Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price just dropped for FSD in my account to $2600 from $4000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2019-3-6_8-45-10.png Trigger pulled. The best 3LR possible outside of after market mods :), time to file the tax return to balance out!

I am hesitant to see how well it can handle stop signs / traffic lights and city traffic, but I am on the way to convincing myself that the new chip will ALSO be a significant benefit / improvement to the existing / legacy EAP features (NoA). At least that is what I am trying to convince myself of in order to pull the trigger on the $2,600 FSD offer in my account.

Oh yeah, and that the hardware upgrade will be available and “installed” in my car sometime within the next 6 months. (?)

I am hesitant to see how well it can handle stop signs / traffic lights and city traffic, but I am on the way to convincing myself that the new chip will ALSO be a significant benefit / improvement to the existing / legacy EAP features (NoA). At least that is what I am trying to convince myself of in order to pull the trigger on the $2,600 FSD offer in my account.

Oh yeah, and that the hardware upgrade will be available and “installed” in my car sometime within the next 6 months. (?)

No clue, 8 shares of TSLA or the promised car in X months :rolleyes:?

nice. happy to see some modders/car enthusiasts in the group

Maybe when the weather gets nice, we should plan a meet
come out, shoot the *sugar* over coffee and talk Tesla (and previous rides haha)

Absolutely! It's hard to find Tesla owners who were into other cars previously.

Before: Spend $1000 on ECU flash and tuning to gain +20whp.
Today: Elon: Our cars are still too slow, Here's +20hp for free.

Bingo!

Perhaps Tesla will sell a package that includes the new computer and FSD for $2,000 in the future. Great deal for everyone who already has EAP and wants additional performance and functionality towards eventual automatous venicle.
I don’t think there will be any more price drops to be honest. The backlash that was caused and the price is as cheap as it gets. Research and development and HW3 isn’t cheap you know. You can’t keep telling them to make it lower

The new chip will make all your software work faster with additional capability. More benefits than just FSD. Imaging that all the Autopilot features will run better. Higher level of sensor integration. Quicker booting, more stable, quicker screen draws and faster reacting. Maybe become able to really surf the web.

No offense but is this written somewhere or just speculation? As it stands I don't believe chip capability is necessarily limiting anything is it? Much as I'd like to believe everything will just work smoother and "better" with another chip like a PC, is this true and guaranteed?

Also I wonder when HW4 will be due? That will really rile the moaners if HW4 comes hot on the heels of HW3 for just another few thousand....

Got my Model 3 LR RWD June 5th, 2018. Really wanted EAP but at $6,600 was just to much at once, so I assumed that I'll get it later for $7,900 afterwards (that's EAP). The FSD at the time was $4,000 before delivery and $5,300 after so it'll cost me $13,200 to upgrade afterwards.

Fast forward to before March 5th and the price was $5,300 for only AP (Autosteer & TACC, SINGLE LANE only). FSD now has all the "self driving" features to the tune of $9,200. This totals $14,500 for after delivery so no go. However, saw the Tesla blog post that it'll be offered for half so I waited nervously. I was surprised that both AP & FSD were offered for $6,600; so I pulled the trigger. Now waiting for my car to update (3 days).

If you take into account the price drop from $64,100 to $58,400 ($5,700 difference) and add $6,600 upgrade, that equals $12,300. That's $2,200 cheaper than if you buy a M3 LR RWD now and upgrade AP/FSD later. It's a good deal.

The new chip will make all your software work faster with additional capability. More benefits than just FSD. Imaging that all the Autopilot features will run better. Higher level of sensor integration. Quicker booting, more stable, quicker screen draws and faster reacting. Maybe become able to really surf the web.
The AP computer is NOT the MCU, AP 3.0 hardware only improves FSD capabilities. The MCU does all the screen draws, apps, etc.