Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price of used Model 3s is amazing right now! [Summer 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I was checking to see a value in case tax rebates get passed. Have an order in for LR Y but holding for tax rebates While keeping price locked in. Hopefully it’ll be Jan 1 and I can release my hold in December and get in line but not too early.

It would be interesting to see how they value the MY SR.
This is what Vroom offered for my SR MY. This is with 1,500 miles and a base set-up, white, black, 19s. A bit more than I paid for.
BFA0D394-3D36-4DBE-8E0F-64A106C281D3.jpeg

Reactions: JohnNick72
You need to pick something located someplace other than Hawaii, which has always been a "captive market" as far as all car brands go. What people pay in hawaii doesnt count as "what the going rate" is.
Have you noticed different prices for used cars on Tesla.com based on where they are? I haven’t, pricing is pretty standard regardless of location. 3rd party for sure but Tesla seems to standardize across all locations.

Have you noticed different prices for used cars on Tesla.com based on where they are? I haven’t, pricing is pretty standard regardless of location. 3rd party for sure but Tesla seems to standardize across all locations.

Although there's limited inventory right now to compare, there have been numerous examples of pricing inconsistencies over the years with Tesla.

Doing a quick search, I found two 2018 M3 LR AWDs with similar build dates and options. Both also have clean histories yet the lower mileage (11k miles) slightly newer build car is priced $4,400 less than the higher mileage (17k miles) car.

This is a relatively minor inconsistency compared to some I've seen over time.

Carvana only offered me 45k for my 4K mile 2020 performance model 3 with FSD. That was like 10 days ago though so maybe something changed.
Bumping this back up since I’ve been checking my value regularly. Vroom offered my $38.5k back in Feb for my ‘18 P3 w/ 25000 miles. Flash forward to this week and they are offering me $45k. Tempted to cash out and get into a Y.

Figured I should at least check mine 🤪
I sold my 2019 M3P, 7,120 miles, Black, White interior, no FSD for $47k last week. As I suspected the the Performance trim would not hold its value as well as the other trims since Tesla does not offer enough differentiation in the trim other than the extra oomph to 60mph and bigger brakes. That said, the car is up like $6k compared to 3-4 months ago so I unloaded it. Waiting for a Cybertruck or something else that catches my eye.

For comparison, my wife's 2019 SR+ with 23k miles, black interior, no FSD has an offer of $36.5k, which is what I paid for it after the $3,750 tax credit.

Carvana only offered me 45k for my 4K mile 2020 performance model 3 with FSD. That was like 10 days ago though so maybe something changed.
Carvana offered me $47,249 for my 2019 M3P, white interior, no FSD. Carmax offered $47,000, I went with Carmax since I like dealing with them better right at their lot. I don't think they are offering any real money for FSD on resale. If it actually worked them maybe but most realize by now that FSD is a journey for the long haul and since Tesla doesn't let you transfer the feature most don't want to pay for vaporware.

I just sold my 2 year old Model 3 for more than I paid for it brand new from Tesla.

Context, my wife has a LR Model 3 which is our main car and I purchased the “off-menu” $35k SR Model 3 as a second runaround car in March 2019. We are both WFH now so we don’t need two cars. I only put 8k miles on the SR after 28 months and I looked after it so it was close to new condition.

Many of you will remember there was talk of a solid metal roof, cloth seats, lower range on the SR $35k Model 3 but Tesla didn’t end up making those, instead delivering the SR+ without AP. That makes sense because just before AP came ‘included’, it was a $3k option and Tesla were selling the SR+ for $38k at the time.

In June 2020, Tesla did the EOQ incentive on AP for $2k so I paid the extra then to fully unlock the software.

So in total, the car owes me $37k + fees & taxes.

However, since I purchased the car in March 2019, it qualified for $3,750 Fed tax credit and PG&E provided an incentive check of $900.

So really, the car owes me $32,350.

I just sold it for $38k!
I didn’t believe it until I had the check in my hand but it seems the secondary car market is bonkers right now. Even when you add in the taxes and fees, I still sold it for more than I paid new from Tesla, 28months and 8k miles later...

This says a lot about demand for Tesla cars but it sounds like demand for all used cars is high due to all manufacturers feeling the global supply chain crunch, chip shortages, rental car companies buying up a lot of the used cars after they sold them last year and people opting to drive instead of taking public transport due to the pandemic.

I likely could have sold it for a little more privately but I got a quote of around $37k from Carvana and a local dealer agreed to buy it for $38k so that was most convenient. The dealer told me that that June was an all time record for them, for both buying and selling cars.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this with the community in case others are in a similar situation and are thinking of selling.

• Informative
Reactions: omkar and Ormond
I am considering the same thing... got a few more miles than you but otherwise exact same car and upgrade. Had a carvana estimate but I haven't found another car I'd like to drive other than another model 3...
Don't forget to add the 1200 delivery fee... that and taxes add up.

Last edited:
Reactions: omkar
I just did a KBB lookup (yeah it's not great but it's at least an idea of value) and my car would only be a couple thousand less than what we paid for it as a trade in, and the private party sale is listed as what we paid for it.

2020 Model Y LR AWD Blue with 30,000 miles in Very Good condition.

We originally bought this car because we needed something temporary for six to nine months and buying then selling a car was going to be way cheaper than renting or leasing. Now with the suggested pricing I'm seeing that starting to look like a fantastic decision. I was expecting it to be closer to $6K loss starting from a new car.

So with the used car market right now I got an offer of $39k for my 2020 SR+, that’s more than I paid last June for it. I was able to place an order for a 2021 LR AWD this past Friday and I have delivery date set for July 21st. It was an existing inventory but brand new.

Is this worth the upgrade? I don’t “need” the extra mileage but there have been maybe 3-4 times in the past year where I needed to Supercharge to make it home after work which had me running all over the Phoenix area.

I’m having a hard time justifying this as the car is only 1 year olds. For reference I have driven 18,200 miles in a year so nothing crazy. Any advice would be appreciated!

Used car market is insane. My Corolla that I had bought for 12k at 10 years back was bought by Carvana for 10k - I paid 2k for 10 years of drive plus maintenance lol. It had a few maintenance needs such as alternator suggested to be replaced, timing belt etc that I had listed. After Carvana bought it I kept searching based on VIN number on it and one day it popped up as "Coming Soon". Soon later Carvana listed it as 150 point inspection passed and in excellent condition. It got sold within a day for 13k! It had 80 plus watchers.

You're in a similar boat that i was about exactly 1 year ago. I made a few $K selling my Model 3 SR+ and used it to upgrade to a Model Y AWD, that fits me and the family much better. Interest rates were also lower, so that was another bonus. I sold mine on Carvana and it was a smooth and easy transaction, so shop around a little for the best place to sell yours.