Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

price reduction help - refund question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my MY in Feb 2020 ahead of the pandemic so i pushed off delivery until the end of the year. During that period, the MY saw a $3k price reduction (from $52,990 to $49,990) and FSD saw a increase from $7k to $10k.

Upon receiving my order breakdown the car and FSD still reflected the old price (higher car price of $52,990 with the $7k FSD) and ahead of taking delivery in November I spoke to support who said I would be receiving a refund check for the $3k price adjustment and would have benefited from having my order in before the annoucement of the increased FSD price. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and took delivery even though the pricing was not accurate thinking I would receive the $3k check.

After chasing support since November, I just got a call from support saying that since I took delivery after the price increase, that I was subject to the increased FSD pricing and would not be receiving a refund. I told them Elon's tweet did not explicitly say I needed to take delivery. I also posed a hypothetical that if i ordered a car today knowing Tesla would not be able to deliver for a few weeks and Elon tweeted that FSD was going to be $50k, that I would be responsible for the updated price and the rep said yes.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Am I misinformed or should I be receiving the $3k back.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
So I’m confused.

Did you order online ? Do you have your original contract agreement with the price?

Anytime you change your order it updates based on current pricing.

say I ordered last year and the fsd cost 7k, if I took delivery today I would have that price.

But if I change my order say the paint, it will reflect the current pricing of 10k.

that’s what happened to me in the beginning lol.

I did order online and my order agreement does show the original price of the car (the higher price) but the lower FSD price. What they are saying is I have to pay the price of all line items at the time of delivery.
That should be incorrect as it's a contract.

The contract doesn't change unless you change it. For me at least, when I updated my design, I still had the 7k fsd so on my final payment, it still listed it at 7k not at 10k.

You should make sure nothing was changed in between because that would be in violation of your contract.

Maybe I'm wrong and can someone confirm

Reactions: TechVP
Wait, so you want the 'new' price for the car, and the 'old' price for FSD? I would think it would have to be one or the other. Either old prices for car and FSD, or new prices for car and FSD. Either way, the $3k cancels out.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
Any refund in your car would be a modification of the terms of your original contract. Unless you have a written confirmation of this modification, you should not complete the transaction. Now you have no legal power to object. My understanding is that Tesla was trying to decrease the vehicle price to broaden the appeal and in the same time to increase the FSD price keeping the total price nearly the same over the years. You could "save" by redoing your order without FSD.

Wait, so you want the 'new' price for the car, and the 'old' price for FSD? I would think it would have to be one or the other. Either old prices for car and FSD, or new prices for car and FSD. Either way, the $3k cancels out.
If that's the case then you can't get an adjustment.

Like I said, if you paid 50k for the car and 7k for FSD in October, if you got the car today, that is your final price.

HOWEVER, if you changed the contract at all like adding new wheels and now the car is worth 48K but FSD is 10K. Your total is the new total and you can't mix and match.

Generally speaking, you pay whichever is the lower TOTAL retail price. In this case, the price is the same since the base price reduction and FSD price increase were both $3k. If you remove FSD, you'd get a $10k "refund" ($3k for the price reduction and $7k for the FSD). You could always add FSD back later on, either in full (currently $10k) or through the anticipated monthly subscription plan.

• Helpful
Reactions: jsight