Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Reduction on S and X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a red S LR on order since January with 19" wheels and white/black interior. My '22 with the same configuration had a huge eucalyptus tree fall on it with me in it and driving during a wind event. I ALMOST bought one of the showroom demos last week but kind of talked myself out of it after reading about the upcoming changes discussed in detail on this site. Last night I received an email and updated deal summary from Tesla. Couldn't figure out why until I checked the prices, $5000 reduction! I am so relieved I didn't buy that floor model last week. I guess timing is everything. This is great!

Marc

Looks like the $5K price reduction doesn't make any difference with regards to the demo models, which many of demos are just discounted new cars.

Tesla simply reduced the discount they were giving on the demo models by the same $5K. They were discounting most cars by $10K before the price drop.

Now with regards to the hardware changes, that's always a problem and no matter when you get your car, it will be out of date hardware-wise in short order. 😂

1678139597936.png

Very stressful with this Tesla company. My disappointment that we cannot upgrade from V3 to V4 hardware would have me not buy a single thing until cars were delivered with the new hw. Then again, it looks like all these people will get V4 hardware and no activation for FSD beta. So honestly nothing makes sense with this company. You have a better chance of making sense of things by spinning a wheel of fortune

Buying a Tesla is really no different than buying any other car. Are you satisfied with the features and price at the time you purchase it? However, if it's going to be a big issue with you that there is a newer model, different hardware set, or different price in a few weeks or few months, then it's likely not the right time for you to buy.

Given it sounds like HW4 is potentially one of those big deals for you, then you may be best served to wait and not buy until it's fully implemented.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Very stressful with this Tesla company. My disappointment that we cannot upgrade from V3 to V4 hardware would have me not buy a single thing until cars were delivered with the new hw. Then again, it looks like all these people will get V4 hardware and no activation for FSD beta. So honestly nothing makes sense with this company. You have a better chance of making sense of things by spinning a wheel of fortune
What you likely don't realize, is all car companies do this. The car you buy on a lot may have features and or designs that are out of date or the latest they offer. The difference is the dealers and legacy automakers make it difficult to learn what is going on or know in advance what features were dropped because of supply issues. There is so much more info available to Tesla owners and potential buyers it can be rather daunting, but really it's fairly standard across the industry. You're far ahead of the game when you pay attention to what is going on so you know what you are getting.

That said, you can be sure with any vehicle (Tesla or others), there will be future changes on the vehicle you buy. Sometimes they are nice things you wish you got, and sometimes they are things deleted or cheapened that you are happy didn't apply to you. Anyway, whatever you buy, try to be happy with what you have and not obsess about what may change or does change in the future.

Pricing seems to be this way on lots of items. From a local dealership, a Ford might be priced on sale one day, but not the next, Interest rates change almost daily, service prices go up and down (mostly up), insurance pricing can change from one month to another, gas prices can change multiple times during a day, housing prices go up and down, restaurant menu pricing changes with every reprinting, Cable bills change frequently special limited time offers change as well.
Everybody wants to purchase their Tesla at the lowest price possible, but trying to predict when the exact moment to place your order can be challenging.

Well the relief of saving $5k could be short lived as well.. I think the price could go back to near $79k from where it started.. (and that was without $6k penalty on tablestakr features like summon and auto park.. )

In the end upgrading Tesla is like buying Apple products now. Price is all over the place with no clear incremental value add. 😀

What you likely don't realize, is all car companies do this. The car you buy on a lot may have features and or designs that are out of date or the latest they offer. The difference is the dealers and legacy automakers make it difficult to learn what is going on or know in advance what features were dropped because of supply issues. There is so much more info available to Tesla owners and potential buyers it can be rather daunting, but really it's fairly standard across the industry. You're far ahead of the game when you pay attention to what is going on so you know what you are getting.

