Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price lock in question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been answered, I can't find a straight answer and I can't sleep.

3 days ago I put an order in at a Tesla show room with my wife. She ended up being the account owner. The Tesla guy said to make sure and register asap.

She didn't, and when I saw the news about the price increase I asked her about it and we scrambled to register. When we logged in, it said on our account the 58k price we had ordered. But after we registered it said "amount due $65k" with the base price being the new $61k value.

So are we screwed? We paid the deposit for the 58k price but since we didn't register in time we pay 61k? Has anyone had experience with this? And then followup, do you think it's something Tesla can change if we called and asked?

Thanks again

Sorry if this has been answered, I can't find a straight answer and I can't sleep.

3 days ago I put an order in at a Tesla show room with my wife. She ended up being the account owner. The Tesla guy said to make sure and register asap.

She didn't, and when I saw the news about the price increase I asked her about it and we scrambled to register. When we logged in, it said on our account the 58k price we had ordered. But after we registered it said "amount due $65k" with the base price being the new $61k value.

So are we screwed? We paid the deposit for the 58k price but since we didn't register in time we pay 61k? Has anyone had experience with this? And then followup, do you think it's something Tesla can change if we called and asked?

Thanks again

How did you "put in an order" and "pay the deposit" without an account? I am not aware of how that works.

I'm also confused by the order of events. Sounds like you did an in person order? I would assume that would require some kind of account to be setup so your order would be identifying and also so the order/reservation fee ($250) could be applied[?]

Is there some mechanism in a showroom where they setup your initial order and account but you still have to activate it? Just sounds all backasswards.

Let me try and explain better. When we put a deposit down, we created an account with her email address and paid $250 at the show room immediately after. Once you have your account, you can go to it and next to the picture of the car you ordered is a link called "manage". However, it takes some time before that link actually does anything because there's things in the background that have to finish before anything is populated.

Once you can click that link there's 2 things you need to do. 1) Set up your "registration" which as I understand it is "set up whose name or names are going to be on the car registration". 2) Enter details about how you're going to pay for it (trade-in, finance, cash, etc).

When we first logged in last night to do the "registration" the car price was shown on that page as 58k. After we finished registration and it took us to the "how are you going to pay for it" part, the price had changed to 61k base and 65k total owed after fees. And I remember that the guy at the show room said to make sure and register asap. So I wonder if your price isn't actually locked in until after you set up "registration".

That said, we did check our email for the order email sent when we actually paid the deposit and that one does say 58k. So.. I dunno what's going on I'll have to call them I suppose. I'll do that at lunch.

When we first logged in last night to do the "registration" the car price was shown on that page as 58k. After we finished registration and it took us to the "how are you going to pay for it" part, the price had changed to 61k base and 65k total owed after fees. And I remember that the guy at the show room said to make sure and register asap. So I wonder if your price isn't actually locked in until after you set up "registration".

That's helpful!

Yeah, it sounds like you possibly got price zinged between steps in the workflow, where the account was setup, deposit paid - but, the price not locked yet due to the latter part of the process not being completed. It's interesting the SA seemed concerned over you quickly "registering" (which sounds like sort of a poor choice of words, it's really like "complete the purchasing process to lock in order and price").

Hope they're able to adjust it for you!