Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price of used Model 3s is amazing right now! [Summer 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My beloved Model 3 was t-boned the other day, and I'm thinking the insurance company will declare it totaled. So, I've been looking at my options. I configured a new Model 3 online (LR, AWD) and the price comes to about $50k. Then I checked the used inventory and saw that Tesla is currently selling several 2020 Model 3s with that same configuration - and over 20,000 miles - for several thousand dollars MORE than the new car price. What gives??!! Is it just a premium for getting your car now versus the wait time?

yeah it really sucks, they also throw the $10k full self driving onto most of the used ones to sort of artificially boost the value , they can take a 20k used car and make it a 30k used car with software... very smart business model... but for my situation it really sucks.... my old car *sugar* the bed so i was forced into buying a new car and i just could not pull the trigger on anything other than a model 3... only thing that makes sense to be honest, and then weighing the used vs new market on the model 3's there is no way i would buy used considering the price drop for buying new

That's why I ordered a new M3 SR+ last week and plan to sell 2020 M3 SR+ in mid October (if the prices hold).
someone like 2 weeks ago posted this carvana for a SR+ for 62k ... like wtf lol

Edit: https://www.carvana.com/cars/tesla-model 3?utm_vehicle_id=1879896&utm_content=hero_cta&utm_medium=engagement&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=price_drop

looks like they are lowering it a bit now.. still lol

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1959490 <-- this one is cheaper performance? makes no sense.. i get the extra 7k mileage but wow

someone like 2 weeks ago posted this carvana for a SR+ for 62k ... like wtf lol

Edit: https://www.carvana.com/cars/tesla-model 3?utm_vehicle_id=1879896&utm_content=hero_cta&utm_medium=engagement&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=price_drop

looks like they are lowering it a bit now.. still lol

Carvana is offering me $39,293 for my 2020 M3 SR+ basic configuration with 10k miles. My wife says I can't sell until after a trip she has in October, so I hope the price holds. No brainer to me to get the new 2022 for the price of tax, tags, etc. Bonus if I Tesla gets the tax credit back.

Reactions: CLK350
Carvana is offering me $39,293 for my 2020 M3 SR+ basic configuration with 10k miles. My wife says I can't sell until after a trip she has in October, so I hope the price holds. No brainer to me to get the new 2022 for the price of tax, tags, etc. Bonus if I Tesla gets the tax credit back.
makes no sense, you would think they would have just ordered a bunch of 21 SR+ for stock or something a few months ago .... guess the used market isn't looking to purchase new vehicles for stock but it would make sense at least

Sold my 2019 M3 SR+ to CarBuyerUSA for $40,100 (only 12K miles), which is more than I paid for it new back in early 2019. I was able to buy a inventory 2021 M3 LR after looking for about a week so I jumped at the once in a lifetime opportunity to sell a car for more than I paid for it (sans taxes).

CarBuyerUSA initially offered $1,400 more than Carvana, their initial offer was $40,900, but after the inspector came out they deducted $800 due tire wear and a little curb rash, still good deal overall ($600 more than Carvana). That being said, I would rate them a 4/5, they did pay quickly via a wire transfer (as soon as I sent them the title and signed the sales agreement), but the process for them scheduling someone to pickup my car was SLOW. I heard nothing for almost 3 days, then something told me to search for my VIN on google and sure enough, my car was already for sale at a dealership outside of Chicago. The dealership was even using the pictures the inspector had taken of my car when they came to my house (with my house in the background and all).

This dealership even had a link to the CarFax report for my car, and you could easily see what happened by following the history in the report. I sold to CarBuyerUSA, CarBuyerUSA sent out an inspector (ACV Auctions). they inspected and took pictures. CarBuyerUSA got back with me, told me their updated price and I signed the paperwork and sent title with their prepaid Fedex label. The next day it was sold at auction to this company out of Chicago, who then immediately listed it for sale and had a comment that said "in-transit" on the listing, while it was sitting at my house for another 4 days. I just wanted the car gone so I texted the number of the guy at CarBuyerUSA I originally spoke with to sign everything and finally heard back from someone after another 3 days that a transported had been scheduled. Then I get a random call the next day from a transporter saying "I will be there in 30 minutes to pickup your Tesla", completely out of the blue.

In all, I would recommend them. They had the best price from anywhere else I checked (Vroom, Carvana, Carmax), just go in expecting poor and slow communication, and make sure you have a place to keep your old car until they sell it at auction and schedule a pickup :)

Thanks for the responses. Truly a weird market right now. I'm gonna have a timing situation, given that I will have no car to sell. Assuming my car is totaled, the insurance company will probably cut me a check next week, and I can't imagine them paying for my rental car for much longer after that. The current estimated delivery for a LR AWD (not performance) is November, so I'll have 2 months or more with no car. Is it worthwhile to keep checking the website in the hopes that a car magically appears in "existing inventory" from time to time? Also, is there a way for me to do a nationwide search of existing inventory? The widest search I can figure out how to do is 200 miles. Thanks.

Me again. Thanks for pointing out that the used cars on the Tesla site have FSD included. I have zero interest in FSD. Do you think there's any chance I could get Tesla to remove that from a used car and knock $10,000 off the price? Thanks.
I am not sure about used, but they will remove FSD from new inventory vehicles that have it.

Consider replacing it with a 2022 LR m3. That'd be way better than whatever old thing you're driving now. ;p

I was going to suggest picking up an old Prius for $5K to drive for 3 months and sell it for $5K when you're done but they seem to be going for more like $15K and will surely plummet back to $5K when this is over. So maybe an e-bike augmented with uber is a more realistic option.

Reactions: jkeyser14
Whoa! CarBuyerUSA is offering my several thousand more than Carvana for me 2020 M3 SR+. Are they for real? Insane. Time to pull the trigger and sell.
Sold! Zoom meeting with a Notary on Monday to square away the paperwork. New model 3 SR+ ordered last week (right before the order fee for jacked up). Now it's up to congress to adjust the EV tax credit before I take delivery.

Reactions: MG535