Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price increase? [posted 06.16.2022]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how much was the base M3P at the end of 2021, my M3LR was 49,900? It had to be more than 5K difference back then
I purchased a 2021 M3P which I received in December 2021 for $54,890. I received a $5,000 NJ EV rebate on it with no sales tax on EVs to put it under $50K (excluding documentation charges). I bought a 2022 M3P which I received in Feb 2022 for $58,990. No NJ rebate on that one since it was over the $55K limit but it was still sales tax free.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd and T4M3
@Doggiedog must've had an old order to get an M3P for $54,890 in December 2021. I believe @Idkorcare was asking about the order cost at the end of 2021. How much you paid for a car delivered then is mostly meaningless, because the delay between order and delivery can vary widely in some cases.

@Idkorcare When we ordered in October 2021 M3P base price was $57,990 + $1,125 destination + $75 documentation + $250 order fees. It's only gone up in price since then. I know that doesn't answer your question, I'm mentioning it to show that @Doggiedog must have ordered even earlier.

(No way to avoid or reduce any of those fees btw, we should really count them as part of the base price IMO.)

@Doggiedog must've had an old order to get an M3P for $54,890 in December 2021. I believe @Idkorcare was asking about the order cost at the end of 2021. How much you paid for a car delivered then is mostly meaningless, because the delay between order and delivery can vary widely in some cases.

@Idkorcare When we ordered in October 2021 M3P base price was $57,990 + $1,125 destination + $75 documentation + $250 order fees. It's only gone up in price since then. I know that doesn't answer your question, I'm mentioning it to show that @Doggiedog must have ordered even earlier.

(No way to avoid or reduce any of those fees btw, we should really count them as part of the base price IMO.)
Thanks both but yea that sounds more like it, think i would have went for the performance if it was only a $5k diff with what I wanted

Actually, you are right. My bad. I was totally off by a year. I had a 2021 but got it in 12/20. I ordered it in 10/20. 2020 was a year to be forgotten.

Reactions: tm1v2
Were the reliability issues you experienced with BMW primarily related the ICE specific parts (engine, transmission, exhaust etc.) or the whole car?
Threeputts, initially it was mechanical including an engine out reseal/gasket replacement covered by warranty before 100k miles. This was a 2008 E60 550i. The car just couldn’t keep oil in it, whether leaking it or burning it.. A couple of suspension rebuilds and cooling system fixes as well. Nearer the 150k mile mark, the electronics started breaking down, iDrive computer, central locks, seat occupancy sensors, stereo amp. After the steering rack blew its seals and the crank pully started leaking leading to a CEL just before the annual inspection, I threw in the towel. I really wants to keep that car because it was the LCI sport model and thought it looked and drove fantastic, contrary to general opinion.

It’s features vs quality.

Tesla better range, AWD, super charger network,

BMW, better interior. No gaps better quality built. Crap range of get AWD.
In testing, Tesla consistently gets less than their EPA estimates. Edmunds put together a large list of EVs they've tested and compared EPA estimates to actual range.

The Model 3 Performance got 256 miles of range, down 17% from Tesla's claim.

The i4 M50 got 268 miles of range, up 18% from BMW's claim.

Actually, looking at the list, Teslas are the worst cars you can get if you're wanting to actually have the same range as what is advertised. Most other auto makers outperform their estimates.

Tesla is going to be in big trouble as more manufacturers start bringing their EVs online.

In testing, Tesla consistently gets less than their EPA estimates. Edmunds put together a large list of EVs they've tested and compared EPA estimates to actual range.

Actually, looking at the list, Teslas are the worst cars you can get if you're wanting to actually have the same range as what is advertised. Most other auto makers outperform their estimates.

Tesla is going to be in big trouble as more manufacturers start bringing their EVs online.
Good to know.

@Brou That's a bunch of misleading nonsense. The real-world range of a 2021+ M3P is higher than an i4 M50. I've seen multiple review tests show that.

Also that 256 range result is from a 2018 M3P. I think the only drastic efficiency improvement since then is the heat pump, and I'm not sure if cabin heat gets used in EPA testing, but I still wouldn't use 2018 results to judge a new 2022 model! You know Tesla is tweaking these cars all the time. Even the EPA rating is slightly higher for 2021+ M3P than 2018. (But I agree, can't assume EPA rating difference correlates to real-world difference.)

Last but not least, apparently Edmunds admitted to only charging a Model Y to 90% for a range test, while charging all non-Teslas to 100%. I'm not finding a detailed Edmunds article on that 2018 M3P test to say whether they actually charged it to 100%. I believe lately Edmunds has been consistently charging Teslas to 100%, for their most recent range tests, but I don't trust that 2018 Edmunds test, because of how the sandbagged the Model Y in an older test.

All that said...it is very annoying that EPA range estimates can't be trusted as a useful comparison. I agree wholeheartedly that's an issue! I wish the EPA would tighten up their rules to minimize that. But that doesn't change the fact that the M3P is truly more efficient and longer-range than the i4 M50, even if the difference isn't as big as the EPA ratings suggest.

