Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why BUY FSD when you can rent it for $199/mo. How often do you really use FSD in your daily driving? For me and my family, I can see 4 times a year I might want it (4 annual long road trips).

Funny on our last two road trips I thought about pulling the trigger but then thought about all the construction and winter weather and opted not to. Basic AP works just fine for my needs. But $12K/$200 = 60 months of use. Your math may vary.

Why BUY FSD when you can rent it for $199/mo. How often do you really use FSD in your daily driving? For me and my family, I can see 4 times a year I might want it (4 annual long road trips).

Funny on our last two road trips I thought about pulling the trigger but then thought about all the construction and winter weather and opted not to. Basic AP works just fine for my needs. But $12K/$200 = 60 months of use. Your math may vary.
One other factor to consider. With the scenario above, if you sell your car after 5 years, the value of the car is higher if you bought FSD.

I really like the auto lane change, but care less about the other features. The features of the Beta are fun, but at $10k or $12k, I'd pass. $7k when I bought FSD was a hard call.

Enhanced auto pilot is the best option IMO. Hopefully they'll offer that again sometime.

Reactions: dfwatt
One other factor to consider. With the scenario above, if you sell your car after 5 years, the value of the car is higher if you bought FSD.

I really like the auto lane change, but care less about the other features. The features of the Beta are fun, but at $10k or $12k, I'd pass. $7k when I bought FSD was a hard call.

Enhanced auto pilot is the best option IMO. Hopefully they'll offer that again sometime.
Competition in the market will drive down the costs. Regulations/safety is what is keeping FSD in beta. Once the "standards" are set, and Tesla FSD is out of Beta, all other large OEM manufacturers and smaller EV makers have a clear pathway to get "authorizable" solutions into the market (with cheaper, non-R&D "first to market" budgets)

Actually this may not be true. Trade in value often is less than $1k with or without FSD. Tesla will potentially sell FSD again on the same vehicle multiple times.

So even if you "buy" FSD, Tesla is blurring the line between purchase and subscription.

I originally ordered FSD for $10k, but removed it due to the above as well as all the phantom braking, no radar, and other issues.