Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Rise - 23 Nov 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
I've having the following thoughts, not quite sure how much weight to attach to them, so would appreciate your thoughts please.

Monday 23rd Nov 2015 price is rising. Tesla say they don't know by how much, I've read on the Net that it will be 6%

Also the 2 x £500 for charger at work AND at home will reduce to one only. I need one at both home and work, so can take advantage of the double-deal.

My issue is that I need to get out of a 3 year finance deal on a VW that I am 1-year into. When the dust settles VW may hand me some cash, they might not, the question is whether I sit & wait, or "First loss is best loss" and treat anything I get from VW as bunce. My call on that of course ...

My Plan B is to place an order in Late January, to get the £5000 EV Grant discount. Apparently the grant is good based on date that order is PLACED and provided that car is delivered within 9 MONTHS. So I could get a late-Summer (September ...) delivery by which time my VW Finance will be 2/3rd done, and my depreciation will be 2-of-3 intended years, rather than 1-of-3 which I presume will be hideous. My position visa-vie VW might also have clarified by then.

If I place order next week I can presumably take advantage of a £1,000 intro discount from an existing owner? Probably can't do that next January?

I think BIK tax is changing next year, but not sure when - is that based on Order Date or Delivery / Payment date?

I'd appreciate advice on anything else which is known to be changing in that time period. Delaying my order might bring me more toys , but the upgrades have been so significant lately that my crystal ball suggests that more hardware advances (as distinct from software) are not very likely.

worse case scenario on a base car before 5k grant
70D with no options current cost 60000- rise of 5% add 3000 to it making it 63000
70d with no options current cost 60000- rise of 2% add 1200 making it 61200.
now i'm sure you are going to add some options which further increase price but not sure if options are also having a price rise.
if you lose than 3k on ur VW no sense to go for it now and make sure also u get the grant not to mention fuel savings and an awesome car.
i would say get a settlement quote and a value on ur car and thats the best way to make decision. also you can get £1k off the car now with referral code. if you haven't got one we will all be able to offer one. lol

I think BIK tax is changing next year, but not sure when - is that based on Order Date or Delivery / Payment date?

BIK percentages are set to increase each year for the next few years, but that applies irrespective of when you took delivery of the car - the tax you pay for a year april-april is:

(your marginal tax rate) * (that year's BIK percentage for type of car) * (list price at time of purchase)

or pro-rata if you only had use of the car for part of the year.

For pure EVs, the BIK percentages are:

2014/15: 0%
2015/16: 5 %
2016/17: 7 %
2017/18: 9 %
2018/19: 13 %
2019/20: 16 %

And "list price" includes VAT and is the value before taking off the £5000 grant if applicable.

70D with no options current cost 60000- rise of 5% add 3000 to it making it 63000

I'm after a P85D and several options, so a tad more :rolleyes: than 3000 ...

if you lose than 3k on ur VW no sense to go for it now

Ah, "Bingo!!" ... now that appeals to my Man Maths ...

... VW loss now is an extra (say) £5K, but if I buy Tesla THIS WEEK I save £5K. Kaboom!

i would say get a settlement quote and a value on ur car

Yup, that's in-process thanks, so I'll know that before I set sail for Heathrow - and if the figures are too bad to bear I shan't be sailing to Heathrow at all :crying:

Actually, I say "I", but this will be the wife's car so its down to her, and she is already pretty miserable about having her busy week intruded upon for the test drive as it is ("surely there must be somewhere closer than Heathrow that we can go to?")... so the maths definitely has to be right or I'm not taking her / she won't go!

also you can get £1k off the car now with referral code. if you haven't got one we will all be able to offer one

If you ALL give me one <fx:starts counting on all 10 fingers!!> I'll be in clover :)

BIK percentages are set to increase each year for the next few years, but that applies irrespective of when you took delivery of the car - the tax you pay for a year april-april is ... or pro-rata if you only had use of the car for part of the year.