That said, you can be sure with any vehicle (Tesla or others), there will be future changes on the vehicle you buy. Sometimes they are nice things you wish you got, and sometimes they are things deleted or cheapened that you are happy didn't apply to you. Anyway, whatever you buy, try to be happy with what you have and not obsess about what may change or does change in the future.
I've owned over 50 cars and have never seen a MFG do this with a vehicle. Typically when cars have a new iteration they come with a certain set of options/features, sometime in there life cycle they usually have a refresh. Throughout this time they hardly ever make the kind of changes Tesla does lol. And if they are going to make these large changes, they stipulate them and stick to them. I love my MSP, I just hate the uncertainty. I almost traded in my 2021 for a 2022 for the matrix lights, then found out about HW4 starting to ship. Now I'm thinking none of this makes sense to upgrade and to wait a year or so to see what else changes. I guess on one hand its rather cool that they upgrade and are so cutting edge, but it makes it hard for someone to purchase a vehicle not knowing what there gonna actually be receiving

Last edited:

Yeah, sometimes the changes / features won't even show up.

The previous car I drove had a huge interior design refresh that was only available in China.

I've owned over 50 cars and have never seen a MFG do this with a vehicle. ...
Fifty cars are impressive! I've only owned 11 (with 3 being Teslas).

Often changes are made without even notifying the dealer. Or one part of the country gets a different configuration to save money. For older cars, radios were often changed without notice with different brands behind the nameplate. In the last few years, features and parts were removed due to supply issues. Again, rarely was anyone notified, unless it was really obvious. Everything from seat heaters to premium audio systems has been quietly dropped or modified depending on parts availability.

If you talk to an honest and observant car salesman, they will confirm changes appear all the time. This is rarely a concern as they are selling what appears on the lot with the window sticker of features.

This is why I've always leased throughout my entire life, but considering interest rates are sky high and there seems to be zero incentives like there has always been purchasing seems to be the safe bet.
Fifty cars are impressive! I've only owned 11 (with 3 being Teslas).

Often changes are made without even notifying the dealer. Or one part of the country gets a different configuration to save money. For older cars, radios were often changed without notice with different brands behind the nameplate. In the last few years, features and parts were removed due to supply issues. Again, rarely was anyone notified, unless it was really obvious. Everything from seat heaters to premium audio systems has been quietly dropped or modified depending on parts availability.

If you talk to an honest and observant car salesman, they will confirm changes appear all the time. This is rarely a concern as they are selling what appears on the lot with the window sticker of features.
Believe me I know. I had to order my S580 from California and ship it across the entire country as I couldn't find one that wasn't missing options. Since I got it for MSRP I ate the 3500 to ship it across the country. Oh and then for those buying cars from CA, they don't issue Temp tags LOL. I had to park the car for 7 weeks in my driveway why I waited for reg/tags lol. I've bought a few cars even in the last few years while all the nonsense was going on, but the thing is you kinda know what your getting. Personally I'm glad I purchased a 2021 MSP with USS, FSD, and 21" Arachnids. While I would have loved to be able to upgrade to V4 cameras, I consider myself very lucky buying the car now where at least I can use the functions I purchased.

Reactions: Destiny1701
It really sucks for guys like me! My car is only a few weeks old! It would be cool if Tesla offered recent purchases free AP upgrades.. if you had just Ap, an upgrade to enhanced and full FSD for the ones who purchased Enhanced🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

It really sucks for guys like me! My car is only a few weeks old! It would be cool if Tesla offered recent purchases free AP upgrades.. if you had just Ap, an upgrade to enhanced and full FSD for the ones who purchased Enhanced🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
It would be great if they did that for customer satisfaction/retention purposes. Even a some free supercharging miles would be appreciated!

Reactions: tskguy
Tesla just had their prices pumped up across the board to reflect demand. A dealership would have marked up the sale price over MSRP with some fluffy named fee so you knew up front that you were being screwed over what the car should cost in a normal market. Tesla doesn't need to adjust with fees since they don't have MSRPs, they just set the price at which they sell the cars.

Tesla just had their prices pumped up across the board to reflect demand. A dealership would have marked up the sale price over MSRP with some fluffy named fee so you knew up front that you were being screwed over what the car should cost in a normal market. Tesla doesn't need to adjust with fees since they don't have MSRPs, they just set the price at which they sell the cars.

Exactly. The net result was the same. What Tesla (as both the manufacturer and owner of the dealerships) did in 2022 with price increases is essentially the same as what other manufacturers and/or dealers were doing in 2022 with price increases or markups. Industry supply chain issues created unusually low inventories which created higher per car demand which Tesla and others took advantage of.