Do you have a Model 3? Are you replacing it with an i4? I'm pretty excited for the i4 to start selling here. From the comparisons I've watched and read (from Europe where the i4 was launched earlier), I think my 2021 M3P is more to my taste (i4 M50 test drive needed to confirm that though!), but I do think I'll like the i4 too and it'll be a solid addition to the US EV market.

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
once they can produce in significant numbers... the i4 will compete hard with the Model 3 and the Cadillac Lyriq (310+ miles EPA for RWD version) will go against the Model Y. Unless 0-60 is your main concern - my bet is that the Lyriq will be much quieter/ better ride comfort and better build quality. Customer service at BMW / Cadillac vs. Tesla let's not even talk about that. You certainly aren't being send home with "uber credit" at their dealerships.

Reactions: Brou
There is only 1.2 seconds difference between the Plaid and M3P. In my seat of the pants calculator that aint much difference
I found I was often traction limited and couldn’t get 3.0 seconds due to road conditions, temps, etc. everything would really have to be prepped to get close to 2 seconds on the street. I’m not buying it to take it to a track…

@Brou

All that said...it is very annoying that EPA range estimates can't be trusted as a useful comparison. I agree wholeheartedly that's an issue! I wish the EPA would tighten up their rules to minimize that. But that doesn't change the fact that the M3P is truly more efficient and longer-range than the i4 M50, even if the difference isn't as big as the EPA ratings suggest.
I think the real problem is that there is not yet a reliable standard for testing and measuring EV range the way you can rely on the EPA’s estimate of the MPG of a Prius.

And that’s because there’s just so many variables that affect an EV’s range - outside temperature, EV’s state of charge, use of amenities (i.e., air conditioning), tire size, traffic (regardless of city or highway), etc.

In an ICE car, for example, engineering has figured out how to build/tune/run the ICE engine so that outside temperature doesn’t adversely affect its efficiency, or so that using the A/C doesn’t drain so much energy, and they have standardized tests to measure city and highway driving (whereas an EV thrives in the city because of the constant regenerative braking while it suffers significantly in highway driving).

Until all these variables are figured out, EPA range estimates will remain misleading and either over/under estimated.

@Brou That's a bunch of misleading nonsense. The real-world range of a 2021+ M3P is higher than an i4 M50. I've seen multiple review tests show that.

Also that 256 range result is from a 2018 M3P. I think the only drastic efficiency improvement since then is the heat pump, and I'm not sure if cabin heat gets used in EPA testing, but I still wouldn't use 2018 results to judge a new 2022 model! You know Tesla is tweaking these cars all the time. Even the EPA rating is slightly higher for 2021+ M3P than 2018. (But I agree, can't assume EPA rating difference correlates to real-world difference.)

Last but not least, apparently Edmunds admitted to only charging a Model Y to 90% for a range test, while charging all non-Teslas to 100%. I'm not finding a detailed Edmunds article on that 2018 M3P test to say whether they actually charged it to 100%. I believe lately Edmunds has been consistently charging Teslas to 100%, for their most recent range tests, but I don't trust that 2018 Edmunds test, because of how the sandbagged the Model Y in an older test.

Do you have a Model 3? Are you replacing it with an i4? I'm pretty excited for the i4 to start selling here. From the comparisons I've watched and read (from Europe where the i4 was launched earlier), I think my 2021 M3P is more to my taste (i4 M50 test drive needed to confirm that though!), but I do think I'll like the i4 too and it'll be a solid addition to the US EV market.

You may want to write in your complaints to Edmunds. I don't work for them. I'm just relaying their findings.

Screenshot_20220611-121233.png

Screenshot_20220611-121307.png

Screenshot_20220611-121411.png

Screenshot_20220611-121455~4.png

Reactions: rjpjnk
my bet is that the Lyriq will be much quieter/ better ride comfort and better build quality. Customer service at BMW / Cadillac vs. Tesla let's not even talk about that. You certainly aren't being send home with "uber credit" at their dealerships.
yeah and it’s going to be a very long time before Tesla catches up with the dealer network, service center customer service, and build quality of the legacy automakers. Tesla has built and produced and sold so many cars that we forget they’re still in their infancy as an automaker while the rest have been around for 50+ years - Cadillac and BMW have figured it out

After I bought my late 2018 LR Model 3 Tesla started reducing prices, I didn't like it but knew early tech always costs more plus I got the tax credit and other rebates. Now that prices have gone up numerous times the Model 3 costs more than what I paid and lost the radar, passenger lumbar and mobile connector. Oh wait, it did get a heated steering wheel, auto trunk lid and black trim.

• Funny
Reactions: Hiline
You may want to write in your complaints to Edmunds. I don't work for them. I'm just relaying their findings.

View attachment 818356
View attachment 818357
View attachment 818358
View attachment 818359

Man....the 2018 M3P was way off, worst one on the list

Reactions: Resist

View attachment 818356
View attachment 818357
View attachment 818358
View attachment 818359

Great chart. Looks like Tesla really shines in the efficiency numbers (Wh/miles). They may overstate their EPA range a bit but their battery and motor technology must be extremely good to get these low consumption numbers, especially given how powerful the cars are. Well done.

Reactions: Lindenwood