TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Price Increase

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Mark E, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Mark E

Mark E Member

Looks to me like the replacement price for my config has gone up a bit. Good news for resale, bad news for insurance cover if something happens to it!
    I noticed this after looking to configure what a base car would cost to compare against the BM etc after a chat with a colleague. Anyone else notice this?

image.jpg

2. Daemon

Daemon Member

Bugger! I guess its due to the AUD continuing to drop? I we end up back at about $0.75US I guess they'll add on another $5k or so to the base price.

I was hoping to order one in the ACT in a few months - I need to wait for the supercharger to be built as I'm in an apartment at the moment.

3. luster

luster Member

over $10,000 for some configs

4. mhh

mhh Member

What's the story for those in the queue with deposits paid? Are we price-protected?

5. luster

luster Member

We are indeed price protected.

- - - Updated - - -

The price has gone up in most countries except Switzerland.

Looks like it is the stronger USD against the currencies of each other export market, except the CHF of course which is much stronger now.

6. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

My config has gone up by $9K

7. rowdy

rowdy Member

Have heard another price increase is coming in the next couple of weeks

8. Keiron

Keiron Member

Bugger!. A price rise is unfortunate timing for me. I am seriously tempted to trade my 85S (60,000Km+) in over the next few months and go out to the end of the limb and go P100DL :D.
    Has anyone sold there 85S or variant privately recently? Would be interested in the numbers of what buyers are prepared to pay second hand.
    Rowdy have we verified the announcement with Tesla directly?

9. rowdy

rowdy Member

Yes this came from Tesla. I have an X deposit which I said I'd look at finalising when the cars were in Australia. Test drives starting on 23rd. Pretty sure the date of price rise was on or after 25th so a small window to lock in.

Have also being looking at a ModelS P100DL, but this whole countergate situation is putting me off. Think I might just wait for the new 2170 packs before committing to another performance S.

10. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

This "countergate" thing is a storm in a teacup that gets prodded along on forums by non Tesla owners that are keen to see the stock price at a lower level, anyone who performs 650 Ludicrous+ launches is missing many other great reasons to buy a Tesla.

11. rowdy

rowdy Member

I've looked at the info and I trust wk057 and ingineer. It's definitely in the BMS and affects other situations besides launch mode including simply mashing the accelerator.

I have no doubts that this will get resolved by Tesla engineering in the future.

For a $300k+ car I'd rather wait 6 months for the new cells and pack design. I'm certain the pack components will be spec'd properly now that tesla know the shortcomings in the current design.

12. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

I don't think a fix is possible, it's a short coming of lithium batteries. Repeated high current draw damages the batteries. Try punching a quad copter from a standstill 20 times In a row even with a high C battery. They puff up like a homeboy on steroids.

13. rowdy

rowdy Member

There are many different types of lithium batteries and different chemistries for different uses. It's not the weak point - and even if it were Tesla are manufacturing their own chemistry at the gigafactory so they can adjust it to suit their needs.

14. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

Yes, and 18650/21700 cells have a very low C rating compared to a high performance LiPO cell used in any drone/RC aircraft (at the cost of density). The performance off RC Lipo batteries in high current applications greatly exceeds that of Tesla batteries. If you have battery damage happening in batteries with 10-20 times the performance (at shoving out a lot of current) of a Tesla cell, there is little hope in the near future of the improvements you suggest. The advantage of Tesla cells is they are in parralell en mass and have a BMS, but you can't defeat fundamental design issues. Maybe a suoercapacitor in between the battery pack and be motor would be a solution. (And Elon is a big fan of supercapacitors).