Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These states burn coal because it is locally sourced, plentiful and cheap. McConnel and Machin are looking out for their constituents. While here in California electricity prices are probably 3 times what they are in Kentucky and West Virginia.
Not to mention out of control gas prices due to ridiculous taxes. With some of the worst roads in the nation, since the gas taxes don’t even go towards the roads. I feel bad for my non-EV friends.

These states burn coal because it is locally sourced, plentiful and cheap. McConnel and Machin are looking out for their constituents. While here in California electricity prices are probably 3 times what they are in Kentucky and West Virginia.
Actually, the average electricity rate is 2x higher in Cali than it is in W Virginia and Kentucky. Very few states pay less than prices in California though. A lot of that has to do with the build out of the next gen grid based on wind, thermal, solar and hydro, plus the wild fire emergencies that have gotten worse over the last few years, thanks to climate change.
That said, it doesn't cost me a dime for my electricity. In fact, my electric company gives me a $400-$500 check at the end of every year, thanks to my solar panels. That also means my electric company is paying me to charge my Tesla every day! My excess electricity generation goes back into the grid to help, as well.
California currently generates 33% of electricity from renewable sources, while only 9% is coal fired. W Virginia and Kentucky generate 70% of their electricity from coal fired plants (highest in the nation). The amount of pollution from this is staggering, not to mention the people dying from black lung disease each year in these states continues to grow.
In about 50 years though, people in Kentucky and W Virginia will be paying a crap ton more than any state that is currently converting their grids to 100% renewables. McConnell and Manchin aren't looking out for their constituents, they are screwing them over by not converting. Jobs in renewables pay higher wages and they don't have the consequences of coal mining. By continuing with coal, you have short term gains at the expense of very long term consequences. McConnell and Manchin will get richer from coal lobbyists though, so that's cool.

Reactions: bnsfengineer
We placed our order back in April and by the time we picked up the car in August, the window sticker was already $2K higher due to the summer price hikes. I agree with so much demand that there is little incentive for Tesla to stop raising the price. It may have something to do with potential incentives from the new infrastructure bill, but I doubt it. Not too many folks cancelling orders from what I can see here on the board.
Exactly. And fact is many people are paying these exorbitant prices. Just look on Carvana and you'll see pending sales for used MYP's in the $70k's! If I'm Tesla it would be silly not to raise prices with this kind of demand.

@LBM4 if you believe that large corporations with armies of tax attorneys and a history of exposing loopholes are just going to roll over and pay the proposed 21% tax on profits, I want what you’re smoking. Every financial analyst who has done a tear down on the proposed funding has come to the same conclusion - “no way”. If you don’t think that ultimately comes back to us in the form of higher taxes, then I have some investment ideas I want to pitch to you with a guaranteed 24% annual return 😂

So now what on a M3P??? Suck it up and get in line now with a $1k increase in hopes that's where the price hikes stop? Or just more reason now to wait on this stupid bill to pass or fail one way or another? If tax incentives come back in 2022 this isn't all that bad. Still sucks, but not that much. $57.9k is now $2.9k OVER the proposed $55k cap for sedans to qualify anyway.

I've been telling people for months, if you want a Tesla, order a Tesla.

Waiting on rebates, rumors, new features, new batteries... it never ends, and almost always means you're going to get screwed.

There's an old saying in the car business. Buy the car, not the deal. If you find a car you want, buy it. Too many people get held up looking for a deal, that they miss out on what they actually wanted.

It was an excruciating 3-month wait for our Y to be delivered but am very happy to learn we paid $3500 less compared to now. I contemplated waiting for 4680 batteries but didn’t want to pay thousands more and get a first-year run. I love the Y even more than my previous S (and did not think that could be possible)!

The Model S is still the most beautiful Tesla to me but the Y fits our family needs better and has most of the features from the S while also providing more range and faster Supercharging. I do miss the dual screens in the S.

Everyone expected the Y to be a monster global seller but demand has surpassed even those lofty expectations.

Reactions: cusetownusa
…and Democrats are bought and paid for by the union lobbyists. It’s why Tesla was not invited to the White House EV event.
I also got a chuckle out of the new refrigerant restrictions coming out of the EPA that were supported by all of the HVAC manufacturers… duh… it will force the purchase of new HVAC systems as the availability of existing refrigerants wanes.

…and Democrats are bought and paid for by the union lobbyists. It’s why Tesla was not invited to the White House EV event.
Let’s not forget that Democrats are also bought and paid for by wealthy Wall Street traders and CEOs. There’s a reason that most of the super rich support Democrats and it isn’t because they’re going to actually tax them more.

Reactions: zpaul and oktane
I'd disagree on this one. Remember this?

I’m only one data point in the > 500K bracket but the Trump tax “cuts” had me go from writing checks for a few grand with my tax returns to writing a check that would buy a nice model Y. My actual tax burden always drops under Democrat policies and increases under Republican policies so my personal experience is the opposite of what media reporting would have you believe.

Thank you for including the brief period where the MYLR was $49k. I know it’s semantics but technically it is now priced $6k higher than the lowest price this year, not $5k like most people say.

@GenSao Do you know the source of the price change chart or is this something you put together?

I put the graph together myself. Check out all the graphs for all models (S X 3 Y) here.

Links to references are included. Reference to price changes prior 2018 are harder to 100% find. There are some older references in case I do want to go back further.

It was an excruciating 3-month wait for our Y to be delivered but am very happy to learn we paid $3500 less compared to now. I contemplated waiting for 4680 batteries but didn’t want to pay thousands more and get a first-year run. I love the Y even more than my previous S (and did not think that could be possible)!

The Model S is still the most beautiful Tesla to me but the Y fits our family needs better and has most of the features from the S while also providing more range and faster Supercharging. I do miss the dual screens in the S.

Everyone expected the Y to be a monster global seller but demand has surpassed even those lofty expectations.
It's possible that by EOY, that $3,500 could be $7,500 which equates the Federal tax credit (in its current form) and arguably a better way to get that $7,500?