so I had to choose between deleting them, going back to the 90 or sucking it up.

For the 100 I could try and justify it by saying In Australia it's nearly 1,000kms from Sydney to Melbourne or from Sydney to Brisbane with very little in place for charging stations (only 2 in whole of Sydney). We go snow skiing a bit and that's 500km trip. Or I am just a rev head and will enjoy smashing exotics including my own AMG in the wife's 7 seater family car

But in reality, who really needs a car worth 10 times a Toyota Camry hybrid

I was at the grocery yesterday and asked how much the oranges were. I would have bought them if the produce manager had informed me there was going to be a price increase. But I didn't know and when I returned to the store, they were more expensive! Not fair!

In all seriousness, I've also seen people complain that they felt it was high pressure tactics to be told there was a price increase coming - they felt that they were being pushed into making a purchase. I can't think of any other industry that would honor old prices when the purchaser hadn't made any type of commitment, other than to inquire about price.

• Funny
Reactions: ModelX and Canuck
Just a heads up, most right-hand drive Tesla will be in very tight supply all the way up to March 31st 2017. As someone already pointed out, UK will require extra registration tax if delivery is taken after March 31st. In addition, another major right-hand drive market, Hong Kong, will require sales/import tax on all EV if taken delivery after March 31st (yes, same deadline). Given the unlimited free supercharging also require cars to be delivered by March 31st. You got a HUGE spike of demand of Tesla all around the world, especially the right-hand drive market, for the next 3 months.

Like someone pointed out, Electrek.co also reported another 5% price increase will happen in the UK market on Jan of 2017. So if you want to order a Tesla, the next few days is the last chance.

Not delivered yet, was suppose to be now but been pushed back to end of next quarter. See thread for rhd X

$25k Aussie extra over X P90D order and Yes, said I could stay with the original order at contract price.

My argument was I already ordered the leather interior, 22" wheels & what ever the other option was. I wasn't adding them to the X P100D they were part of my original order. Tesla said tuff, new order, new prices extra $5k for those options so I had to choose between deleting them, going back to the 90 or sucking it up.

For the 100 I could try and justify it by saying In Australia it's nearly 1,000kms from Sydney to Melbourne or from Sydney to Brisbane with very little in place for charging stations (only 2 in whole of Sydney). We go snow skiing a bit and that's 500km trip. Or I am just a rev head and will enjoy smashing exotics including my own AMG in the wife's 7 seater family car

But in reality, who really needs a car worth 10 times a Toyota Camry hybrid

I think that was unfair on all the options. I don't like the idea of this direct model selling because I despise big companies whom are faceless and unpersoanly and everything is just a policy. Because there is no movement from Tesla on anything you don't feel like you are getting a deal and maybe I'm old fashioned but I like to feel when I spend that I am doing just that, getting a deal.

Any ways I caved and ordered so I'm sat here sucking away lol