Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Increases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any guesses for how much the price increases will be? The only thing we know is it will average around a 3% increase and the base will stay the same. What we don't know is if that will be an increase of 1or 2 thousand for the long range Model 3s. Guesses?

Every model under a 3% increase EXCEPT the one I am contemplating, ha, the LR RWD. No biggie I will either dial down to the SR+ or wait until the price falls by at least another $500 on the LR RWD. Which hopefully will happen by the time I am ready to pull the trigger (on release of HW3).

If one could haggle with Tesla or if they did regularly hold “sales” (and label them as such) I might accept this logic, but, these large and arbitrary-seeming price swings over short periods of time do not build confidence in the vast majority of consumers shopping for vehicles. $1500 is an entire option set (wheels, paint).

I shall be waiting for the next “sale.”

If one could haggle with Tesla or if they did regularly hold “sales” (and label them as such) I might accept this logic, but, these large and arbitrary-seeming price swings over short periods of time do not build confidence in the vast majority of consumers shopping for vehicles. $1500 is an entire option set (wheels, paint).

I shall be waiting for the next “sale.”

Prices change this much and more on the same exact car at the same exact dealer on the same exact day for 2 different buyers.

Somehow, its ok because people can haggle, but when the price is the same for everyone on the same day (tesla) but can fluxuate like any other product its not ok.

/shrug I dont understand the logic but it makes sense to some. Waiting for a "sale" also makes sense btw, if that is what one wants to do and they dont like the price. So does moving on to another product. I just dont understand people being ok with a dealer charging "joe negotiator" 1500 less than the single mom with 2 kids who is buying the same car as him at the same dealership, because she doesnt have his negotiating experience.... but everyone paying the same price that moves is not ok.

Reactions: Scott7 and Moze1021
When dealers negotiate prices on cars they have lots of moving parts - back end rebates, volume rebates, finance incentives, holdbacks, etc. This is well accepted as the way the legacy auto industry conducts business.

With Tesla they sell everything direct to the consumer, so they can’t blame their dealer network for the price fluctuations. To make matters worse, the price changes have been done in a very public arena for all of us to watch. Prices dropped in early January because the reduction in federal tax credits caused demand to soften.

Then Elon decided to close all of the stores and reduce prices to reflect the reduced overhead. Then he changed his mind and decided not to close all the stores, so he raised prices to adjust again. If all of this wasn’t so visible to us we probably wouldn’t give it much thought. But because Elon keeps tweeting his decisions rather than keeping them quiet, it causes a lot of noise within the community. It’s not necessarily a bad thing for prices to adjust from time to time, but I don’t think I’d be so vocal about the behind the scenes stuff until I thought it through a little more carefully.

When dealers negotiate prices on cars they have lots of moving parts - back end rebates, volume rebates, finance incentives, holdbacks, etc. This is well accepted as the way the legacy auto industry conducts business.

With Tesla they sell everything direct to the consumer, so they can’t blame their dealer network for the price fluctuations. To make matters worse, the price changes have been done in a very public arena for all of us to watch. Prices dropped in early January because the reduction in federal tax credits caused demand to soften.

Then Elon decided to close all of the stores and reduce prices to reflect the reduced overhead. Then he changed his mind and decided not to close all the stores, so he raised prices to adjust again. If all of this wasn’t so visible to us we probably wouldn’t give it much thought. But because Elon keeps tweeting his decisions rather than keeping them quiet, it causes a lot of noise within the community. It’s not necessarily a bad thing for prices to adjust from time to time, but I don’t think I’d be so vocal about the behind the scenes stuff until I thought it through a little more carefully.

There would not be any way for tesla to change prices in anything other than "a very public way". The second they increased prices it would be all over.. because its visible on a website.

All of those things you mentioned (holdbacks, incentives, volume rebates, factory to dealer cash, factory to consumer cash etc etc) are all.. price changes. Thats all they are. Price changes that change monthly, or even faster.

The store closing stuff was a bad look, yes I agree about that. Doesnt look well thought out. im not talking about that, I am talking about the "OMG I cant believe they changed the pricing 1500!" statements people make.

Everyone that has ever bought a car from a dealer knows for a fact that the same car would be offered at different prices to different people. Tesla doesnt have "factory to dealer cash" or "winter wonderland cash" or "december to remember" or any of that stuff.

Maybe they would be better off if they had a dealer network? It would match peoples expectations better.... but dealers would rather push other brands, and tesla would have to discount the car to them enough for them to make a profit, so less money for tesla, more expensive car for us, less EV adoption (probably.. since most dealers were not interested in selling EVs at all until tesla proved there was a market for it).

You ever shop at Amazon or similar.....prices go up and down all the time. So they had a "sale"....and now it's over...oh well.

That's fine. Then I'm no longer a buyer. Their mistake. Their loss. Keep drinking the cool aid.

They lowered the price and I started taking a serious look at the car. I find it's such a screwed up company and shoddily built car, but I keep looking for some reason. The technology seems so cool, if only the car wasn't built so poorly. I even stopped at my detailer yesterday and asked him was the model 3 he worked on really as bad as he said. He said it was the worst paint job he's ever seen on a new car. Period.

Then they raise the price just a couple weeks later? For no real reason other then they changed their mind about a boneheaded decision to close all their stores?

Like I said earlier, I'm done looking and it's probably the smartest decision I could have made. My Volt is a better car.

That's fine. Then I'm no longer a buyer. Their mistake. Their loss. Keep drinking the cool aid.

They lowered the price and I started taking a serious look at the car. I find it's such a screwed up company and shoddily built car, but I keep looking for some reason. The technology seems so cool, if only the car wasn't built so poorly. I even stopped at my detailer yesterday and asked him was the model 3 he worked on really as bad as he said. He said it was the worst paint job he's ever seen on a new car. Period.

Then they raise the price just a couple weeks later? For no real reason other then they changed their mind about a boneheaded decision to close all their stores?

Like I said earlier, I'm done looking and it's probably the smartest decision I could have made. My Volt is a better car.

Every car is not for every person (not sure why everyone seems to think thats the case). I would never own a volt or a bolt, but choice is good! enjoy your volt, I will enjoy my car, and life goes on :)

I ordered a Model 3 and got a $10k discount on it, so I would suggest checking that route before worrying too much about the price increases; you might be able to get a higher trim for less than you think. I just took delivery of it today and threw a video up on my youtube page about it.