Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price increase? [posted 06.16.2022]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then you have to consider acceleration boost is almost 100% profit for $2000 since it's just a programming change and puts it almost identical to the M3P.

If the price difference was $4000-$5000, but then you have more expensive wheels, tires, brakes, other bits, etc. Which one makes more $? Because you lose the $2k of pure profit from AB since you can't add it on the M3P.
I bet the M3P with Acceleration Boost would bring it into Model S Plaid territory, and I assume Tesla won’t cannibalize their Model S Plaid sales - very Porsche-esque

Reactions: RevToRed
Then you have to consider acceleration boost is almost 100% profit for $2000 since it's just a programming change and puts it almost identical to the M3P.

If the price difference was $4000-$5000, but then you have more expensive wheels, tires, brakes, other bits, etc. Which one makes more $? Because you lose the $2k of pure profit from AB since you can't add it on the M3P.
Yes AB on LR is pure profit but that profit is already “built in” to the premium for P pricing. You could think of Performance like “AB+“ if you want.

LR + AB + 19” wheel upgrade = 60990
P = 62990. So $2000 more for 20” vs 19” wheels, bigger brakes, trunk spoiler.

That extra hardware guaranteed doesn’t cost Tesla $2000 so they would still make more profit on a P vs LR+AB.

I would wager that the percentage of LR owners who buys that package is very low. Most people get the LR for the range, many also for AWD, some for the better acceleration, and few want even better acceleration.

Reactions: tm1v2 and E90alex
That tax credit is huge and effectively reduces the purchase price of an EV, which is another selling point for not getting a Tesla

Yeah... not so sure about this.

When the tax credit for Tesla was about to expire, and was cut in half, from $7,500 to $3,750 in 2019, Tesla reduced the price on its Model 3, Model S, and Model X by $2,000.

I believe other manufactures of EV's are playing the same game... THEY take the tax credit by way of increasing MSRP, and shortly after the tax credits expire, they simply drop the prices of their cars a similar amount.

I could be wrong, but.... we'll see.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I would wager that the percentage of LR owners who buys that package is very low. Most people get the LR for the range, many also for AWD, some for the better acceleration, and few want even better acceleration.
Yes and P is much more appealing than LR+AB from a resale perspective so it’s easier for buyers to justify the premium for P vs paying for AB.

P would retain most of that price difference over LR on the used market but AB is likely to be a purely sunken cost since it’s considered more like an accessory and second hand buyers wouldn’t necessarily pay much if any premium for it unless selling to someone that specifically wanted AB.

Reactions: Hiline
Yeah... not so sure about this.

When the tax credit for Tesla was about to expire, and was cut in half, from $7,500 to $3,750 in 2019, Tesla reduced the price on its Model 3, Model S, and Model X by $2,000.

I believe other manufactures of EV's are playing the same game... THEY take the tax credit by way of increasing MSRP, and shortly after the tax credits expire, they simply drop the prices of their cars a similar amount.

I could be wrong, but.... we'll see.
The only way the dealer/manufacturer can take the federal tax credit is if you lease the vehicle, then the dealer/manufacturer retains “ownership” of the car. Otherwise, the consumer is entitled to the tax credit.

I think what’s actually happening is that the MSRP of the car is priced according to how much federal tax credit is available, e.g., the MSRP is increased when the available tax credit is high, then reduced accordingly as the tax credit is phased out, to offset what the buyer can’t recoup

[…] AB is likely to be a purely sunken cost since it’s considered more like an accessory and second hand buyers wouldn’t necessarily pay much if any premium for it unless selling to someone that specifically wanted AB.
Right. Especially if AB can be purchased by the subsequent owner directly from Tesla if the M3LR didn’t already have it.

1.2 seconds seems insignificant on paper but going from 3.1 to 1.9s 0-60 takes an *exponential* increase in power compared to going from 4.3 to 3.1.
Oh....Make no mistake, I get it. You are right. What I'm saying is both cars are in the insanely quick category and seat of the pants feeling, most are hard pressed to walk away from the M3P and say that was unimpressive....unless they're talking about the fit & finish 😂😂😂😂

Reactions: E90alex and phaheem
only issue is that Tesla is now hitting BMW prices (i4 vs. Model 3) and Mercedes prices (EQE vs. Model S) and exceeding Cadillac prices (Lyriq vs. Model Y) ... all 3 brands have pretty darn good customer experience. Definitely no "uber vouchers" until your car is fixed.
Just had my Genesis in the shop. They came and picked it up from my house while dropping off a loaner GV80, texted updates during the day, then drove it back and swapped back out for the loaner

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
By Monday I’ll have about 4200 miles on my M3P in 6 weeks of ownership, with about half being highway trips largely powered by Superchargers. I have also done an Autocross event, and expect to begin doing those somewhat regularly.

Given my use case, and the overall satisfaction I have from the vehicle itself, no way in hell would I consider an I4 M50 for 7-10k more (after the tax rebate) and with an extra 6-9 month delay. The I4 may have a few extra niceties, but I did not appreciate how impressive the Tesla charging network was until I tried and failed on 4 occasions to use other brands’ chargers (I.e all broken, or the one working stall being full despite nobody checking in on PlugShare). Fortunately each case was a “we are going to [venue] so I’ll plug in to this J1772 charger for some extra juice,” so none of the disappointments left me actually searching for power.

Plus, to be frank, I am actually pretty willing to support Elon’s philosophies on EV development and adoption.

Last edited:
Reactions: RevToRed
I bet the M3P with Acceleration Boost would bring it into Model S Plaid territory, and I assume Tesla won’t cannibalize their Model S Plaid sales - very Porsche-esque

That's not how AB works - the limits on the car are at the battery pack and to a lesser extent the rear motor inverter level. M3P comes with the same pack, same car as regular M3, just a slightly stronger set of inverters in the rear motor. It's software is tuned to get the best out of the pack and motor limits.

The AB feature basically gives the regular M3 around 70% of the M3P performance, upping the limits on the battery pack (which is the same), and riding the upper limits of the stock rear motor inverters.

There is nothing from AB to be "added" to the M3P.

That's not how AB works - the limits on the car are at the battery pack and to a lesser extent the rear motor inverter level. M3P comes with the same pack, same car as regular M3, just a slightly stronger set of inverters in the rear motor. It's software is tuned to get the best out of the pack and motor limits.

The AB feature basically gives the regular M3 around 70% of the M3P performance, upping the limits on the battery pack (which is the same), and riding the upper limits of the stock rear motor inverters.

There is nothing from AB to be "added" to the M3P.
Thanks for clarifying. So could Tesla release an acceleration boost for the M3P, or has the maximum power already been squeezed out of it?

Thanks for clarifying. So could Tesla release an acceleration boost for the M3P, or has the maximum power already been squeezed out of it?

As stated - The M3P is already using the higher current limits and everything from AB, plus it can run slightly higher on it's custom rear motor inverters. I am not aware of anything from AB that could be "added" to the M3P. You need to think of AB as "M3P-light using software-only", not "magic software that could make a M3P 30% faster"

Reactions: Sam1 and Lindenwood