TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Price Negotiation

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by razorblade, Aug 25, 2010.

1. razorblade

razorblade Member

I am wondering how much discount you typically get on a new Tesla (Roadster 2.5)? Anyone experience with this?

2. stenkb

stenkb Roadster 938 Model S 5957

hahahahhaa lol hahahhahaa

discount?

3. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

The Tesla is bleeding edge technology Razorblade. The uniqueness of this vehicle, the peace of mind from driving it, and of course the cool factor means that Tesla's are sold in a seller's market...I wouldn't expect any sort of price latitude from Tesla until the uniqueness, technology, supply chain, and coolness factors have some realistic competition...could take years...:biggrin:

4. razorblade

razorblade Member

:frown: not even 5%? I hate buying stuff without discount ;-)

5. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Tell you what...give it a try & let us know how you make out...I'll gladly give you a 1.5% commission if you can get my price knocked down by 5%...I'm sure others will as well! :wink:

6. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Most likely not but good luck.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

More likely to get them to throw something in.

Look at the options list and see what you can get.

8. kgb

kgb Member

I'm guessing they might throw in a free car wash if you buy a 2.5

9. razorblade

razorblade Member

They offered me a free Tesla cap so far ... (for my head, not for the car)

10. Excimer

Excimer Member

Am going to NYC dealer today. Wanna bet about a discount?

11. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

I highly doubt you can haggle them down on a new 2.5.

12. razorblade

razorblade Member

And? Any luck? :cool:

13. Excimer

Excimer Member

No discount but a nice lease deal that allows early termination ending in an S. Really liked roadster. A lot.

14. stenkb

stenkb Roadster 938 Model S 5957

hehe still lol at discount idea......but always worth a try....

15. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

The deal is true Sir, but you don't have negotiate it...Tesla advertised this deal to all those who had reserved an S car. I agree, it is a nice deal & the Roadster is amazing...

16. howabout2

howabout2 Member

While I agree that the lease-the-Roadster-until-your-S-ships lease offer was a fantastic move on Tesla's part, I am surprised to hear you call it a good deal.

I was shocked by the nearly $10,000 initial capital reduction.

I guess I am traditionally of the $0 cap reduction mind-set. $1,000 maybe. But $10,000? I understand it's a pricey car, but dang that is a lot of money up in smoke. And oddly enough, even after that cap reduction, the monthly payments were not as low as advertised on the promotional material.

Maybe you guys were quoted different numbers?

17. tomsax

tomsax Member

Regarding price negotiation, when you buy a Roadster you are buying directly from the manufacturer, not some independent middleman who can adjust margins to take customers from other independent dealers. Tesla prices aren't MSRP numbers padded to allow margins for dealer profits and competition. Also Tesla doesn't have some backlog of inventory they need to get rid of by the end of the month.

For the same reason, you are also a lot less likely to have to deal with a slimy know-nothing sales drone who is just trying to stuff you into a car and send you on your way.

If you're walking into a Tesla store, you should think of it more like an Apple store than a car dealership: smart sales people who are knowledgeable instead of pushy and don't expect wiggle room on pricing.

18. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Thanks for the information on Tesla stores vs. traditional dealerships Tom...your "Apple" analogy explains a lot that I was previously unaware of.

19. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I like the deal for a myriad of reasons...mostly because I can secure a Roadster now, and take a couple of years to convince "she who must be obeyed" that we should keep the Roadster even after the S car is delivered...:wink::biggrin:

20. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

When I brought my FX a dash replacement just two day before my warranty was to expire the dealership listed off a bunch of other repairs that were common problems with the car and asked if I wanted them "fixed". Since it was no cost to me and some of them might act up next week I had them do all the list.

Advantage of the dealer/maker relationship for the car owner is they want the labor money from the manufacturer for warranty work and for owners it means free repairs.