Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price rises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The £ is collapsing (cough Brexit cough) - down to 1.135 today. This will make the cars more expensive. Imagine there'll be more price rises. How long until the model 3 starts at £50k? This plus inflation will make the cost of living worse. Push up petrol prices which are bought and sold in $. Push up the price of ALL imports - especially if other currencies are going the other way and strengthening. The Euro might also be doing badly, but not as badly as the £. And yeah a massive trade deficit because we can't sell our goods abroad is bad for the £. University Business Economics degree so I do know what I'm talking about.
I bought my Dec 2020 (refreshed and with heatpump!) Model 3 for £39,100. 2nd hand from Tesla with 180 miles on the clock! Optional tow-hook, pearl white paint. Bloody bargain now!

Reactions: gangzoom
I bought my Dec 2020 (refreshed and with heatpump!) Model 3 for £39,100. 2nd hand from Tesla with 180 miles on the clock! Optional tow-hook, pearl white paint. Bloody bargain now!
Occasionally I 'regret' cancelling our Model 3 SR at the initial launch price. But than again our Lexus IS300H which the 3 would have replaced has cost us less than £500 to maintain since 2018, and does less than 500 miles per year.

Night temperatures down to 5 last night, the real cost of increase in gas/electricity is only just going to start hitting home as the nights get longer and colder, so who knows what's going to happen to inflation/£ etc.

At least none of us are having to fight for our lives, so in that respect life in the UK is pretty good.

Reactions: Dilly and Smidgeon
Against the dollar, Tesla's UK wage bill for its staff here has dropped significantly.

But still, companies and markets often use events to justify change.
surely that is nothing compared to the drop in profits on the cars which are priced in £s and will be netting them significantly less dollars than they were
given a change in exchange rate from 0.73 a year ago to 0.91 now.
If a car costs £58000 like an MY LR without bells and whistles then after VAT and import duty at current exchange rate that leaves Tesla with about $48000
That is all before UK staff, reg fees, shipping, service centre/ warrantee costs, supercharger levy etc. It was recently reported that the "Average" Tesla now costs $36000 to build but is an MYLR average? its not the smallest battery so the SR models will be dragging that average down but it is built in China which has to be cheaper than the US so who knows. but the profit easily be Less than $10K now. probably still not a bad margin in the automotive world but also maybe less than half what it was a year go even with the price rises.
I know everyone is predicting a fall in price for Tesla's based on lower waiting times but in this country I would not be surprised by more price rises.

surely that is nothing compared to the drop in profits on the cars which are priced in £s and will be netting them significantly less dollars than they were
given a change in exchange rate from 0.73 a year ago to 0.91 now.
If a car costs £58000 like an MY LR without bells and whistles then after VAT and import duty at current exchange rate that leaves Tesla with about $48000
That is all before UK staff, reg fees, shipping, service centre/ warrantee costs, supercharger levy etc. It was recently reported that the "Average" Tesla now costs $36000 to build but is an MYLR average? its not the smallest battery so the SR models will be dragging that average down but it is built in China which has to be cheaper than the US so who knows. but the profit easily be Less than $10K now. probably still not a bad margin in the automotive world but also maybe less than half what it was a year go even with the price rises.
I know everyone is predicting a fall in price for Tesla's based on lower waiting times but in this country I would not be surprised by more price rises.

I think you are taking me far too literally.

I'm saying... Those invested in the markets know very well how to handle this. Use it as an excuse to put prices up but why convert it back to dollars straight away, hold onto it and make a killing next year.

Multinational companies and investors play this game all the time. The markets aren't just random.

Last edited:
Fwiw a US long range Y is $66k, the exchange rate where it is basically nets the import duty so you just need to add VAT to that, so that is the equivalent of £79k.

Chinese costs etc obviously lower but commodity inputs are all priced in dollars and Chinese workers are not a dollar a day these days either.

A VW golf in Turkey today costs what an iPhone did there five years ago, thanks to inflation and a crap currency. People used to take that economy seriously too.