Can't believe I missed that nugget, thanks. So its irrelevant when I buy because its an April-April thing. I thought it was based on the date of purchase, for a year, using the then-current BIK rate. Thanks, but it does mean that I can't hide behind that!

I'll try "BIK is going up each April, so if you hang on to the VW past April you'll get stung for the BIK on it. The BIK on an EV is a lot less"

Of course the Tesla is 3x the price of her current car, and 1/3rd of the BIK %-age, so actually it will be even-Stevens ...

That leaves the only other tipping point of the phasing out of the £5,000 grant. So one option, if the salesman will wear it, is to place order next week, get the current price and extra charging station voucher, but get the longest delivery period possible. Sticking another, say, 9 months on the VW will reduce the "Loss" quite a bit I expect.

Personally I'd throw the thing away and move on to the new pastures ... maybe my wife will be sufficiently wowed after a test drive that she will feel that way too. Right now she is so busy that she just sees the whole thing as a) me chucking my toys out of my pram because the current manufacturer has lied and cheated to us and b) me twisting her arm - not actually the case as I think it would be a good choice for her for several reason, including things like prestige (that intangible reassuringly-expensive thing), a likely side-benefit from being seen to be green, etc - let alone the more obvious Comfort, Enjoyment, getting a £100K car for the same monthly price as the £30K car, and so on.

When I went for a test drive my only negative (apart from the SatNav tenaciously holding on to O2 which is going to be a Pain in East Anglia) was that the car is wide. I expect its normal for an Audi A7 type sedan, but its wider than we've been used to for several iterations of car. I felt that placing it on the road / not hitting curbs etc. would take a bit of experience / judgement. I didn't think that was much-of-a-thing-though but when I mentioned it to my wife she sensibly said that would be an issue when bay-parking. Even in the VW Golf she struggles (NO!! NOT the Woman Thing!!) I expect because the bays are a) sized from when cars were smaller and b) sized to cram as many cars in as possible. A couple of cars ago she had a VW Scirocco. We both loved it, but it was not replaced because being 2-seater the doors had to be opened massively wide in order to get in and out (allowing for rear passenger too) and was very tight to park in multi storeys etc. So Hurry Up Mr Tesla with the unattended-stall-parking-option!

Obviously no worse than a Range Rover or whatever, but we don't drive one of those ... and that is most likely what she would be trying to park next to and would already be taking up 99% of ITS parking bay!

Hmmm ... perhaps there will be a falcon-wing door upgrade for the Model S?!!

Only a couple of of TE51Axx plate variations available from the DVLA. Have all the rest been sold??

Was only looking on the off chance in case there was something amusing rather than intending to buy one, just surprised that there wasn't pretty much every possible 2-letter combination still available.

That leaves the only other tipping point of the phasing out of the £5,000 grant. So one option, if the salesman will wear it, is to place order next week, get the current price and extra charging station voucher, but get the longest delivery period possible. Sticking another, say, 9 months on the VW will reduce the "Loss" quite a bit I expect.

I ordered an S85 in late September, with a requested delivery date of June 2016, due to being tied to a lease. Am a bit dubious that the £5000 grant will still be applied to this, as I am sure if the government did not extend the grant, they would say car must be registered before end of x month which is bound to be before mine gets delivered. I figured that as the order is confirmed, if the £5000 grant is cancelled would I cancel the purchase and loose the £1000 referral and £2000 placed as deposit out os spite. Don't think so.

Regards your wife and test drives, in my experience you just have to get her in the car to drive it. Once I had done a couple of miles, I was never not going to buy the car, and I now find my ICE car a drag waiting for June (231 days to go and counting if you assume an end of June delivery)

Re the grant- the news or the rumour until it becomes news is- it will be a tiered system based on Co2. obviously BEVs should have full grant and PHEV will have reduced based on co2- atleast thats the plan. I cant see it going completely.

Only a couple of of TE51Axx plate variations available from the DVLA. Have all the rest been sold??

Was only looking on the off chance in case there was something amusing rather than intending to buy one, just surprised that there wasn't pretty much every possible 2-letter combination still available.

