Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price increases 3/18. Will FSD option go up as well?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, far from it. Elon is a master of misdirection and a spin doctor. With this he accomplished a few things:
  1. Got a sales lever - more people purchased a software only option, adding pure profit to Q1 revenue
  2. Got free advertising from media reporting on the debacle - including advertising of the sales lever (stories on how prices are going back up next week)
  3. He closed a bunch of stores, but the story is how he didn't close the rest - so a positive spin on downscaling
  4. He got rid of sales bonuses, but burried that in the "not closing most stores" story
  5. He neutered EAP and FSD (FSD now consists mostly of old EAP features)
  6. By stirring up the social outrage about pricing, he buried #5 completely - masterful touch
I believe you are absolutely right about #5. Most people have missed this point.

When it does, Elon's trick will be complete. Reduce FSD features along with the price, then put the price back up but leave the reduced features as description, never again speak of the original description (with unattended self driving). Over time, they'll lower the prices slower (as not to cause another social outrage), because people will not be willing to pay that much for the reduced feature set. If I was to guess, I foresee Tesla referral coming back in a form of EAP/FSD discount (for both giver and receiver).

PS> Not exactly a brand new idea for Tesla, they did it in the past in reverse direction before when they increased the cost of PUP and added ventilated seats at the same same time, so people said "reasonable, they added something to PUP so makes sense that the price went up". Shortly thereafter, the removed ventilated seats from PUP, but the price remained higher. Nobody noticed that the price of the original PUP was now higher, even though some complained about no more available ventilated seats. Welcome to marketing.

Last edited:
They are just messing with us huh!? Make us throw cash at their face and don't provide the update and come up with something like they need to push for Q1 sales.
Of course it was a Q1 sales push, combined with neutering of FSD features. The social outrage will just push the prices back up after the sale ends (though reduced functionality will remain).

Why does it matter to you though if they extended it by another 2 weeks though? If you wanted to buy it, you bought it. Assume it's already back up if it makes you feel better, it's not like you can sell it back to Tesla at full price. This only affects you if you are waiting to buy after the price goes back up, which I suspect is not the case.

Just bit the bullet and bought the FSD upgrade for $2000. I have a MS 75D with AP2.5 and EAP bought in Sept ‘17. I just hope and pray that FSD comes online sooner rather than later; meaning in a couple of weeks/months and not years.

Just bit the bullet and bought the FSD upgrade for $2000. I have a MS 75D with AP2.5 and EAP bought in Sept ‘17. I just hope and pray that FSD comes online sooner rather than later; meaning in a couple of weeks/months and not years.

Red light/ stop sign recognition will come first and I will be happy to see it in action. Hopefully in a few months. Anything more than that I expect years.

Red light/ stop sign recognition will come first and I will be happy to see it in action. Hopefully in a few months. Anything more than that I expect years.
If the red light/stop sign recognition works on Nav on autopilot for even most of the 50 signs/lights I need to go through from the Golden Gate Bridge to South of Market, it will be $2k well spent. Here's hoping...

Reactions: asterothe
If the red light/stop sign recognition works on Nav on autopilot for even most of the 50 signs/lights I need to go through from the Golden Gate Bridge to South of Market, it will be $2k well spent. Here's hoping...
I don't follow. If it recognizes most, but not all, that means it will run a red light here and there. So, that means you have to have your foot above the brake each time to stop just in case. Generally, auto-pilot on local roads, even with ability to recognize some or most signs and lights, would be plane dangerous to use unless you're using it always ready to take over in a split second when it decides to run a red light or plow into a parked fire truck. Btw, if all these "sign and lights" recognition is coming so soon, how come we haven't even seen speed limit sign recognition on AP2 matching at least AP1 capabilities?

No idea. I purchased it so it no longer shows up on my account page.

It's still $2000 for me so I wonder if the vehicle price went up.

I totally agree. Traffic light recognition is an exciting feature that would justify the cost.