Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe that Tesla should offer refunds on any depositors that have reserved and not configured. Currently the deposit is refundable only for two weeks after placing it. Some will be caught in the middle. Because this is such a substantial increase, Tesla should offer a one time refund event, or be subject to "bait and switch" ridicule.

I believe that Tesla should offer refunds on any depositors that have reserved and not configured. Currently the deposit is refundable only for two weeks after placing it. Some will be caught in the middle. Because this is such a substantial increase, Tesla should offer a one time refund event, or be subject to "bait and switch" ridicule.

While I do believe that Tesla screwed up somewhat with these increases, and the way they handled it (i.e. with zero communications as I posted in the other increase thread), i'm not sure if I understand your post. The initial deposits are fully refundable without any time limit, no? And if you are talking about after placing an order, I thought that existing orders can still be placed with old pricing, just without access to the new options and optionality? So, nothing has materially changed for existing orders, or again, I'm missing something, which is possible.

While I do believe that Tesla screwed up somewhat with these increases, and the way they handled it (i.e. with zero communications as I posted in the other increase thread), i'm not sure if I understand your post. The initial deposits are fully refundable without any time limit, no? And if you are talking about after placing an order, I thought that existing orders can still be placed with old pricing, just without access to the new options and optionality? So, nothing has materially changed for existing orders, or again, I'm missing something, which is possible.

Initial deposits are refundable now for only two weeks...

Well, there's a big earnings release on Aug 7th., maybe somebody who's gone over the price increases with a fine tooth comb will have the opportunity to ask about them all.

I hope it's based on getting to target margin and that this is it for nasty surprises. Raising prices looks bad in light of the aims for production efficiency and a low-priced model, but if they get to target gross margin and profitability on the back of it, it's a whole different thing ball game and we can ask what comes next.

+1. Couldn't have said it better.

The entry level 60kWh with no options (piano black interior) is still the same price. It's just the options that have mostly gone up, meaning people will have to fork over more for the options they really want. But it makes sense if Tesla is production-constrained and demand is robust.

Also Xenon lights and HD backup camera are now standard equipment even in the 60kWh S.

So after I went over our two considerations the previous 85, P85 and a new identical configuration results in a price increase of $1750 for the 85 and $500 for the P85. Two of our options had big increases, the pano roof, and the child seats. Well, that's more reason to lean towards the P85 now I guess.

Last time I checked, the USA is a free market economy (...well, mostly). There were no guarantees about future pricing, options, etc on the TM site. Yes, some folks likely have a decision to make about what is or is not important when building their Model S. I bought mine knowing that it did not have parking sensors (something I really wanted), and also was one of the folks who got trapped in the fog light conundrum (listed on the specs, part of my build list, but dropped in forward production without any $$ compensation). Now I will see how (and for how many $$) I can get parking sensors retrofit, and what might be done with the fog light issue. At the end of the day, people, we are talking about a car, a discretionary purchase (and not a trivial inexpensive one at that). I personally believe that the Model S is a relative bargain when compared to similar vehicles from other auto manufacturers. And, FWIW, if I built/ordered my S85 today, my price increase would be very manageable. The P85 'full spec' car really got pricey.

Jerry's question was about the inherit nature of the car itself, not about the value proposition (what you get for your money). At least that's what I was addressing.

Well, I was thinking what folks would say when I show the car and they see it doesn't have "X" also, I like to have a few toys as performance isn't really that important to me (I'm guessing you already knew this :) Not that it needs everything, but it shouldn't be plain as a rental car either. The dual nav systems really impress folks. When I'm at a show--and I've been to six in the past eight weeks--I set a destination so both can be seen. The sound studio also gets a lot of positive comments. People get in the car, I shut the door, and watch the smile on their face as the classical music gets loud. There is more than one way to get a Tesla grin.

@jerry33
My interpretation might have been too serious/literal. Rereading your initial post (and your new post), you likely intended more of a "you only live once, enjoy it" vibe rather than a "the base offering sucks" vibe. Mea culpa.

@jerry33
My interpretation might have been too serious/literal. Rereading your initial post (and your new post), you likely intended more of a "you only live once, enjoy it" vibe rather than a "the base offering sucks" vibe. Mea culpa.

No problem. I've been online enough to know that it's really easy to misunderstand because there is no tonal inflection or body language to help meaning--and I don't always write clearly enough, even though I try. (I typically get 8,000 to 10,000 emails a day that I also have to deal with--that's why there is only 7,700 miles on the Model S since Mar 2.)

Price is not set until you configure!

But I don't believe there is any such thing as a reservation now. You order your car and configure, and after two weeks the deposit becomes non refundable and the configuration is locked in. Configuration is part of ordering the car and paying the money, right? I'm pretty sure the deposit becoming non refundable and the configuration being finalized are always simultaneous.