Yes must have been sold or still on registered cars , that's why my brother and I ended up getting TE55LAM and TE55LAC unless you've got big pockets .

unless you've got big pockets .

I'd been waiting for the right numeric year to swing by for my ideal plate. Got ready fastest-finger-first on the day ... "Click here to register for an Auction for that plate at some future date" ... that was ages ago, maybe I never got the email and they had the auction already, but clearly I can't afford THAT one!!!

requested delivery date of June 2016, due to being tied to a lease. Am a bit dubious that the £5000 grant will still be applied to this

I was surprised that the sales lady said there was 9-months leeway available for delivery as I wouldn't have expected any, representative, brand to take that long ... but I guess there has to be some slack time after it is withdrawn because if you had a lower price car, £5K was make-or-break and your delivery slipped a couple of weeks you'd be stuffed. But as you say its not pivotal on a vehicle of this price.

Regards your wife and test drives, in my experience you just have to get her in the car to drive it. Once I had done a couple of miles, I was never not going to buy the car

I'm sure that will be the case ... but we've got other factors at play in the decision; the timing is awful for us. Also a fellow director (a PROPER Petrolhead) thinks its the wrong image (he wasn't consulted until just now). I haven't spoken to him directly, but I'm really surprised as I haven't formed that view at all - I would say "prestige" rather than "dickhead"

His view was that folk have an opinion of Tesla based on Top Gear's representation. Whilst I have no difficult with "prestige" being good for business, "dickhead" would definitely be bad.

I value that director's opinion, he's very astute, but I'd definitely not thought that the hedgehog rule applies:

Q: "Difference between a Hedgehog and a Teslar?" (formerly a Range Rover / Rolls Royce / whatever joke) A: "Hedgehog has its pricks on the outside"

Any chance of getting any unbiased opinions on this one, in this forum?

My thought is to drag him along to the test drive and see what he thinks of it in-the-flesh. I suspect that 90% of the clients won't know what a Tesla is (in terms of "You paid HOW much for that" and any possible "Bought just for Ludicrous Mode?" stigma), but maybe they will look down their noses? Definitely was NOT intending this to be a don't-show-this-at-work purchase

I was surprised that the sales lady said there was 9-months leeway available for delivery as I wouldn't have expected any, representative, brand to take that long

The 9 months was my request, so as not to be paying for two cars at once, and if you go to the TESLA website and do the process of ordering a car, but without committing to buy at the end, it offers a selection of dates available. In September the last available was June (Lucky me!)

Re your Director and his opinion, he needs to drive the car too. Top Gear IMHO was wrong. Never worried personally about Hedgehog jokes and much less likely to when behind the wheel of a Tesla! Anyone can be a prick behind a wheel, even the lady driving a Nissan Micra this morning who felt that she could overtake me on my pushbike and turn left BEFORE her car had finished passing me. Good old left hook! Perhaps she needs a Tesla with Autopilot :biggrin:

Also a fellow director (a PROPER Petrolhead) thinks its the wrong image (he wasn't consulted until just now). I haven't spoken to him directly
Clearly a misunderstanding. Sounds like someone told him you want a G-wizz.. or he doesn't know what a Tesla is (in which case he is not a proper petrol head! everyone on Piston heads knows of the Tesla, and it has good kudos there too.) A ludicrous Test drive would clear all of this up in seconds.. 2.8 seconds.. to be precise.

I've also got an email saying that the price may go up!
I'd advise anyone to act quick and at least place an order.
You'll lock the price, and you have 2 weeks cooldown period and you can get your deposit back if the price go down.
Don't forget to use a referral link
clear.png
:) , like mine.

Price doesn't appear (doing a configuration in "Design Studio") to have gone up.

Did I get the date wrong, or Tesla change their mind / delay perhaps?

I want to order as late as possible to get government incentives (finance on existing vehicle has some time to run, but a price rise would wipe out earlier exit cost of finance).